Offseason Media 2024

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this has been posted yet. Stark difference from previous years.

Georgia Tech​

“Brent [Key] did one of the best jobs in the entire FBS last season; he doesn’t get enough credit for bringing back the program’s tough identity and fighting through without the resources you get at their competitors."

"They’ve figured out what works, who they are, and they embrace physical football like they did under [former head coach] Paul [Johnson]."

"Probably the best thing you can say about them is that a few guys other coaches in the league thought would jump in the portal didn’t. That’s how you really turn things around, if you can keep those breakout young guys and build off of them."

"They’re not an elite-ceiling program like FSU or Clemson, but they’re back on track to be competitive.”

Managed correctly, and given at least average resources compared to our peers, GT is a very good program. Always has been.

We're seeing now what GT is capable of when given the resources and we have alignment with our administration, athletic department, and coach. Much much higher ceiling now for us.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this has been posted yet. Stark difference from previous years.

Georgia Tech​

“Brent [Key] did one of the best jobs in the entire FBS last season; he doesn’t get enough credit for bringing back the program’s tough identity and fighting through without the resources you get at their competitors."

"They’ve figured out what works, who they are, and they embrace physical football like they did under [former head coach] Paul [Johnson]."

"Probably the best thing you can say about them is that a few guys other coaches in the league thought would jump in the portal didn’t. That’s how you really turn things around, if you can keep those breakout young guys and build off of them."

"They’re not an elite-ceiling program like FSU or Clemson, but they’re back on track to be competitive.”
bolded dabo

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I miss the old days where Athlon had a magazine dedicated exclusively to the ACC. I am looking forward to their conference rankings by position group. Offensively, we should be top six in every category. However, my guess is our OL and WRs will be middle of the pack. On the Defensive side, our DL will be 10-12 , although we have some salty interior guys. This is the best interior DL group we have had since Chan had that stellar group in 2005-2006.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I miss the old days where Athlon had a magazine dedicated exclusively to the ACC. I am looking forward to their conference rankings by position group. Offensively, we should be top six in every category. However, my guess is our OL and WRs will be middle of the pack. On the Defensive side, our DL will be 10-12 , although we have some salty interior guys. This is the best interior DL group we have had since Chan had that stellar group in 2005-2006.
I hope you are right about the best interior DL group in a while. Does that usually translate into better run stopping?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I would guess our DL to be last or close to it.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I would guess our DL to be last or close to it.
I respectfully disagree- but you are probably right about Athlon's rating. . With the addition of the Georgia State transfer Thomas Gore - we have got 4 big boys that can play in the middle. I read where Gore was a state champion wrestler in Tennessee (those former wrestlers are usually tough guys in the trenches.) With Sylvain, Kevin and USC transfer Romello Height- I am hoping that we might get 2 sacks a game from them plus whatever else we get from the tackles and LBs? But, I really see us improving in the run- game defense. All of our front seven rotation probably has an average age of 22-23 (save Horace Lockett ) . DJ will be looking at a lot of third and fives in Ireland. As Al Ciraldo would say, " GT has some big bubbas stacking it up."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
  • "Tech’s balanced budget for the fiscal year of 2025 will be $137.8 million, an increase of nearly $10 million from the fiscal year 2024, when the budget was $127.9 million." Up 7.8% vs. 2024.

• "a 45% increase in athletics budget for Tech from the 2022 fiscal year ($94.9 million)"

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
5 jackets named pre-season all ACC by Phil Steele.
Eric Singleton Jr. 2nd team
Haynes King 3rd team
Jamal Haynes 3rd team
Jordan Williams 4th team
Aiden Birr 4th team

Screenshot_20240612_152723_Georgia Tech.jpg

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I respectfully disagree- but you are probably right about Athlon's rating. . With the addition of the Georgia State transfer Thomas Gore - we have got 4 big boys that can play in the middle. I read where Gore was a state champion wrestler in Tennessee (those former wrestlers are usually tough guys in the trenches.) With Sylvain, Kevin and USC transfer Romello Height- I am hoping that we might get 2 sacks a game from them plus whatever else we get from the tackles and LBs? But, I really see us improving in the run- game defense. All of our front seven rotation probably has an average age of 22-23 (save Horace Lockett ) . DJ will be looking at a lot of third and fives in Ireland. As Al Ciraldo would say, " GT has some big bubbas stacking it up."
Did y’all hear about the wrestling dude from Minnesota a 3 time National Champion signed with the Bills? Dude never has played football if I heard correctly. Dude was a stud wrestler I watched him for 4 years at Minnesota in the NC’s. The Bills signed him to the DL I believe. His name is Gable Stevenson
Bills sign Olympic gold medalist wrestler Gable Steveson

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
For members who enjoy scouting the enemy, I recommend listening to the Wide Right ( June 11) podcast with Miami media analyst Manny Navarro. Navarro ranks the ACC teams in order with a deeper than normal look past your usual historical basis for ranking the teams. For instance UNC and Pitt are ranked far lower than in most power polls. GT is ranked 7th behind VT, NCST, Louisville, Clemson, Miami and FSU in that order. For me, I completely agree with his take on UNC. Like most, Navarro is high on Haynes King and our offense. But our run defense holds GT back in his opinion. That being said, Navarro predicts losses for the Canes at Louisville and at GT (he has them beating the Noles at Hard Rock.) For me - the ACC championship comes down to Miami v ? . FSU will look like Clemson's offense the last few years except worse. . We should absolutely start the season 1-0. We need to split the road games with Louisville and VT. Accomplish these two objectives and GT is right there.