Opening Weekend - St Peters, Cincinnati, St Johns

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Another nice win!! Hughes was fantastic today and Archer looked a little rusty, but he got outs when he needed to. I'm so impressed by the trio of freshmen in the lineup. They are all going to be day 1 draft picks imo.

I’ve seen a lot of our freshmen players play up at lakepoint and they are legit! same with next years class, we have some insane talent here and coming in!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I believe Texas Tech finished Houston Baptist off in 7 inn., 24-2. A skunk?
#25 Ole Miss. defeated #1 Louisville, 8-6.
Dwags beat Richmond 9-3.
Duke came from way back to take Army by a run.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Hughes was very much improved. I have been hearing that. I am very impressed by our team, and have attended both games. The relay throw by Waddel, to nail the runner at the plate was fantastic as was the play by the freshman catcher. The throw by Radcliff that almost got the runner scoring from third was awesome, from medium RF to the catcher, shoulder high, and on the fly.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
we are recruiting way better recently then we were?
We’ve typically recruited well and this is another stellar class.

It goes without saying, James Ramsey has made a difference with the hitters.
Jury is still out on Danny Borrell, but his pedigree and what he has set up-sure looks really good. Coaching can make the difference.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Tech baseball has almost always recruited in or near the top 25. Recruiting is marginally better, but the biggest difference is the amount of out of state players that are signing. Historically almost all of GT’s signees came from Georgia high schools.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
We’ve typically recruited well and this is another stellar class.

It goes without saying, James Ramsey has made a difference with the hitters.
Jury is still out on Danny Borrell, but his pedigree and what he has set up-sure looks really good. Coaching can make the difference.
Im a big mlb guy but not gonna lie i dont rlly follow college baseball besides wanting gt to win but not like the bball and fball team. So this might be stupid ? Who is James Ramsey and why is he making such a difference? It sounds like hes a hitting coach but besides that...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Im a big mlb guy but not gonna lie i dont rlly follow college baseball besides wanting gt to win but not like the bball and fball team. So this might be stupid ? Who is James Ramsey and why is he making such a difference? It sounds like hes a hitting coach but besides that...
Came from FSU. A lot of folks think he'll be Danny Halls successor

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach Ramsey was an All-American at FSU. Drafted by St Louis in 1st round in 2012. Played professionally until 2018 when he took on a volunteer assistant role at FSU. Coach Hall grabbed him as a paid assistant at Ga Tech just prior to 2019 season (in January) when Coach Mike Nickeas had to step down due to a family medical situation. Good for us Mike Martin had no paid opening for him at FSU.

Of note... he played HS ball in greater Atlanta area (Peachtree Corners).

Ramsey infused energy into program with his style...in general...as well as some analytics. Last season it seemed obvious his presence made a difference in our offense & defense.

In addition... by all appearances, he just seems like a good dude...really good.

Folks are ready to anoint him as the successor to CDH. I'm all for it... but not sure that's the way it will work out. If we assume Hall retires in 3-5 years (he just got an extension). At that point, hiring Ramsey would mean you are hiring a guy with 5-8 years experience as an assistant college baseball coach. Ga Tech's HC job will be a VERY attractive opening for most D1 head coaches. Ramsey would be competing with a field of a lot of guys with head coach experience. Good problem to have... but TStan will have an interesting situation on his hands.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yes we are recruiting better than we were. Attached are the recruiting stats since 2011.

I like the average points per player as the best metric. In that category, the classes we have seen come in are about the same (5.0-5.2 average per player) over the last 3 years. 2019 class was ranked very high due to size (19 commits) - and we have some diamonds in there.

Next year's class has a 7.3 point per player average (13 commits). That will probably drop as some will go to MLB as we may pick up a few lower ranked players to fill a need. But I guess that the class will average a lot better in the sixes.

2021's class has a 8.2 player average (10 commits). 2022's has a 9.75 player average (4 commits). Those will change a lot as the players change and we get more commits; they are only Jrs and Sos in HS right now.

But we are recruiting better than we were, the 2019 class was really recruited several years ago. Pre-Ramsey and pre-Borrell; both are game changers I believe.

Attachments

• 2020 Recruiting Comparison.pdf
    424.4 KB · Views: 13

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yes you guys are recruiting better and more out of state.
You're expanding your reach for talent out of state. Prior GT would only pull in 2 or so.

We out of state recruits notice things like that and talk. No sense in trying to go to a school that doesn't recruit out of state or your state.
Waste of time and opportunity. We bypassed both GA and GT for that reason in our initial searches and lists.

The addition of Ramsey and Borrell have made people take notice and adjust and TALK!!

2019 6/19 out of state
2020 2/13
2021 has 6/10
2022 has 2/4

GA's
2019 0/14
2020 1/15
2021 2/8
2022 0/1

FYI, GT dropped a spot to 14 with PG re-rankings of the 2021 class (for those that did winter showcases) (MissSt jumped from 15 to 11 and pushed us down).
Texas dropped from 81 to 88. No worries that will all change again when summer ball comes.

This was one of the many ways Christian and I looked at and compared schools. Big recruiting classes are scary. Taking lots of Pitchers is scary. You want to go where you have a chance to make, stay on the team, and play.
Vandy with 20 w/10 pitchers, Ark with 19.... GT's 2019 class skewed your average class size.

upload_2020-2-16_7-15-18.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So far this year:
  • Pitching - like where it is going. Wish we had pitched more than 2 yesterday for experience, but can't argue with the result. Hope for a power explosion today and seeing 4 pitchers like we did on Friday.
  • Hitting - worried about the lack of hitting and runs. Seems to be that way early every season for us, then we get hot in April. We have only scored 6 runs per 8 innings so far. Yesterday's big 5th inning 4 runs were largely from a misplayed deep outfield fly (ruled a hit not an error but was very catchable). Our power is a concern; The Baron has much better plate discipline and when he did strike out went to 9 pitches in the count. Just not the results; batting .143. But we did coax 6 walks and 1 HBP to complement our 9 hits.
  • Defense - really nice plays being made that were the difference. The in-field seems very tight and Holland had a beautiful throw out of a steal attempt. Highlights in the outfield too even though I miss Nick. We did have two errors yesterday - one on The Baron not fielding cleanly and another on Webb I didn't see.
  • Baserunning - very aggressive and effective so far. Stole 2 of 3 yesterday. We have speed.