Our defense is awful...

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember this game?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400547772

People were saying the same thing after the Wofford game in 2014. We made a bowl game that year. I think we'll make one this year...

Hard to compare the 2014 team to this one. Senior leadership was at an all-time high that year. Since 2014 the offense has looked lost at times on the field. 2 games into 2016 and we still look lost at our skill positions. No one is playing "fast" and that includes JT. It's funny, every year we are a "young" team. Does a GT team ever grow up? When an FCS school can play keep away it should be a concern. We will know quite a bit more about this team in the next couple of weeks.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Hard to compare the 2014 team to this one. Senior leadership was at an all-time high that year. Since 2014 the offense has looked lost at times on the field. 2 games into 2016 and we still look lost at our skill positions. No one is playing "fast" and that includes JT. It's funny, every year we are a "young" team. Does a GT team ever grow up? When an FCS school can play keep away it should be a concern. We will know quite a bit more about this team in the next couple of weeks.

Our offense looked lost during the entire first half of the Wofford game in 2014, as well as most of the second half of the GaSo game. Conversely, our O seemed extremely efficient through the first two games of 2015.

As for the Mercer game, our offense moved the ball every time we had it. Other than two fumbles, we very likely would have scored 49 points. We did this with with our starting BB on the bench suspended. Also, we were playing vanilla on O. Other than a few passes to dial in the aerial attack, we stuck to the basics.

These first two games tell us next to nothing, other than that we are undefeated. We will know what this teams identity will be over the next few weeks. To claim that the sky is falling now is every bit as foolish as claiming we'll go 10-2 based off the results so far.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion if Johnson fires Roof he's next and I think he knows that.

We r 2-0 and teams have scored very few points on us.
Roof just recruited the Seilling kids.

At the end of mercer game several times he let the dl hit the gaps on slant rush. They were effective.

Wish coach johnson or WEST would help him w x o on timing the aggressive rush.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
We are a well coached defense and if you do not see it, cuz you are not smart about football

If that's true, then CPJ keeps the best recruits on offense, and gives Roof the rest...or we aren't recruiting very well, period. Our defense almost always has a deer-in-the-headlights look about it.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
If we get rid of Roof and hire someone else, that will be our 4th DC in the CPJ era. I'm just not sure Roof is the problem.

I think it's both Roof and the recruiting. If we recruited better, he could probably get it done, but with our recruiting the last few years, we need a super-DC, and Roof is not that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have averaged giving up 12 points per game this season to date. Let's keep that in mind before we start calling for changes. I like an agressive D, for a lot of reasons, when paired with our offense, but I am not so sure this season's roster is the one to do it with. Could we have done it more in the recent past? Without a doubt. Look, DJ White and Chris Milton could turn and run with ANYBODY. To my eye Durham looks relatively fast, but I am not so sure we really want to be putting our corners on an island just yet. I watched Lamont for a few plays Saturday and I haven't formed a solid opinion on him either way. Lance is a physical kid with good short space quickness and some tackling ability, but he is not long, nor could he run with Chris Milton. We need to be careful right now. If I were in Ted's shoes, I'm not sure I would have done a lot different to this point.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We have averaged giving up 12 points per game this season to date. Let's keep that in mind before we start calling for changes. I like an agressive D, for a lot of reasons, when paired with our offense, but I am not so sure this season's roster is the one to do it with. Could we have done it more in the recent past? Without a doubt. Look, DJ White and Chris Milton could turn and run with ANYBODY. To my eye Durham looks relatively fast, but I am not so sure we really want to be putting our corners on an island just yet. I watched Lamont for a few plays Saturday and I haven't formed a solid opinion on him either way. Lance is a physical kid with good short space quickness and some tackling ability, but he is not long, nor could he run with Chris Milton. We need to be careful right now. If I were in Ted's shoes, I'm not sure I would have done a lot different to this point.

This post reeks of reason and logic. I am not sure it's appropriate to the thread...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How long till I can start complaining that AJ Gray isn't All-American? :ROFLMAO:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'd agree with you if this were a league game or a game against another Power-5 team. But it wasn't. This was a game against a FCS team that went 5-6 last year. Mercer should not have been able to move the ball on us like they did. The fact that we held them to 10 points is irrelevant. I'm not concerned about Mercer. I never felt the outcome was ever in question. My concern is that this may be a portent of our future performance. My concern is if we play like this against more skilled teams, are we going to be good enough offensively to keep up with our opponents?

I'm not doom and gloom here, just sharing my concern. I'm not saying we're awful or that it's all CTR's fault (although others are), I'm saying I'm concerned with how our defense performed against an FCS team. Boston College had an anemic offense last year (the reason they lost games because their defense was stout), yet they basically out-played our defense until the very end.

If our defense can keep teams out of the endzone and off the scoreboard like they have in the first two games, I'll not care how many yards they give up between the 20's. However, if the first two games is a reflection of how we're going to be, I'm concerned we won't be able to score enough points to win consistently.

Well said. Agree completely.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer, You're probably right. Seriously, I know you're probably right, but it's not what I want! I want us to force the play!

By playing reactionarilly (my newly created word), I'm
not convinced that we won't get beaten anyway---especially when giving them so much time and space. Or, worse (in my mind), they dink and dump us apart with a long, demoralizing, time-consuming, 17-play scoring drive to start the 3rd qtr...ugh.

I think we're better served by disrupting the play before it's started. Let's shoot, shoot, look...not look, look, shoot.

I'd rather we have an aggressive philosophy first and go find the players for it rather than play conservatively until we find the right players to be aggressive. Build it and they will come.

Just one man's opinion after a few beers...

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
While Roof isn't some silver bullet coach that rivals hiring Nick Saban as our DC, I like him more than the previous DCs under Johnson. I do not know exactly why Tenuta had some good success in the mid 2000s. Perhaps he had better scheme, better coaching, betting player development, got to practice against a traditional O, hit the jackpot with his 3 star players versus Roofs 3 star players, etc. I am not sure.

However, I think most would agree that the biggest issue we have on defense is overall talent level. We don't have any All-American type players out there. I believe Roof has had more success on the recruiting trail than his predecessors and he is just getting going since it takes a few years to get going (build relationships with recruits and nurture them throughout the recruiting lifecycle). If you fire Roof, you can probably say goodbye to some of our top rated recruits in this recruiting class.

Interesting points about Tenuta. Terrible recruiter but his schemes fit our personnel then perfectly. The linebackers and defensive backs were in your grill from the get go. Darryl Smith, Phillip Wheeler, etc. were fine football players. Smart, aggressive, and knew the system. K Hall was unbelievable in blitz packages. His timing was a sight to behold. Had some really fine defensive linemen from that era too. If you even thought about a tunnel screen or short pass, they would be on it like a fire ant mound run over by a lawnmower. Most teams had a really hard time making drives against those teams because inevitably your quarterback would get sacked and it was like ringing the dinner bell they would come even harder the next play.