Official Ted Roof Discussion Thread

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo that 2004 DL was vastly superior to any DL during CPJ era. Not even close by my eyes.

Side note, Oliver > Cummings

I think oliver was better than cummings too but a that time oliver was embattled. Its a bit revisionist history too. When adam was a jr many wanted him on the bench for mj. Either way, the point stands. Some dl slightly better or worse than others. But its not like at tech we have had studs everyone is claiming we need now and we were still very successful.

Imo gamble and gotsis were as good a dt combo we have had since 2008. And gamble may make a squad....injuries hurt hi

Look roof is getting an easy talent is needed on the dl pass. No duh. What team couldnt use talented dl. We simply arent as bad imo as we show.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What year did we lose practically all of our DT's over the offseason? Roof's first or second season? That hurt and has taken a long time to recover from depth-wise
Roof was here from psu at spring game 13. Look at his pic. -- he has aged a ton.

Coach hurt came in early spring 14
He hosted my tour before the 14 clemson game. Fine fellow.

He came to try to stabilize the player development effort. The lineman guys quit iirc after 13 season. Must have been good recruits we all liked that groh brought in. But when pelton arrived they became bad and hit the door

We also found out that a bb recruit couldn't come to tech because of transcript issue at his hs. Plus a lb who was to move to dt was academic issue and left team.
Coach Johnson got admin straight and offense clicked in 14.

As in life "we missed them more than we thought we would. BUT a helluva lot less than they thought we would!!"

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah let's get rid of Tech's best recruiter (CAM) for a culture change SMH

It would be worth it if we can get someone equally or better at recruiting on that side of the ball. CAM isn't the end all be all of recruiting by a LONG shot. There's a great recruiter/dline coach just fired from UGA that we could reach out to...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It would be worth it if we can get someone equally or better at recruiting on that side of the ball. CAM isn't the end all be all of recruiting by a LONG shot. There's a great recruiter/dline coach just fired from UGA that we could reach out to...

We'll agree to disagree. CAM is so wired into TN and he is the one snagging all the talent Tech's been getting out of there for the last couple of years. He'd be better suited working with LBs but I want him on staff!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We should keep CAM and add the other guy that was fired from UGA, it can't hurt and it will bring in more help on the D line. Kinda like we have two OL coaches, let's do the same on the DL.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't everyone get an additional coach next year or was that rule not passed? We should have some cash coming in from the new apparel deal...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Player names changed but the issues were largely the same personnel wise.
-2009 starting front 4
Egbuniwe, Logan Walls, Ben Anderson, D Morgan (only one guy playing at elite level)
Cross, Walls, Jason Peters 3/4 scheme none playing at elite level (sneezy a true frosh)
-2011 ditto
(Sneezy at OLB getting there but not elite as a sophomore imo.
-Dieke, TJ Barnes, Cross, (OLBs sneezy playing elite, Brandon Watts undervalued asset)
Sneezy at DE now playing elite, Cummings, Gotsis a sophomore, Dieke
Rod Rook, Green, Gotsis (junior starting to play at high level), Stargel
Rod Rook/keshun frosh year, Green, Gotsis, Stargel
Gotsis playing at elite level injured and out midway through season.
Freeman, Kallon/Cerge, Gamble, Rook/Simmons

Never more than one guy per season playing at a high level. So how do y'all rank this position group through the years? Any top 40s? 50s? 60s?

The battle is won in the trenches and we haven't had a line capable of winning the majority of matchups.

Freeman, Branch, Cerge/Adams, Simmons
We need more than one of these guys playing at a high level to get the kind of D this board expects / desires. How many can or will? This question will determine whether we have a special season or not. This year is our best chance in a very long time imo.

good analysis
Simmons has got to be the guy on pass rush this yr--UNLESS other teams recognize his threat and double him
hate to harp on it, but w/o adams we have one of the lightest DLs in P5--should help in pass rush even if it hurts in run game

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't have anything to add because I don't know things about defense. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion! Very informative. I've learned quite a bit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
good analysis
Simmons has got to be the guy on pass rush this yr--UNLESS other teams recognize his threat and double him
hate to harp on it, but w/o adams we have one of the lightest DLs in P5--should help in pass rush even if it hurts in run game

Anree is going to be a beast for us this year. Mark my words. Wish we would have redshirted him last season, but he did play real minutes. I saw him play against one of the top 5 tackles in the country who's now at USCw, and Anree destroyed that poor kid all game. He showed flashes last year...he's going to be one of the best DEs CPJ has signed.

Looking forward to Simmons/Freeman/and Anree bring havoc.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think oliver was better than cummings too but a that time oliver was embattled. Its a bit revisionist history too. When adam was a jr many wanted him on the bench for mj. Either way, the point stands. Some dl slightly better or worse than others. But its not like at tech we have had studs everyone is claiming we need now and we were still very successful.

Imo gamble and gotsis were as good a dt combo we have had since 2008. And gamble may make a squad....injuries hurt hi

Look roof is getting an easy talent is needed on the dl pass. No duh. What team couldnt use talented dl. We simply arent as bad imo as we show.

Fair enough. We have a slight difference of opinion on how lacking or not our overall DL has been since 2009. 08 was our best during CPJ but I failed to include them in my earlier post.

As for Gamble, I love the guy. He was the heart and soul of our DL last year and I think he does have an outside shot at making a team I think. Praying for it to happen. But I really don't think he came into his own till his senior year last year. Next best last year was Freeman then probably Simmons and Branch as reserves who came on as the season progressed.

They gave their all and I appreciate the hell out of that. But we didn't dominate much and struggled in several games.

If we don't improve depth more than having one guy at a time play at a peak level, bellichick himself won't do much better. Good news is I think we are getting there. I do expect improved play this year barring major injuries. If that doesn't happen my opinion is subject to change.

Honestly though, I really think next year is the year we see our payoff on Dline.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Anree is going to be a beast for us this year. Mark my words. Wish we would have redshirted him last season, but he did play real minutes. I saw him play against one of the top 5 tackles in the country who's now at USCw, and Anree destroyed that poor kid all game. He showed flashes last year...he's going to be one of the best DEs CPJ has signed.

Looking forward to Simmons/Freeman/and Anree bring havoc.

I think Merriweather has a chance to contribute some also actually.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not just on Roof, but every starting DL in 2012 and 2013 got NFL money, and the only one never on a 53 man roster is still getting CFL money iirc.

Yet, we heard the same complaints about our DL then.