Opening Weekend: Minnesota / Bradley / UConn

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
DWLqljqXUAA4z3y.jpg

Deleted member 2897

Well the good news is Minnesota only has 1 hit so far. The bad news is that it was the 2nd batter, and it was a home run.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
If you guys are watching on the stream... Radcliffe is HUGE. When he helped Wilhite up in right center after that good running catch by Wilhite... reminded me of Big Ennis & Little Ennis. ... Smokey & the Bandit reference... sorry.

Was saying the same thing with my brother (NC State grad) as he was watching both games.

Agree with @FredJacket on that error.

All in all, it was our opening day game win without being too ticky tack.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Georgia Tech baseball got eight strikeouts and 124 pitches from the sophomore tandem of Xzavion Curry and Connor Thomas to defeat the Minnesota Gophers 3-2 in the two teams' 2018 season opener on Friday evening at Russ Chandler Stadium.

Tech starts off the season at 1-0 for the sixth-straight year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, I was thinking about flights to Omaha after yesterday (tic)

Here's what I really liked:
1) We played good defensive baseball. The one error on Wade really wasn't an error IMHO. And there were multiple tremendously good defensive plays ... 3rd base Luke Waddell had two, Nick Wilhite had one and English had one. Two DPs. I only watched about 5 innings of the game ....
2) We won the game from another team that played well. They didn't give it to us.
3) Connor looked really sharp especially in comparison to Curry. 34 of his 42 pitches (81%!!!) were strikes. 5 SOs and no walks against a good hitting team.
4) English at first base just feels right and he is very smooth there. The best play was on a bad throw to him where he was pulled off the base and tagged out the runner.

In the don't know category:
1) Curry wasn't sharp. Only 44 strikes in 82 pitches (54%). The 2 DPs in his 5 innings saved us. Can't give up walks - 4 walks and 3 SOs. But I think Curry will get in a groove as time goes on. His ball had ridiculous movement.
2) Kel had no hits and one SO in 4 at bats. His RBI was on an 8 pitch at plate so he may have more discipline this year.