Offseason Media 2024

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I’m thinking the hot-and-cold issue is going to be the main thing that changes about our offense with a second year in the system.
I hope so. I may be recalling this incorrectly but I seem to remember King mentioning "consistency" several times in the pressers. No doubt our coaches have made it a point of emphasis.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So I understand Key wants to run the ball and play bully/ tough football. Faulkner seems to accomplish this goal by spreading the defense out with WR screens and PA deep passes to keep Ds spread out to allow us to pound rock against a light box. The deep passes though are high risk and seems teams at times dared GT to beat them through the air and at times those risks payed off and probably a bit too much mid season when Key decided to start running King more to open up the run game. Key though prob has King on a hit count and has to manage that not only by game but for the season as well. All this to say we could be more consistent on O but at risk of our QB. Don’t want to wind up like FSU running our QB in games we should win straight up and lose him to a injury.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope so. I may be recalling this incorrectly but I seem to remember King mentioning "consistency" several times in the pressers. No doubt our coaches have made it a point of emphasis.
Several players and coaches have used the term consistency during these fall camp press conferences. Last year's theme was toughness, this year's theme seems to be consistency. Key has also said several times that the first goal was to learn how to win (last year) and then learn how to win consistently. It wouldn't surprise me to see one letdown game this year as it is hard to be "on" every week for 12-15 weeks, but I seriously don't think we are going to see the ups and downs of last year again under Key.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
So I understand Key wants to run the ball and play bully/ tough football. Faulkner seems to accomplish this goal by spreading the defense out with WR screens and PA deep passes to keep Ds spread out to allow us to pound rock against a light box. The deep passes though are high risk and seems teams at times dared GT to beat them through the air and at times those risks payed off and probably a bit too much mid season when Key decided to start running King more to open up the run game. Key though prob has King on a hit count and has to manage that not only by game but for the season as well. All this to say we could be more consistent on O but at risk of our QB. Don’t want to wind up like FSU running our QB in games we should win straight up and lose him to a injury.
It may be selective memory, but it seemed to me that towards the end of the season Faulkner had fewer running plays called for King in the first half of games, just enough to keep the defense honest and have to account for the possibility of King running with the ball. Then in the second half as the defense was getting worn down by our Offensive Line, Faulkner called King's number more often, particularly in critical down/distance situations, to great success. And don't nobody start bringing stats into this discussion to prove me wrong - my memory is my memory and I'm sticking with it. :rolleyes:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think the philosophy changed in the second half of the season to be much more run oriented. I think that changed our offense for the better and made King more of a threat. Be interesting to see which approach they take at the beginning of this year.

The running game sorta went crazy after the UNC game... which happened to be CPJ week. You gotta wonder how much brain picking they did. in that week. buster is an extremely intelligence OC. You'd have to be an idiot to not take advantage.