Our Offense

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Who has been stopping Navy dead cold for years? Currently they have the 5th highest rushing yards in the country. They finished 2nd in the country in rushing last year. When Navy has lost, it was because they were outmanned, not because their offense has been stopped.
If they had played Clemson for the last five years, they would have been stopped the last five years.

If they had played Clemson for the last five years, they would have been stopped the last five years.
They've played good ND teams the last five years and not been "stopped cold". You have no idea whether Clemson would have stopped them or not. Would Clemson have beat them? Probably, but there's no way of knowing if Clemson would have stopped them. For one thing, as hard as it is to admit, Navy has been CONSISTENTLY running their (Johnson's) offense better than we have last year and so far this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You missed an important part from that article though that really explains people's angst about this team.

"Of Tech’s 12 lowest yards-per-game average in the Johnson tenure, five have occurred in the past 13 games."

We may have had a lot of success up to 2014, but 2015-2016 have been really bad. The system has proven it can work, but this offense hasn't been very good for a while now.
I didn't miss it [emoji3] , point being it's not the "system". Results are due to the
Participants
and the
Execution.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is not about someone having the secrete to stopping the offense. Now you can have better techniques to help you out, but that is not the secrete to stopping this team from moving the ball.

• The offense does not work when the players don't go to the right guy or place
  • The offense has trouble when we get to the right guy and cannot stop him
  • The offense works when we get to the right guy and get in his way
  • The offense hums when we get to the right guy and make the blocks

Good techniques to give the offense difficulties is to change formations/blitz to cause confusion on blocking, guess right on where to defend and reinforce, and redirect/hold/pinch on releasing blockers. But guess what, this is what you do to all offenses and what good defenses do.

If GT goes to the right place and GT gets in their way, GT will do good and if not GT will not do good.

This offense is a trade off. You must have good execution in a scheme that is more complex , but you will be able to beat more talented defensive players. If you struggle due to the complexity, you will not win.

The inability to move the ball against Clemson has a lot more to do with getting to the right person than getting beat by that person. The game would have been dang close and or flipped if GT did not miss 22 assignments in the 1st half. (of course it is hard to think when a tree just smashed you in the mouth.)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
So TECH's young team is 3-1 so far having beaten the teams it was favored over and having lost to the national runner-up (sorry I realize that was last year and Clemson is probably weak now :)) the one it wasn't. Our execution on offense (missed assignments etc) seems to have dropped but we are young and that can be improved.

For me, we are about where I expected us to be. FSU was crushed by Louisville, Michigan state by Wisconsin, UGAG by Ole Miss and I believe all the losers were favored in those games. All of those teams don't run a high school offense that has been figured out long ago, have far superior recruiting classes, don't have crappy coaches like us and yet they lost big to teams they were favored against !!! We compete against many teams that simply have more talent, lower academic requirements etc but it seems many think Tech should win most of those games. It's just good to know that Tech engineers are doing such objective assessments.

So TECH's young team is 3-1 so far having beaten the teams it was favored over and having lost to the national runner-up (sorry I realize that was last year and Clemson is probably weak now :)) the one it wasn't. Our execution on offense (missed assignments etc) seems to have dropped but we are young and that can be improved.

For me, we are about where I expected us to be. FSU was crushed by Louisville, Michigan state by Wisconsin, UGAG by Ole Miss and I believe all the losers were favored in those games. All of those teams don't run a high school offense that has been figured out long ago, have far superior recruiting classes, don't have crappy coaches like us and yet they lost big to teams they were favored against !!! We compete against many teams that simply have more talent, lower academic requirements etc but it seems many think Tech should win most of those games. It's just good to know that Tech engineers are doing such objective assessments.
Your sarcasm is point on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Most important is the tape for 2015 ND, 2015 Clemson game, and now 2016 are available to world.

The OB tape from 2009 has been out there for years but 2014 still happened.

There's no secret to stopping the option. The question is can you actually do it. Since CPJ has been here, there have really only been a few times where we were generally shut down. LSU, Iowa, ND, Clemson x2. It's fresh in our minds right now, but if it only happens against Clemson this year, then there's not really a ton to worry about. If this becomes a trend, then I think there is a bigger issue.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This thread is troll manna.

We lose convincingly and all of a sudden, our offense needs to be replaced immediately. The argument is that we got out-coached.

Had we lost by a single possession at the last minute, like we did so often last year, the argument would be that we also got out-coached.

Apparently, it's not ever acceptable to lose a football game, no matter the ranking of your opponent.

Instead, let's all just grab our pitchforks and torches and burn the house down around us...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The OB tape from 2009 has been out there for years but 2014 still happened.

There's no secret to stopping the option. The question is can you actually do it. Since CPJ has been here, there have really only been a few times where we were generally shut down. LSU, Iowa, ND, Clemson x2. It's fresh in our minds right now, but if it only happens against Clemson this year, then there's not really a ton to worry about. If this becomes a trend, then I think there is a bigger issue.
I was at orange bowl in 2009. Iowa had one defensive tackle (Claiborne I think) who was totaly unblockable . He was on our left side and occupied 2 linemen or he was in backfield. We could not run left. There was no scheme - unless u call beast on left every body else to right. . Without him we would have had good chance. Alsov late in game coach adjusted and we found a few creases to the right. I assume that guy went to pro football.

Lets wait till the whistle blows at end of ga southern . Hopefully our offense helps us beat either miami or Pittsburgh and ga southern.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Spoiler alert for the rest of the season: If the offense performs well nothing will happen in this thread. If it doesn't the same three or four attention whores will spam it at every opportunity.

Thats a little uncalled for, i think the discussions here have been reasonable and civil

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate to come out and admit this but I am starting to truly dislike our offense, two straight years of getting shut down by good defenses is wearing down my love for CPJ and the spread-option. It seems like the top teams with fast defenses like ND, VT, Clem etc have figured out how to disrupt our blocking schemes just enough to cut our running efficiency way down, unless we manage to get a passing game going which is very rare these days. I mean i hate to sound like a pussyassquiter but this is getting harder and harder to watch.

Am i the 0nly one here feeling this?

Let's just run the same **** everyone else does. That'll be a terrific advantage.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at orange bowl in 2009. Iowa had one defensive tackle (Claiborne I think) who was totaly unblockable . He was on our left side and occupied 2 linemen or he was in backfield. We could not run left. There was no scheme - unless u call beast on left every body else to right. . Without him we would have had good chance. Alsov late in game coach adjusted and we found a few creases to the right. I assume that guy went to pro football.

You are referring to Adrian Clayborn, former 1st round draft pick of Tampa Bay and now playing defensive end for the Falcons. When I saw the DT for Clemson consistently getting push into the backfield, I also thought of Clayborn. Unfortunately in both cases, adjustments were made too late.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You are referring to Adrian Clayborn, former 1st round draft pick of Tampa Bay and now playing defensive end for the Falcons. When I saw the DT for Clemson consistently getting push into the backfield, I also thought of Clayborn. Unfortunately in both cases, adjustments were made too late.
Yea thats the guy (monster).
Actually I feel like the dts for 2014 Clemson were more studly than this years clemson . My first game at tech in years and I watched braun, burden (?) & mason hold these guys to a draw.
It was epic. Wonder if those two dt made the nfl. ?
Not to hijack the thread, but glanton kerge, adams and martin have beast potential in a few years. The guys we have at dt are too tall IMO

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to hijack the thread, but glanton kerge, adams and martin have beast potential in a few years. The guys we have at dt are too tall IMO

Too tall? You do realize that the DT for Clemson blowing up our line was 6-5, 340lbs. Yes, Gamble and Kallon are both listed at 6-5 however the rest of our guys are 6-3 or shorter.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I was a little confused when I read somewhere that CPJ said that Adams was good but needed to lose some weight to get more playing time ??
I don't have his stats in front of me but he looks like the perfect size/shape for a DT/NG, stand your ground, stand-up the OL and plug-up the middle of the line.
He looked very good to me just the way he is !!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Too tall? You do realize that the DT for Clemson blowing up our line was 6-5, 340lbs. Yes, Gamble and Kallon are both listed at 6-5 however the rest of our guys are 6-3 or shorter.
Yes I realize our dt are 6-5 285# and theirs is 330 plus and can run . We dont get those players.

Seems like U are agreeing with me that the three back ups kerge, adams glanton are 6-2 ish.

There is an article floating around on the size of recruits that ala gets. They want the long armed short leg 330# dt to hold the middle.

We are on track to be very good when adams looses a few and kerge glanton gain a few