Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The play clock starts at 40 seconds commencing at the end of the previous play. If a player runs out of bounds the play clock starts at 40 seconds, but the game clock stops until the ball is set. If it takes 10 seconds to spot the ball and restart the game clock, then 10 fewer seconds can run off of the game clock than if the player didn't run out of bounds.
In the Alabama Texas AM game Jimbo did this to Sabin and forced sabin to call timeout. Later iirc Sabin got him back.

6 had to sprint the lastc20 yds to avoid penalty.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks for the articles.

Like you said, the formations and the routes are still very much like all the other schools that use the RPO. The only difference is a variation in the mesh. Its more akin to wider splits for offensive lineman. It more of a wrinkle than a full blown scheme.

As for Oklahoma State, they still have less talent than the Oklahoma and Texas and have played them well and beat them over the last few years. Hell, 247 places Tech above Oklahoma State in its talent rankings.
That video is worth watching, especially for the people who come here for “film school”. As porous as Ruggerio said his line was, I don’t think we could run what they run—we haven’t been able to hold blocks long enough. Also, that’s a lot more reads than Sims is used to making.

Then again, Ruggerio is a smart OC and I think he'd figure out something to do with our players.

Here are some other videos

Oklahoma State isn't trying to do "more with less". Wake's own coaches say that's exactly what they're trying to do.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I find it funny that people think scheme advantage is something we have to strive for and not try to somehow compete recruiting. Guess how you get a scheme advantage? Having great coaching talent. How do you get great coaching talent? Pay them. You know who pays their coaching staffs the most? The same teams we are pretending like we are trying to gain a scheme advantage against. Bama, UGA, Ohio State, etc aren't just where they are because of an on field talent advantage. They also have a coaching box talent advantage.

Going the scheme route is a viable plan. But it isn't about equalizing beating UGA or Clemson. It's about beating Virginia Tech and Syracuse.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
That video is worth watching, especially for the people who come here for “film school”. As porous as Ruggerio said his line was, I don’t think we could run what they run—we haven’t been able to hold blocks long enough. Also, that’s a lot more reads than Sims is used to making.

Then again, Ruggerio is a smart OC and I think he'd figure out something to do with our players.

Here are some other videos

Oklahoma State isn't trying to do "more with less". Wake's own coaches say that's exactly what they're trying to do.

I watched the first video and found it very interesting. I'll have to watch the others that you have provided later. As for Tech using this scheme, we saw many times under Patenaude how this current team isn't equipped to run the RPO.

I dont understand what you mean they aren't trying to do more with less. It may not be on the level of Wake (there aren't many P5 schools that have less than Wake), but they have lesser talent year in and year out and are still consistently competing with the bigger and more talented schools in their conference.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I watched the first video and found it very interesting. I'll have to watch the others that you have provided later. As for Tech using this scheme, we saw many times under Patenaude how this current team isn't equipped to run the RPO.
Given recent events, I would question the beliefs about what the current offensive personnel can and can't do. Nobody's offense isn't going to look good if they don't practice well enough to play in games.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

I dont understand what you mean they aren't trying to do more with less. It may not be on the level of Wake (there aren't many P5 schools that have less than Wake), but they have lesser talent year in and year out and are still consistently competing with the bigger and more talented schools in their conference.
Some teams recruit "talent" very well. For many reasons stated before, that cannot be our primary strength, IMO. Some teams, like Wake, teach talent. Is that more difficult ? You bet ! You must have coaches who can evaluate and recruit teachable players, then make the players responsible for sharpening their skills.
The head coach, if he has hired coaches capable of doing this, needs to let them do it, and not micromanage them. Over time , like Wake, they will build a program and culture with players that understand what is expected of them , and that doing that results in being successful on the field.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Every Tech fan needs to watch that YouTube documentary on Dave Clawson, Warren Ruggiero and Wake Forest.

Here's the moneyquote:

"You can't look at the competition and say you're going to do it better. You have to look at the competition and say that you're going to do it differently."

Warren Ruggiero
Offensive Coordinator, Wake Forest
ESPN Interview​

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Lets be honest, we lost a lot of fans for good. They complained for awhile and then stopped and left. Its the ones who are still complaining who we have a shot at bringing back CGC did so much damage to this program. It will not be an overnight recovery. So for me as long as there are a lot of fans complaining then that is better than silence
Great post. Despite this we still have people trying to rationalize how he was “not that bad”. They don’t come right out and say it but damn near everybody know what they really mean.

The recovery of the 30-35% of the in game attendance we lost (approx $5-6M annually in revenue) is recoverable over about a 4-5 yr period. It’s going to take a long time to undo what he did, but thankfully the ridicule, feigned pity aspect of it seems like it died a rapid death already.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Every Tech fan needs to watch that YouTube documentary on Dave Clawson, Warren Ruggiero and Wake Forest.

Here's the moneyquote:

"You can't look at the competition and say you're going to do it better. You have to look at the competition and say that you're going to do it differently."

Warren Ruggiero
Offensive Coordinator, Wake Forest
ESPN Interview​
If you've been slamming the koolaid for 3+ years, this is a good video to watch.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The play clock starts at 40 seconds commencing at the end of the previous play. If a player runs out of bounds the play clock starts at 40 seconds, but the game clock stops until the ball is set. If it takes 10 seconds to spot the ball and restart the game clock, then 10 fewer seconds can run off of the game clock than if the player didn't run out of bounds.
Thanks. I didn’t know if it also got the shortened play clock like a time out stoppage... I can’t believe I haven’t paid better attention.
:eek:
I actually remember the play where Sims ran OOB in the 4th and I don’t think I saw either clock stop... I’d like to blame the broadcast but that could’ve been my state of mind

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I find it funny that people think scheme advantage is something we have to strive for and not try to somehow compete recruiting. Guess how you get a scheme advantage? Having great coaching talent. How do you get great coaching talent? Pay them. You know who pays their coaching staffs the most? The same teams we are pretending like we are trying to gain a scheme advantage against. Bama, UGA, Ohio State, etc aren't just where they are because of an on field talent advantage. They also have a coaching box talent advantage.

Going the scheme route is a viable plan. But it isn't about equalizing beating UGA or Clemson. It's about beating Virginia Tech and Syracuse.
Clawson started as HC of Wake in 2014. In 2020, he was still only making $2.3M/yr. In 2021, he got a $1.3M raise to boost him to $3.6M and extend his contract out to 2026. His OC Ruggerio made about $550k back in 2018, but i'm guessing he got a pay raise same time as Clawson and is pulling in $750k.

We don't need an $8M Head Coach and a $1-1.5M Coordinators. We need a blue collar staff that works hard, can implment schemes around the guys they've got or are able to recruit whatever the level. You know, guys that know football not fashion design & coachspeak garbage. If we had unlimited money like Bama, Osu, etc we'd have 35 coaches on the payroll and an insane amount of game prep resources, but we don't and should leverage the advantages we have not the ones we wish we have.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for answering the question lol
Please stop being so obtuse! In the context of this conversation WF is definitely a 'scheme' offense. You can play semantics all you want, but with regards to what the actual conversation we are engaged in...related to some arguing that we need a scheme offense to be highly successful....WF definitely has a scheme. Slugboy has explained it well, but truthfully I think you knew that all along and were playing games with words.

The clear evidence that this is true lies in the fact that the people who argue that we need a 'scheme offense' are also almost universally in favor of Clawson coming to Tech to bring the WF offense. So, in the context of this conversation WF is 100% running a 'scheme' offense.

I guess I don't find a lot of debating what the meaning of 'is' is.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

I have not seen a single poster say this. Please show where you think this was said.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Please stop being so obtuse! In the context of this conversation WF is definitely a 'scheme' offense. You can play semantics all you want, but with regards to what the actual conversation we are engaged in...related to some arguing that we need a scheme offense to be highly successful....WF definitely has a scheme. Slugboy has explained it well, but truthfully I think you knew that all along and were playing games with words.

The clear evidence that this is true lies in the fact that the people who argue that we need a 'scheme offense' are also almost universally in favor of Clawson coming to Tech to bring the WF offense. So, in the context of this conversation WF is 100% running a 'scheme' offense.

I guess I don't find a lot of debating what the meaning of 'is' is.
It’s the typical tactic used these days. Just wear other people down with repetitive questions, demand more detail, etc.

The damn handwriting is not just on the wall, it’s carved into granite and will be around for over a thousand years from now.

We don’t need Clawson or Chadwell necessarily, but we need someone innovative like Fridge or Johnson. Guys that can take those “not quite elite talent” guys and put them into a system where they excel. Each one of those guys have their system and that’s what made them great at what they do and virtually irreplaceable.