Opening Weekend: Minnesota / Bradley / UConn

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
20180217_142601.jpg
best venue in baseball!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hughes with 4th walk, walks the bases loaded. Two wild pitches and Bradley up 1-0.

I'd have replaced Hughes after the second wild pitch. Too damn slow with the hook. Not his day, that's why we have a bunch of pitchers who should be given a chance.

Got out of the inning with a in-field to 1st.

Time to put Tristin in!!!!!!

I'm going out and doing some grass. (Grass plugs in the yard.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ugly game. Ugly pitching, memories of last year. Down 7-5. 7th .......

I think Shirah is going to be good. Had problems with control but 6 SOs shows he can do it. Slow hook on him.

Glad to see Hall is quicker with the hook, just pulled Ben S. If they can't throw well, pull them FAST.

English just put in, want to see this!

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Hughes with 4th walk, walks the bases loaded. Two wild pitches and Bradley up 1-0.

I'd have replaced Hughes after the second wild pitch. Too damn slow with the hook. Not his day, that's why we have a bunch of pitchers who should be given a chance.

Got out of the inning with a in-field to 1st.

Time to put Tristin in!!!!!!

I'm going out and doing some grass. (Grass plugs in the yard.)
This was a good idea Nuke

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
The walks were ridiculous and I am in no way making any excuses, but the strike zone was so inconsistent for both sides.
We were not getting any close low and in calls like Bradley was getting.
It definitely attributed to some frustrating times.

Nonetheless we should have never been in that position.
This Bradley team was in no way dominant.

They just made the best out of our mistakes.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I liked what I saw from the freshmen Hurter and Shirah even though they struggled. Shirah was kind of jumpy when he got in, then settled down and pitched well until he got tired. Hurter didn't record an out, but he should of had a double play turned behind him to help with that jam.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can't see any of these games...but from looking at the box scores, seems like "Same Stuff, Different Year".

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Can't see any of these games...but from looking at the box scores, seems like "Same Stuff, Different Year".
If it matters or makes you feel better, 2 of the errors were throwing errors on difficult plays:

1) 3rd inning. McCann trying to make the throw moving to his right back to pitcher (Shirah, I think) who's on move to cover first. This could've/would've been a great defensive play by both McCann & Shirah for a 3rd out after Shirah had loaded bases on "freebies"
2) Rookie mistake by Waddell in 9th. Bases loaded again on freebies... 1 out. Bad decision by Waddell to try inning ending DP by stepping in 3rd & firing to 1st. Gets out at 3rd... but throws it away to 1st. Ball wasn't hit hard enough to make that play. The (better) play was there to throw home for the force.. & live to hopefully get next guy out. Kid played SS in HS. Yesterday, he made 2 stellar plays on pop flys behind him... maybe the difference in getting W v Minn. This will likely be the roller coaster with Freshman at the hot corner. Get accustomed to it, I reckon.

Not throwing strikes results in too many walks... that's bad & obvious. It also gets your defense flat footed & likely less than focused. Just throw strikes. Please!

It's way too early to say this is a "repeat" of 2017. Today's game looked like a carbon copy of much of last season. Friday (v Minnesota) looked much more promising. We have 53 more games to see what we're made of.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Very disappointed for Hughes, he looked as bad as last year. Thomas looked great, hope he can get righties out too.
Overall, do we look at our pitchers in live hitting sessions before the start of the season? Can't we tell then who can throw strikes and who can't? If they can't in practice, don't pitch them in games. If they can in practice,but not in games,how do you fix that?

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Very disappointed for Hughes, he looked as bad as last year. Thomas looked great, hope he can get righties out too.
Overall, do we look at our pitchers in live hitting sessions before the start of the season? Can't we tell then who can throw strikes and who can't? If they can't in practice, don't pitch them in games. If they can in practice,but not in games,how do you fix that?
Once full team practices are allowed, I am pretty sure they do a lot of scrimmaging. So that must mean that either 1) our hitters are not very selective and swing at bad pitches during scrimmages 2) our pitchers throw strikes in bullpen sessions and in scrimmages, but just can’t perform in a game or 3) our pitchers struggle with control all the time even in scrimmages, but we really don’t have anyone who can throw strikes consistently so CDH has to put them out there anyways.

Of those, I’d guess it’s 75% #2 and 25% #1.

As to how to fix that...if I knew, I wouldn’t be typing on a message board, haha.