Our defense is awful...

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
While Roof isn't some silver bullet coach that rivals hiring Nick Saban as our DC, I like him more than the previous DCs under Johnson. I do not know exactly why Tenuta had some good success in the mid 2000s. Perhaps he had better scheme, better coaching, betting player development, got to practice against a traditional O, hit the jackpot with his 3 star players versus Roofs 3 star players, etc. I am not sure.

However, I think most would agree that the biggest issue we have on defense is overall talent level. We don't have any All-American type players out there. I believe Roof has had more success on the recruiting trail than his predecessors and he is just getting going since it takes a few years to get going (build relationships with recruits and nurture them throughout the recruiting lifecycle). If you fire Roof, you can probably say goodbye to some of our top rated recruits in this recruiting class.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
While Roof isn't some silver bullet coach that rivals hiring Nick Saban as our DC, I like him more than the previous DCs under Johnson. I do not know exactly why Tenuta had some good success in the mid 2000s. Perhaps he had better scheme, better coaching, betting player development, got to practice against a traditional O, hit the jackpot with his 3 star players versus Roofs 3 star players, etc. I am not sure.

However, I think most would agree that the biggest issue we have on defense is overall talent level. We don't have any All-American type players out there. I believe Roof has had more success on the recruiting trail than his predecessors and he is just getting going since it takes a few years to get going (build relationships with recruits and nurture them throughout the recruiting lifecycle). If you fire Roof, you can probably say goodbye to some of our top rated recruits in this recruiting class.

Actually, I'm not sure most would agree on the biggest issue. I think that's the debate.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Roof seems to have turned the corner on recruiting.
However his clever defense of giving ground for most of game then at" his " call flipping to aggressive to get a stop or turn over is not impressive. I feel he is less talented tactician (x o).
One good thing is we cant get much less aggressive since that guy who I won't mention is gone.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

I like to think AJ Gray will be all American in 1-2 years. One can hope.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
No need to pile on, gang; the context makes it pretty clear that he meant '14. We all make mistakes.
It's part of the Ma Tech incentive plan. "One mistake and you're through!" And besides, who's to say he's not clairvoyant? You can't blame a guy for wanting to make some money off Vinnie Boombah.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, I'm not sure most would agree on the biggest issue. I think that's the debate.

Fair--I shouldn't speak for everyone. However, I hope everyone realizes that we lack talent compared to other programs. Wommack led a great Ole Miss defense the last few years and I thought he was absolutely horrid here. Talent is the difference there. And I'm not one who is ready to get rid of our first DC who has proven capable of attracting a higher level of recruit under Johnson. We may never have a defense full of Army All-Americans, but getting these high 3 star guys with many other P5 offers could be the difference we need to become a consistent top-35 D (with hopefully a top 15 O).

We also don't have a Pat Fitzgerald-type head coach who makes it easier to imagine a great D with less-heralded recruits. I think we are more likely to find another Wommack/Groh/Roof than Don Brown. Not to mention, BC has only had a good defense for the past two years. Recruiting rankings are great from a macro level, but it is certainly possible BC just got lucky on 5 or 6 guys who turned into studs. From watching them against us, those guys looked pretty beastly to me (and that is down two NFL guys from last year's team). I think We'd be better off to keep Roof and allow him to raise the talent level from a C- to a B-/B than to find some fix-all DC.

Fair--I shouldn't speak for everyone. However, I hope everyone realizes that we lack talent compared to other programs. Wommack led a great Ole Miss defense the last few years and I thought he was absolutely horrid here. Talent is the difference there. And I'm not one who is ready to get rid of our first DC who has proven capable of attracting a higher level of recruit under Johnson. We may never have a defense full of Army All-Americans, but getting these high 3 star guys with many other P5 offers could be the difference we need to become a consistent top-35 D (with hopefully a top 15 O).

We also don't have a Pat Fitzgerald-type head coach who makes it easier to imagine a great D with less-heralded recruits. I think we are more likely to find another Wommack/Groh/Roof than Don Brown. Not to mention, BC has only had a good defense for the past two years. Recruiting rankings are great from a macro level, but it is certainly possible BC just got lucky on 5 or 6 guys who turned into studs. From watching them against us, those guys looked pretty beastly to me (and that is down two NFL guys from last year's team). I think We'd be better off to keep Roof and allow him to raise the talent level from a C- to a B-/B than to find some fix-all DC.
Based on Wommack's D for the Ole Miss / FSU game, I think I'm glad he's gone. As uncertain (still) as I am about Roof, I think we might have the better of the two at Tech now.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

We did not often go against HUNH horizontal pass attacks from a spread formation. You are more often better served by dropping eight than sending six.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I would agree with allowing him to stay and coach guys up if he had a history of doing that, but even at auburn with all the talent they get, he didn't have a top D

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
I would agree with allowing him to stay and coach guys up if he had a history of doing that, but even at auburn with all the talent they get, he didn't have a top D

You can't just say Auburn had a bunch of talent because they are Auburn and they traditionally recruit well. Doing well on signing day will increase your odds at a talented roster, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Outside of Nick Fairley, they did not have as much talent as many of their SEC counterparts. I'm not sure if there was one guy on that D who had any type of NFL career other than Fairley. Yet that D won them the national title by doing well enough against Oregon when it mattered.

I am also a PSU fan and while I'd say Bob Shoop was probably a little better than Roof, Roof did well in his one season (16th nationally in scoring D) with a talented roster.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You can't just say Auburn had a bunch of talent because they are Auburn and they traditionally recruit well. Doing well on signing day will increase your odds at a talented roster, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Outside of Nick Fairley, they did not have as much talent as many of their SEC counterparts. I'm not sure if there was one guy on that D who had any type of NFL career other than Fairley. Yet that D won them the national title by doing well enough against Oregon when it mattered.

I am also a PSU fan and while I'd say Bob Shoop was probably a little better than Roof, Roof did well in his one season (16th nationally in scoring D) with a talented roster.
My point was at auburn he didn't have a top 35 D with better recruiting so what would make you think he will coach our guys up to a top 35 D. If I saw him do it at other schools I would understand, but he didn't.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If we had great personel but were getting crappy results I'd be more worried. I see some good young talent brewing in the front seven. Unless you are getting top DL's it's going to take awhile.

IMO Roof will magically get better as the Adams, Woods, St Amours, Cerges, Mitchells and Curries, etc of the world get better (and you inject some swilling whoop arse). The secondary I'm not worried about because GT always seems to attract good secondary guys.

Right now IMO his D's are more predicated on not giving up the big play. It stinks because we have no pass rush and other schools know we have to blitz to get pressure so they game that. We also have a lot of young guys with eye-discipline issues and tackling needs to improve.

I am not sold on Roof as a DC but I do want to see what he does at GT with some of the guys from the last two classes. I also value his fit for the program, his character, his repuation, and his recruiting ability/ties in GA.

I am not happy with what we are seeing on the field, but I think there is enough reason to expect improvement over time. I mean, right now do we have cats like BC has running around on D? I'd have to say no.

I personally am willing to be patient, but that's just me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I also value his fit for the program, his character, his repuation, and his recruiting ability/ties in GA.

I am not happy with what we are seeing on the field, but I think there is enough reason to expect improvement over time. I mean, right now do we have cats like BC has running around on D? I'd have to say no.

I personally am willing to be patient, but that's just me.

I am in agreement, The "let's fire, hire and hope the next guy is better" approach is not a sound one imo. It would be CPJ's 4th DC so it would lead to bigger ?'s about his ability to hire the right guy. Besides, we are only 2 games into a season...way too early for the wailing and gnashing of teeth. let's see how thing unfold.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
My point was at auburn he didn't have a top 35 D with better recruiting so what would make you think he will coach our guys up to a top 35 D. If I saw him do it at other schools I would understand, but he didn't.

I understand, I'm just saying that Auburn's defensive talent wasn't all that great back then and we are not that far off. However, he has proven he can lead a successful defense given talent (PSU 2012).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
sorry..PJ is as competitive as anyone in CFB. Playing Mercer had nothing to do with him doing anything other than what he did. This is a bad football team. This was a cupcake and the longest rush from the premiere position (BB) 10 yards? We look and play like a low level D2 team. Honestly, we didn't get any better from week 1 IMO. It will be a real struggle to get bowl eligible.

Remember this game?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400547772

People were saying the same thing after the Wofford game in 2014. We made a bowl game that year. I think we'll make one this year...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Most have forgotten the Wofford game and the come from the depths of almost losing to GSU after having a "comfortable" half time lead. Only remember UGA and Ms St games. ;)

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
If Roof doesnt think we can be aggressive or do anything different bc we dont have the talent, Idk if I want someone coaching who thinks we are that bad/untalented. Losing before the game ever starts