Official Ted Roof Discussion Thread

What i do like about ted:

1 - i do agree and it does seem d recruiting has ticked up in the last 2-3 years. Is that ted or not who really knows. But i will agree at least partly for sure.

2 - he has shown a solid ability to adjust his calls many times after halftime to help. I think he needs to try to expedite that adjustment in between quarters but, his adjustments seem to most times be good.

3 - i have not seen a d that quit. Maybe unc once and clemson once. But that can happen.

4 - he is a good person. Good representative for gt.

5 - not sure anyone has noticed this. I have been tracking it for 3 years now. Late in games if we are behind and NEED stops to catch up he calls a totally different game. He gets way more aggressive. And it has worked a ton. I dont have the statistics a hand it would be a huge effort to do this. But if we are down a score or even two but in striking distance in the 4th his calls are way different and I believe 3rd down rate improves. I wish he called a whole game this way. I have observed this many times and far appreciate this than what he rolls out there earlier. Btw. His aggressive version is not crazy. But its just better imo

6 - dude does work his arse off
Late in games if we are behind and NEED stops to catch up he calls a totally different game. He gets way more aggressive. And it has worked a ton.
Then how do you explain the total defensive breakdown late in the 4th quarter of the 2015 Georgia game? We had them backed up inside the 15, and we let them out on 2 plays, thus sealing the game. Get a stop and, even with our mostly inefficient offense that year, we could have easily scored (JT would have willed it), and won the game. But NOOOOO, he goes into a prevent defense, thus preventing us having a chance to win the game.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who don't say its scheme/coaching do you honestly think our talent level on D is in the bottom of the country? 94th in D efficiency.
If so then I have no argument, but if you don't believe our D talent is that bad, what in your opinion is the issue?

We also couldn't get any sacks (bottom 20 if I recall) and we gave up points on over 80% of RedZone trips, which was down from over 87% the year before. We ranked 84 overall in the stat with recruiting doormat Vanderbilt leading the nation at 64%. We weren't just below average with below average players, we were downright terrible with below average players. I don't know how anyone can look at the stats and not conclude we have been playing below our talent level.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Then how do you explain the total defensive breakdown late in the 4th quarter of the 2015 Georgia game? We had them backed up inside the 15, and we let them out on 2 plays, thus sealing the game. Get a stop and, even with our mostly inefficient offense that year, we could have easily scored (JT would have willed it), and won the game. But NOOOOO, he goes into a prevent defense, thus preventing us having a chance to win the game.

Actually, the explanation given explains that game as well. Roof got ultra aggressive and brought the safety into the box and got burned by a great play call on ugas part. IIRC, it was the TE Blazevich that caught that pass up the middle because we sold out to the blitz.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We ALWAYS give up the TE plays.

Not true. That's been a relatively newer development. We have been pretty good at shutting down the TE until the last couple of years. I did a numbers crunch on it a while back and showed we were far better at limiting TE yardage than people would believe. That changed drastically in 2015 and didn't get much better in 2016. As I said earlier, I am not a defensive guru, so I don't know why that got so much worse in 2015, but there is a definite line of demarcation between 2014-2015 in the stats. (Of course, that's true almost entirely across the board for those two years)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
To piggyback on 33s list, I don't wish him any I'll will or hope he gets fired. I just know his contract is up after 5 years and I don't think he's shown me enough to extend him and definitely not enough to warrant the raise that usually goes along with it. He did the best he could but we should part ways now that it's come to an end. It isn't working and nothing shows me it is going to work in the next 3-5 years or however long he hypothetically signs for. Good guy and good representative of the Institute, but both parties might be better off with new opportunities.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
P

Dude listen. Serious. Are expecting my point to apply perfectly to every game we are behind? When we are alot of his calls i like. Its won a few games too.

Also. I agree. When he goes to prevent or back to prevent i cringe. But i was trying to find (the few) things i do like about him

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are always simplifying our d. We said that in 2014. Last year. This year. Its getting old. at some point we need to produce.

Our issues are more than players. Players changed at ton from 2014 to 2016 and 17.

Coaching needs to help. Players need to help. We all want the same thing. A better d. I am convinced we can be better with the same personnel. I just think we are stuck in mud.

Player names changed but the issues were largely the same personnel wise.
-2009 starting front 4
Egbuniwe, Logan Walls, Ben Anderson, D Morgan (only one guy playing at elite level)
Cross, Walls, Jason Peters 3/4 scheme none playing at elite level (sneezy a true frosh)
-2011 ditto
(Sneezy at OLB getting there but not elite as a sophomore imo.
-Dieke, TJ Barnes, Cross, (OLBs sneezy playing elite, Brandon Watts undervalued asset)
Sneezy at DE now playing elite, Cummings, Gotsis a sophomore, Dieke
Rod Rook, Green, Gotsis (junior starting to play at high level), Stargel
Rod Rook/keshun frosh year, Green, Gotsis, Stargel
Gotsis playing at elite level injured and out midway through season.
Freeman, Kallon/Cerge, Gamble, Rook/Simmons

Never more than one guy per season playing at a high level. So how do y'all rank this position group through the years? Any top 40s? 50s? 60s?

The battle is won in the trenches and we haven't had a line capable of winning the majority of matchups.

Freeman, Branch, Cerge/Adams, Simmons
We need more than one of these guys playing at a high level to get the kind of D this board expects / desires. How many can or will? This question will determine whether we have a special season or not. This year is our best chance in a very long time imo.

P

Dude listen. Serious. Are expecting my point to apply perfectly to every game we are behind? When we are alot of his calls i like. Its won a few games too.

Also. I agree. When he goes to prevent or back to prevent i cringe. But i was trying to find (the few) things i do like about him
"But i was trying to find (the few) things i do like about him" OK, I will give you that

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The last DE we've had that could get to the qb was Sneezy. Pressures and sacks w/o blitzing is all Jimmies and Joes not schemes. We haven't had that kind of player in a while.

It involves coaching technique, too, but I put that on Pelton more than Roof.

Pelton is Roof's guy. If deficient it's Roof's and CPJs fault. The guy was a pretty darn good DT himself. I know not all good players can coach well but I find it hard to believe he isn't a good position coach. Give him Clem or Bama Dline and I bet he looks like the next Saban heir apparent.

Pelton is Roof's guy. If deficient it's Roof's and CPJs fault. The guy was a pretty darn good DT himself. I know not all good players can coach well but I find it hard to believe he isn't a good position coach. Give him Clem or Bama Dline and I bet he looks like the next Saban heir apparent.
And that's why Kirby (not-so-)Smart got hired at the cesspool.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Give me Clemson's or Bama's D line and I'll look like the next Saban :D.

northgajacket

Banned
Im still reserving judgment. We've brought in some solid defensive players of late, let's see what he does with them. Besides, it's not like his predecessors were any more successful. We've had a top 30 defense twice in the CPJ era. I believe it's a personnel issue and I don't see hiring a 4th DC changing that.

Exactly right.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think KeShun started almost every game in 2014 and was playing at a very high level for a true freshman but then fell off. That list has a lot of other talented players who just seem to have been wasted. Kallon and Barnes were 4 stars, KeShun never got back to where he was as a freshman. JHD started a number of games before leaving the team. He was a 4 star LB who grew into a DT and was scout team player of the year. I think I remember Shaq saying how unlockable he was. Get him under Roof and Pelton and he never lived up to the hype. Gamble was a top 30-35 DT in his class. Dieke was a top 20-25 WDE, got picked up by the CFL this year. I think just looking at DL, these guys plus the two high draft picks in Attouchu and Gotsis, averaging top a top 40-50 defense over the last 5 years shouldn't be too much to ask with at least one year of being elite (top 25ish). But there is much more to a good D than line play. This is also just talking Roofs years because a 3 man two-gap system is completely different than a 4-3 over that Roof runs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the explanation given explains that game as well. Roof got ultra aggressive and brought the safety into the box and got burned by a great play call on ugas part. IIRC, it was the TE Blazevich that caught that pass up the middle because we sold out to the blitz.
Suggest we rewatch. I have a picture of the play. In my file.
Mlb and right lb standing in space watching for the unathlstic qb in case he runs and then the te releases past them. The cb( iirc ) and safety tackle the great uga rb but he did not have ball. Dl got totally manhandled but no one got through thier run gap as an slid to his right. . Other db and safeties down field w Wr. That leaves the other lb - 48 who ran up to line but hesitated (being sure to contain the qb). Once he realized the qb was going to pass he rushed - but too late. Ball dropped in w no one near te.
Fact
We had the uga qb in the end zone and played conservative. We let 4th.

Thats pretty bad on field assignment recognition for the end of year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, so I not posting this to spread a rumor since it's been posted in this forum previously. I find it hard to believe, but I thought it worth asking if anyone knows if it's legitimate.

It's been said that Roof plays favorites which sometimes is not the same as playing the best. After we seemed to have a decent game against Vanderbilt, we didn't see Kallon, Lewis, or Curry as much.