Offseason Media 2024

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I never saw what you thought of the penn st guy who transferred here
He’ll be good for Tech. He got some good playing time at Penn St and our defensive line was stout. The Ole Miss game was a disaster but we had 9 players that had limited playing time or didn’t play at all. He’ll be an impact player like Haynes King. Can’t wait to see him play at Tech. Our DE’s and LB’s are so good and fast its hard sometimes to know how good some players are like this kid is because he was never double teamed but he had some very good games against some stiff competition.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Under Key we've seemed to beat the odds. I hope this year we hit above our win total. Would love to see at least two upsets. We're always due for one, but two would be nice. Or 3 or 4.
Agree… clean up the stinkers and pull an upset or two and all of a sudden…

Also, some of these are only looking like upsets because of who we think we are. At some point, we just become a better team and some of these “upsets” might just be solid wins.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Also, some of these are only looking like upsets because of who we think we are. At some point, we just become a better team and some of these “upsets” might just be solid wins.
I would say we pulled a couple of upsets each of the last two years already in 2022 - Pitt and UNC, and in 2023 - Miami and UNC. Who will it be this season? Of course, we also laid a couple of stinkers each season as well, in 2022 - Miami and UVA, and in 2023 - BG and BC.

Knock off the letdown games and pick up a couple of minor upsets and you have 8-9 wins. As it is, CBK is 11-10 over 1.5 seasons at the helm. Without the stinkers that moves to 15-6. This record, prorated to one season, yields the stretch goal of what this team can do: 8.5-9 wins.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I would say we pulled a couple of upsets each of the last two years already in 2022 - Pitt and UNC, and in 2023 - Miami and UNC. Who will it be this season? Of course, we also laid a couple of stinkers each season as well, in 2022 - Miami and UVA, and in 2023 - BG and BC.

Knock off the letdown games and pick up a couple of minor upsets and you have 8-9 wins. As it is, CBK is 11-10 over 1.5 seasons at the helm. Without the stinkers that moves to 15-6. This record, prorated to one season, yields the stretch goal of what this team can do: 8.5-9 wins.
Oh we definitely pulled some “upsets” the last couple years.
I’m hoping that we beat a couple of this year’s “projected losses” and we can all look back and realize they weren’t really upsets after the fact.
In other words, the more we improve, the fewer upset opportunities we will have!

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The general census of this year’s team is that we might be even better and dark horse ACC contender.

Which is what I already believed. But it’s nice to have the media take enough interest to actually read into us and see Tech for what we’re worth. Been awhile.
Exactly! I’m all smiles when the team hits the field just knowing we’ve got our HC and the results on the field are showing up…how sweet it is! 😁🇺🇸

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Oh we definitely pulled some “upsets” the last couple years.
I’m hoping that we beat a couple of this year’s “projected losses” and we can all look back and realize they weren’t really upsets after the fact.
In other words, the more we improve, the fewer upset opportunities we will have!
Yes, and a *huge* part of that is avoiding the stinkers, much (though not all) of that is the D. The O tended to cramp up last season when the D went to sleep, and the O had to bear an oversized burden. That's when King put too much on himself, forced passes, and piled up 3 and outs and INT's. A lot of that can resolve if the D steps up this fall. Also, another year learning and honing the O and that might not happen anyway.

FWIW, I consider this season's models to have a very wide dispersion. Could be 4/5 wins, 6/7 wins or 8+ wins depending on how the O advances beyond last season and how stout the D can become. Stay at last season levels, against this schedule, and we're struggling again for bowl eligibility. See the O advance and the D struggle and we're likely pointing to 6/7 wins again. See solid improvement with both and we just might see a real nice season unfold.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

Exactly. We love being the underdog but it would be amazing to not be the underdog in the near future

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We use to just walk right in through the North Endzone gates at night and play football (by the moonlight) on the field. Kind of a fun "illegal" tour...and he's very complimentary of GT, so that gets him points in my book.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Swarm members may like the attached article from SI (Jackson Caudell) which is based on Greg McElroy's comments on possible importance of GT vs. ND. Some discussion of GT vs. FSU also.

Attachments

• Greg McElroy Has Georgia Tech vs Notre Dame As An Under The Radar Game With Playoff Implications.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 84

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard a UNC Media Analyst speak on the latest podcast of the All ACC Weekly Discussion which I highly recommend to ACC Football and Basketball Junkies. The podcast currently features its annual tour of each ACC School's outlook for the 2024 football season with a local media analyst for each team Ken Sugiura has been Tech's analyst the last few years but the Jackets have not been featured so far this season. .. So UNC's analyst candidly admits he's not expecting much - maybe 7-5? This is pretty negative considering UNC's "killer" schedule which includes UVA, BC, Pitt, Wake and Duke. Then they have got us, NCST and FSU (who is very over rated in my opinion.) Their Non Conference is a real grinder which includes Minnesota (on the road), UNC Central, Charlotte and James Madison. Oh Brother. With this schedule you get 7-5 from a hometown analyst? Who wants to go to Chapel Hill on October 12?