Opening Weekend: Minnesota / Bradley / UConn

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here we go. Opening weekend. My quite limited research leads me to believe we’re playing 2 average to above average opponents (Minnesota and UConn) and a weaker team in Bradley. Until proven otherwise, I’ll put Ga Tech in the average to above average category too.

With home field… I think sweeping the weekend is certainly a reasonable expectation. But even typing that, my confidence is pretty tenuous. Our offense should score runs all weekend. The winning will come when/if we limit the opponents scoring.

Defense: Will be interesting to see how CDH approaches 3rd base. Likely to be a freshman. I’m really reading between the lines; but it seems he has a decision to make between the better fielder (Waddell) and the better bat (Serratos). Both played shortstop in HS.

Pitching: The dead horse here is just throw strikes. Those “freebies”...a term I've seen the pitchers using (BBs and HBP)...have HAVE HAVE to be limited.

GO YELLOW JACKETS!!

Minnesota
Massey model prediction*:
Most Likely Score: GT 6 – Minn 5
Win Prob: GT 60%

Minnesota’s preseason rankings are similar to Ga Tech’s. They have a veteran lineup returning that is lefty heavy. Their pitching staff is very young (in general)… but I do not know about who they’ll start on Friday. I assume it will be an experienced guy (their #1). They are playing 4 games in 3 days in Atlanta. Sat DH v Kennesaw St and Sun v Ga State

Bradley
Most Likely Score: GT 7 – Bradley 4
Win Prob: GT 78%

Cannot get any substantive info on Bradley baseball on the interwebs. Bradley’s weekend: Fri v Ga State; Sat v Ga Tech; Sun v Kennesaw St

Connecticut
Most Likely Score: GT 5 – UConn 4
Win Prob: GT 59%

UConn’s weekend: Fri v Kennesaw St; Sat v Ga State; Sun v Ga Tech. UConn has a stud starter (Cate). CDH (in the Around the Diamond video) seemed to believe Cate might start against us on Sunday.

So… assuming Minnesota starts its #1 on Friday, we may be facing 2 x #1’s this weekend.

*Don’t ask me how Massey's algorithm works. I suspect for opening weekend it is essentially a continuation of 2017.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
As much as I would like to see us sweep the opening weekend, I'll be happy with 2 out of 3. Just do that all year and win the vast majority of week day games and we'll be hosting a regional.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We win 3, I'll think we are back to 2016 where we won our first 12.

We win 2, I'll think we are ok but in for a fight this year to make the NCAAs.

We win 1, I'll think the malaise of our football and basketball programs has metastasized.

We win 0, I think I'll move to Peru after selling the house. (tic)

Well, only Carpenter is listed as hurt and he's close to coming back. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021418aaa.html

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do have to say that one good thing about the GT Swarm baseball forum is that we don't have a lot of uniform discussions..........

after looking at Norway's curling team, we have little to talk about ....... http://time.com/5158522/norway-curling-pants-valentines/

Anyway as @awbuzz noted, less than 24 hours to go. Every time I start getting optimistic, I just remember past results ..... but please let this year be different!!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s my guess at our starting lineup tonight:
2B Bailey
SS A Wilhite
C Bart
1B English
DH Johnson
LF Murray
RF Colin Hall
3B Waddell
CF N Wilhite (have heard Carter Hall hasn’t practiced much due to injury)
P Curry

Obviously the batting order won’t be right, I’m not that good. Other positions that could have someone else starting—RF Radcliff CF Carter Hall (if not injured) 3B Serratos or Guldberg DH McCann (maybe he will hit when P is RH and Kel when P is LH)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my guess at our starting lineup tonight:
2B Bailey
SS A Wilhite
C Bart
1B English
DH Johnson
LF Murray
RF Colin Hall
3B Waddell
CF N Wilhite (have heard Carter Hall hasn’t practiced much due to injury)
P Curry

Obviously the batting order won’t be right, I’m not that good. Other positions that could have someone else starting—RF Radcliff CF Carter Hall (if not injured) 3B Serratos or Guldberg DH McCann (maybe he will hit when P is RH and Kel when P is LH)
Carter Hall hurt (perhaps)? That sucks. That kid can't get to 100%. Speed in baseball is too underrated... and he's got it when healthy. I hope this is minor.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Carter Hall hurt (perhaps)? That sucks. That kid can't get to 100%. Speed in baseball is too underrated... and he's got it when healthy. I hope this is minor.
I don’t have any details other than hearing from a few people who have been at some of the practices—-apparently he has not been playing in the scrimmages the last couple of weeks. Would love to have him out there and see what he could do, we’ve only gotten to see glimpses so far.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I'm just glad to come here and read the forum and not have to read someone pissing and moaning about why someone should/shouldn't be at that position,
Or they are not big enough
Blah blah blah.

Play ball! !