OldJacketFan has passed away

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hi there,

This is OldJacketFan's daughter. I wanted to leave a message letting everyone on this board know about my father's passing. He seemed to be an active member of this message board and I think it has meant a lot to him over the last few years. He passed away last week, 1/2, from a heart attack. His memorial service will be in Georgia tomorrow. Here is the information for the service, if you'd like to come. Feel free to wear your best Georgia Tech gear.

Thank you for being friends to my dad! He loved Georgia Tech football more than anything else in this world.

This news ruined my day. I’m very sorry for your loss and you and your family have my sincere condolences.

Your dad was a great member here and I loved his presence and contributions. We had some philosophical battles over politics but I enjoyed our exchanges. Regarding football and Tech we were of one mind.

He was obviously a great man and great Jacket. May he rest in peace.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Terrible news. My thoughts are with the family.

At least he can go to the grave knowing Tech has won a title more recently than UGA, and Bevo > Uga

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to hear about his passing. As many have already said, we are all united by our love of the Yellow Jackets. He was a member of our family and will be greatly missed. My condolences to you and to his extended family.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry to hear that and our prayers go out to you and the family. I am at OJF for the first time this year and really enjoyed meeting him. He “liked” my posts as much as anyone on here but also disagreed with some in a civil and gentle way, so I appreciated him all the more.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My condolences and prayers to the family. I first "met" @OldJacketFan through the AJC and Swarm message boards. In 2012 I met him at a tailgate and inadvertently at half-time also. As I wandered under the North stands to escape the sun, I ran into him and we broke the first half down together. So began a gameday tradition that I relished. Every half time I would seek him out and rehash the game so far. How I missed him when he was recovering from surgery and how awesome it was to see him back last year. At the UVA game @awbuzz @Boomergump and I all spoke to him, and he assured us he was on the mend and planned to be at every game next year.

He was a friendly presence on this board unless you were a troll. He had no patience for them, as several here have noted, but I'd rather he be remembered for this post:
GTAA has sent out ticket info for the bowl game.

I will purchase and donate 4 tickets since I cannot be there.

THIS is who he was. I will forever miss my friend.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. -Psalm 73:26

My condolences and prayers to the family. I first "met" @OldJacketFan through the AJC and Swarm message boards. In 2012 I met him at a tailgate and inadvertently at half-time also. As I wandered under the North stands to escape the sun, I ran into him and we broke the first half down together. So began a gameday tradition that I relished. Every half time I would seek him out and rehash the game so far. How I missed him when he was recovering from surgery and how awesome it was to see him back last year. At the UVA game @awbuzz @Boomergump and I all spoke to him, and he assured us he was on the mend and planned to be at every game next year.

He was a friendly presence on this board unless you were a troll. He had no patience for them, as several here have noted, but I'd rather he be remembered for this post:

THIS is who he was. I will forever miss my friend.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. -Psalm 73:26
He was able to keep one of those four or buy another, because he DID make it to Detroit. Glad I had the chance to see and talk to him again for what unfortunately turned out to be the last time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hi there,

This is OldJacketFan's daughter. I wanted to leave a message letting everyone on this board know about my father's passing. He seemed to be an active member of this message board and I think it has meant a lot to him over the last few years. He passed away last week, 1/2, from a heart attack. His memorial service will be in Georgia tomorrow. Here is the information for the service, if you'd like to come. Feel free to wear your best Georgia Tech gear.

Thank you for being friends to my dad! He loved Georgia Tech football more than anything else in this world.

God bless you for taking the time to let us know.

I am truly heartbroken by the news. I would be there if I was in town, but am in flippin' Seattle this week.

I meet your dad at a local fast food restaurant a few years back and became friends after we discussed my GT gear that I was wearing and THIS web site!!!

Next season won't be the same at BDS when I look up at his seats knowing that he's not going to attend in person and going up to chat with him before the game. But I'm know he'll be there in Spirit.

Godspeed in the next life Phil.

My heartfelt condolences to you and the family. Thank you and God for letting us share some time with Phil in this life.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To OJF's daughter --- Do you have any kind of photo of your dad that you wouldn't mind sharing? I posted the notice of his passing on one of the Tech FB groups, and someone asked for a photo. There are probably plenty of Tech fans who would recognize him but never knew his name.

Some regular GT Swarm folks are in this picture including Phil (second row White hat, far right hand side). This was just before the 2017 Spring Game. AD TS also dropped by to chat. @GTpdm, @OldJacketFan, @Supersizethatorder-mutt, @Longestday, @buzz_wiser© (can't remember your son's handle), @YJAlleyCat, @GTMom,myself and some others are pictured here.

upload_2019-1-9_21-36-55.png

Last edited:

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Hi there,

I’m so sorry for your loss. God Bless you and your family.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Some regular GT Swarm folks are in this picture including Phil (second row White hat, far right hand side). This was just before the 2017 Spring Game. AD TS also dropped by to chat. @GTpdm, @OldJacketFan, @Supersizethatorder-mutt, @Longestday, @buzz_wiser© (can't remember your son's handle), @YJAlleyCat, @GTMom,myself and some others are pictured here.

View attachment 4969
Thankyou @awbuzz for posting this.
I had this picture somewhere, but had misplaced it.

What a great evening this was.
RIP @OldJacketFan your work on earth is done Brother.

View attachment 4969
Thank you so much for posting this pic. Several I passed the info on to have asked if there was a photo, because they remembered the name, but couldn't place it with a face. This will definitely help. THANKS !!!