Opening Weekend - St Peters, Cincinnati, St Johns

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m not super worried about the results from this weekend. Let’s not forget how last year started. 2 nail biter wins vs. UIC and WVU, and a blowout loss to Richmond. St Johns is definitely the best of the 3 teams Tech played this weekend, and everything just went their way today. Tuesday will be a good test. Statesboro is always electric when Tech comes to town. Will be a hostile environment for sure. Ohio State next weekend will be the first “real” opponent of the season. Regional team last year, and will be hungry to knock off a highly touted ACC team. It’ll be exciting, and probably set the tone for the rest of the year, much like the UCLA series last year.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I'd like to see a Fast Hook Hall. Don't really care who starts.

Even more, like to see a win and playing good baseball. We played good baseball 2 of 3 games. The cold weather was a home field advantage for St Johns? (grasping for something).
I always feel better after reading your posts. Thank you!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see a Fast Hook Hall. Don't really care who starts.

Even more, like to see a win and playing good baseball. We played good baseball 2 of 3 games. The cold weather was a home field advantage for St Johns? (grasping for something).

My thoughts from being there:

Good win vs. St. Peters. Every Freshman pitcher we put out there seemed to overpower their hitters. Nice game for the defense. OK game for the offense. Would have liked to see more from them, but they hit when they needed to.

Good win vs. Cincinnati. I can go to work tomorrow and not be ridiculed for the next decade for UC beating Tech in baseball... Overall, good pitching and an offense that got the hits when they needed to (again). Cincinnati's starting pitcher was pitching well. The game got away from them when they put in a reliever that couldn't throw strikes (11 balls in a row if I recall correctly). A little sloppy T8, when Cincinnati scored 3 runs to cut it to 6-4. The box score credited Archer with 2 ER, but I believe it should only be 1 ER in that inning. Can I file a scoring protest?

As for Sunday against St. Johns, Nuke may have flushed it in the 6th. I flushed it after 4 when it started raining, we were down 6-0, and I had a 7.5 hour drive ahead of me. Most of those first 6 runs were self inflicted. 8 of our first 12 hitters had struck out. The 6th run we gave up was on a wild pitch where the runner scored from first when we decided to throw it around the park like a little league team. We have a young team at certain positions. We'll learn when to try to make a play versus when not to.

As a bonus, got to listen to the women's basketball game on WREK driving out of town. Listened from the half when we were down 5 to when Tech let a 12 point lead dwindle to 6 in the 4th quarter. The WREK broadcast then started getting out of range, so I changed the station. Glad to check this morning to see that they beat NC State on the road. Great win for the Lady Jackets!