Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

JacketFan137

Banned
$35 today. That’s the equivalent of $20 in 2000. That’s cheap.
i understand users like the guy i was replying to. i have had season tickets almost a decade and my friends that are bama fans and uga fans sometimes pay the same for an individual ticket. for a live sporting event we are a pretty cheap ticket

but like for me i’m also not bringing multiple family members, i still live in the metro atlanta area so it’s not like i’m paying some crazy amount for gas each game. i can understand how a day at tech can really start to run up on you in price if you aren’t in my situation

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
and from what I am hearing they are. I have heard of so many people that are planning to go back now that the worst coach of all time is gone. I will be there as well the rest of the season.
I hope so. Time for people to step up. Otherwise, stop complaining.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, I’m retired and on a fixed income. Football tickets are just too expensive for me now.

That’s why I’ve been attending GT baseball games. Prices for baseball tickets are much lower, plus lower prices for parking, too.

I guess my personal perspective is different.
I empathize with you.

There are tickets available right now for the Virginia game for $35. If you get to the stadium you can get pregame pricing for hot dogs, pretzels, nachos, and popcorn for $3 each and drinks for $4. That pricing is only good if you purchase the items 30 minutes or earlier before the game. I don't know where you live, but if you take MARTA to the game, you can get free parking and pay $5 for the roundtrip on the train. That would be less than $50 for a game ticket, food, and transportation. I am not trying to make light of your budget issues, but if you can't scrape together $50 for the overall trip to the game, I'm not sure that lowering the seat cost will help much.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our Offensive and Defensive Squads are improving each week.

I think we are a functioning punting team away from really improving the team overall. Beefing up one deficiency is creating another problem. We need more hang time on the punt so the coverage team can get to punt returner. The coverage team needs to have the discipline to stay in their lanes.

We need to get the punts off quicker. The punting team is loaded up with blockers to protect the punter. We need to add a couple of speedsters to get downfield faster. We may need to try out another punter who can get the ball in the air quicker or a long snapper with more zip on the ball.
I think just focusing on hang time is the way to go. I gladly sacrifice 10 yards of distance for two more seconds in the air.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
because it’s not true and comments like that are really disingenuous. scheme is not the silver bullet that people pretend it is. we lost plenty of games running the option and have lost plenty of games running modern offenses.

if scheme gave us such an advantage what do you have to say about us averaging 7 wins a season under paul and plenty of losses to inferior teams like duke who had our number bad at the end.

having a “scheme” aka running the option is nice but it’s not necessary to see success.
No?

Did teams spend extra time in spring practice preparing for the TO? Yes. Did teams with a bye before playing us have a bit of an advantage? Yes.

As the poster said, it's not so much a question of which unique scheme so much as the necessity of having something that the other side is not easily prepared for.

If anyone thinks we're going to go into Georgia's house and play their brand of football straight up with success, they've been drinking too much whisky clear.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Well, I’m retired and on a fixed income. Football tickets are just too expensive for me now.

That’s why I’ve been attending GT baseball games. Prices for baseball tickets are much lower, plus lower prices for parking, too.

I guess my personal perspective is different.
Upper north seats are as low as 35 bucks. Not too cheap but you can buy them and sit in some empty lower seats to get more than it’s worth.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah but we have work and Keys needs to figure out how to let time tick off the clock before the snap. Might be on Sims, though So IDK.
I agree about the clock management. We left close to one minute of time on the clock on that next to last possession with about 5:40 on the clock when we took possession because our up tempo offense was too eager to stay up tempo. I am baffled at that decision by the OC?? Learning opportunity let's hope. And, Duke scored with 8 seconds left to tie us (helped by some questionable penalty calls x3, particularly the PF for roughing the passer, yikes, clean hit).

Now, having gotten that off my chest, a win is a win. And it was so nice to be there when BDS erupted, a bit like the old days pre CGC. We saw positives and negatives.
  1. Duke came in averaging 34 points vs Temple, Virginia, Northwestern and Kansas and the D held them to 13 offensive points, and of course, our Achilles heel was exposed with that 81 yard punt coverage TD by Duke. Terrible coverage and I am sure that will be a focus this week and beyond.
  2. Other specialty team play was good, applause to Gavin Stewart again for clutch field goals and PAT/s and improved blocking.
  3. Nice to see Jeff doing down the field with passes too. O line still needs work on pass blocking, but the run blocking was consistent.
  4. Red zone offense needs improvement, we need 7 more often that 3, though it is comforting to know Stewart is consistent from low 40 yds and in.
  5. Does anyone know the status of Sims injury?
Get healthy players, this off week, and thank you the entire team, coaches, staff and fans. Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Upper north seats are as low as 35 bucks. Not too cheap but you can buy them and sit in some empty lower seats to get more than it’s worth.
I guess I'm one of the few who prefers the upper deck. But last time I went I bought endzone tickets and went straight to the upper west. No one said a word.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
And Sims actually ran out of bounds when we were trying to run clock when he could’ve just slid before going out. It’s the little things that matter most.
The one time I recall this, it was about midway through 4th so the clock restarted on ready... basically no stoppage. I still have to fight the urge to yell when it happens though...

One legit question though... since they start on ready for play, is it a shorter play clock? That does make a considerable difference...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Duke is better than last year, and probably better than the last few years. Elko looks like a good coach, and a good coach for them. I don’t think they’re all that far off from the UCF team we lost to 3 games ago (except they pass better).
They’re a mid-tier bowl quality team. They aren’t Notre Dame, but they’re at least average.

Also, Duke’s best defensive player was out at halftime for targeting—that helped us.

Hopefully, the line gets back to health over the next two weeks.
Duke had a lot of 4 and 5 year players on the OL and DL they are not great but good.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Cover guys are not running their lanes. This is not new as it has been going on for a while. The contain guy on the left got caught up way way inside on the first punt return and then we did some lazy tackling on the sideline about half way to the end zone. We previously had this lane running problem with KO coverage. We repeated said mistake on the next punt to the right. This can be fixed with coaching/discpline but you have to practice proper lane running in punt coverage. One thing Collins did well was using NFL caliber players (Cottrell and Oliver) as gunners and Harvin with his long high kicks seldomly out kicked their coverage. I personally would prefer to kick and roll a punt away from the other teams best returner (sacrifice a little yardage to minimize the other team's playmaker from spoiling our day) but maybe the coaching will catch up and we can punt and cover like everybody else..
so the guy who was the ST coach hero last wk is the goat this week for the run-backs? probably so, as you saw the lane problem,why couldn't he see it.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I hope so. Time for people to step up. Otherwise, stop complaining.
Lets be honest, we lost a lot of fans for good. They complained for awhile and then stopped and left. Its the ones who are still complaining who we have a shot at bringing back CGC did so much damage to this program. It will not be an overnight recovery. So for me as long as there are a lot of fans complaining then that is better than silence