Opening Weekend - St Peters, Cincinnati, St Johns

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So far this year:
  • Pitching - like where it is going. Wish we had pitched more than 2 yesterday for experience, but can't argue with the result. Hope for a power explosion today and seeing 4 pitchers like we did on Friday.
  • Hitting - worried about the lack of hitting and runs. Seems to be that way early every season for us, then we get hot in April. We have only scored 6 runs per 8 innings so far. Yesterday's big 5th inning 4 runs were largely from a misplayed deep outfield fly (ruled a hit not an error but was very catchable). Our power is a concern; The Baron has much better plate discipline and when he did strike out went to 9 pitches in the count. Just not the results; batting .143. But we did coax 6 walks and 1 HBP to complement our 9 hits.
  • Defense - really nice plays being made that were the difference. The in-field seems very tight and Holland had a beautiful throw out of a steal attempt. Highlights in the outfield too even though I miss Nick. We did have two errors yesterday - one on The Baron not fielding cleanly and another on Webb I didn't see.
  • Baserunning - very aggressive and effective so far. Stole 2 of 3 yesterday. We have speed.
I never worry about early season offense. It takes hitters some time to get in a rhythm and adjust to pitching from someone other than their own guys.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Mike Hampton, 0-2 in his first two games as HC of St. John’s.

Roedig, pitched so well down the stretch in the ACC Tournament, Regional, should get the start today at 1 pm.

Looks like Bartnicki is the weekday starter?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Mike Hampton, 0-2 in his first two games as HC of St. John’s.

Roedig, pitched so well down the stretch in the ACC Tournament, Regional, should get the start today at 1 pm.

Looks like Bartnicki is the weekday starter?
I'd like to see Bartnicki be #2 out of the pen behind Archer. Let one of the freshmen (Arnold maybe) or Brace start weekday games.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I'd like to see Bartnicki be #2 out of the pen behind Archer. Let one of the freshmen (Arnold maybe) or Brace start weekday games.
I got you. Makes sense. My thoughts were to work the young guys in LR. Value those weekday games as a chance to gain some wins vs. those 4th starters that aren’t as experienced as Luke.

Other opinions?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'd rather Bartnicki start Fridays and Maxwell start mid-week. Maxwell may have potential but until he is consistent, that's where I'd put him.

Especially with uGag being a weekend series.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't see Bartnicki as a starter, unless the new pitching coach has changed him. Last year, he had problems going for a second inning.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
CDH was vague (my interpretation) in a few interviews leading up to this weekend & even in some post-game interviews.

Based on all that... again he never committed to anything... but my feeling is the only thing settled now is Hughes & Roedig will be weekend starters. I believe they are Fri/Sat respectively, right now.

The difficulty in laying it out is there will have to be freshman as major contributors when you think of a staff that must lean on 4 starters each week, a few relievers to settle game & bridge to a reliable closer. That's a minimum of 7 different pitchers getting innings with leverage. In no particular order...
Hughes
Roedig
Maxwell
Archer
Bartnicki

That's 5. Still 2-4 more to fill in. On Friday, those 3 freshman (that followed Maxwell) held their own. Looked good.

Archer threw 4 innings yesterday & a few more pitches than Hughes. Perhaps a "check" on whether he can start?

We shall see... I have no idea what the rotation will be. I have a feeling Maxwell gets Sunday start v OSU, but each start is another test for him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So far, so good. Like what I have heard about the pithing in particular...although the frosh issued too many walks for my tastes...they did not give up hardly any hits. But better teams will get hits off them and the whole key is to not give "free runs" by putting guys on base other than by hits.

I haven't SEEN any of the action as I am traveling but it sounds decent so far. Just gotta be careful we don't play a sloppy game....that's the kind you lose early season when the offense is sluggish.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Today sucked, but we won 2 out of 3 which is all we need to do.
Roedig didn't have his best stuff today, but he still struck out 6. Arnold looked really good, but Finley struggled mightily.

With the lineup, I hope Hall mixes it up a little. I would like to see us go with Compton in the 3 hole, Radcliffe 4th, Jenkins 5th and then Hall hitting 6th.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
George P Burdell had applicable advice that applies today....he famously said,

"Stare at the turd for a little bit... learn what there is to learn.... [perhaps something about how you have to be prepared to play every day]... then flush it!!"

2 days to be ready again. Next up Ga Southern in Statesboro. Unbeaten in 2020. Thinking Bartnicki gets the start?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
George P Burdell had applicable advice that applies today....he famously said,

"Stare at the turd for a little bit... learn what there is to learn.... [perhaps something about how you have to be prepared to play every day]... then flush it!!"

2 days to be ready again. Next up Ga Southern in Statesboro. Unbeaten in 2020. Thinking Bartnicki gets the start?
Chapman probably gets the start as an “opener” and Bartnicki throws 4-5 innings out of the pen

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the purposes of fun only. A few Fred predictions for weekend.

Fri W 14-6
Sat W 4-1
Sun W 7-2

St Peter executes a gameplan to force Maxwell to throw strikes. It sort of works. He runs his pitch count up... CDH pulls him short of 5 innings (but 3 innings after @GTNavyNuke says to pull him). ;) So... not a W for the freshman, unfortunately.

Radcliff finishes weekend with 3HR & 8RBI.

Waddell & Guldberg both finish weekend with BAs a

Wiley is excellent & entertaining.

Well, I flushed the game in the 6th. We didn't quite score 25 this weekend (13). We didn't hold the opponents to 9 (closer at 15). Lucky we didn't lose to Cincinnati as a play or two going the other way would have been the difference.

Slow Hook Hall is still in control. He left Roedig in way too long in the 4th and then into the fifth. He was probably hoping to salvaging something for Roedig after giving up on winning the game. But in the end it didn't matter. Not our day today.

Just win Tuesday.

I like The Baron at ninth till he starts hitting. That way the leadoff hitter will give him some cover. One hit this weekend ain't gonna cut it. Hall looks really rusty too. Not playing past of the fall didn't help. But I think Hall is more likely to bounce back than The Baron. The Baron had a bad summer from a strike out point of view.

One prediction that was dead nuts on: Wiley was very entertaining along with Roddy. Those guys are just fun together.