Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Key is building a new culture at Tech right now. It's an old offensive lineman's culture of getting dirty and working your butt off for the team. Those guys don't get much individual praise nor do they have fans wearing their jersey numbers. But, they are the key (no pun intended) to winning or losing. There's no "pretty" to Key's approach. It's all about getting the details right and doing the work it takes to win.
A lot like GOL. Mentally tough.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The clock management killed me. They left at least 2 min on the clock for Duke w the quick snaps.
My hope on this is that the coaches know there are X number of things that need work for Jeff to realize his potential. One of them is clock awareness in time management situations and at this point it's been other things that have taken higher priority and they haven't wanted to overload him with too many things. And as the season progresses and he gets more real coaching like he apparently is getting now it will become something they can focus on with him.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
In Key's post game presser I enjoyed his quote "Confidence comes with preparation". Could it be players are playing better because of improved preparation? Or some tough love?

For those not at the game, there was some passion in the house. There was a "ref you suck" chant that got pretty loud on Pukes last drive. The Boo birds were out after the RTP call. Perhaps the OPI was a makeup call to mollify the Tech fans. After watching the game replay, it definitely was offensive pass interference, but just maybe the official was a little more motivated to throw the flag because of the fans.

Students showed up again in the North stands. Now need to get some butts in the seats. Still looked to be only half full.
KJ Wallace made a comment in the post-game press conference about preparation. He gave a specific example of something he didn't do right in practice leading up to the Pitt game and then in the game itself he did the same thing on a play that really hurt us. This week he put more focus and attention to practice with just that more evidence that how you practice is usually how you play. He wasn't blaming the coaches, he was blaming himself. If you haven't listened to the players post-game I highly recommend listening to KJ at least. He starts about half way through that video and then Clayton Powell-Lee joins him shortly after that. But I found KJ to be very insightful and reflective in his analysis. He also made it clear how grateful he is to be getting on the field for meaningful playing time here at GT vs his time at ND.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Standing room only tickets for Braves playoff games are $50.

Tickets for UGA’s game against Vandy (probably their least attractive game left on the schedule) start at $100

Get in price to see Chris Stapleton live in Atlanta is $80.

It will cost you $30 to see James Madison play at Georgia Southern next week.

You can get great seats at BDS for less than $45. You can buy Upper North tickets for the Thursday night game vs. UVA for $35 on ramblinwreck.com and pretty much go anywhere else in the stadium you want. The Upper East and Upper West corners are going for $40 on ramblinwreck.com. You can pay $40 for the corner ticket and go sit between the 35s once the game starts. You can get them for even cheaper than that on secondary sites, but wouldn’t you much rather your entire $40 purchase go directly to GTAA than for only $10 out of your $30 purchase to do so?

If you want things to change, if you want Georgia Tech to be successful, you have to actually support the program. It’s nice to post about the team and school on social media, to have energy on message boards, to wear gear out in public. But at some point the rubber has to meet the road. There has to be a real commitment or things will never get better. GT football tickets are a bargain for Power 5 football. Especially to go see the school and the team some of y’all claim to love. There are obviously some reasons why people won’t be able to attend every week, or afford to go to every game, but if you’re complaining about our ticket prices I’m not sure there’s any form of entertainment left out there for you. A lot of high schools are charging $10 per ticket now. Some even higher than that. If you don’t think a Georgia Tech ticket is worth $35, well that just goes to show how you really feel about the program.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Standing room only tickets for Braves playoff games are $50.

Tickets for UGA’s game against Vandy (probably their least attractive game left on the schedule) start at $100

Get in price to see Chris Stapleton live in Atlanta is $80.

It will cost you $30 to see James Madison play at Georgia Southern next week.

You can get great seats at BDS for less than $45. You can buy Upper North tickets for the Thursday night game vs. UVA for $35 on ramblinwreck.com and pretty much go anywhere else in the stadium you want. The Upper East and Upper West corners are going for $40 on ramblinwreck.com. You can pay $40 for the corner ticket and go sit between the 35s once the game starts. You can get them for even cheaper than that on secondary sites, but wouldn’t you much rather your entire $40 purchase go directly to GTAA than for only $10 out of your $30 purchase to do so?

If you want things to change, if you want Georgia Tech to be successful, you have to actually support the program. It’s nice to post about the team and school on social media, to have energy on message boards, to wear gear out in public. But at some point the rubber has to meet the road. There has to be a real commitment or things will never get better. GT football tickets are a bargain for Power 5 football. Especially to go see the school and the team some of y’all claim to love. There are obviously some reasons why people won’t be able to attend every week, or afford to go to every game, but if you’re complaining about our ticket prices I’m not sure there’s any form of entertainment left out there for you. A lot of high schools are charging $10 per ticket now. Some even higher than that. If you don’t think a Georgia Tech ticket is worth $35, well that just goes to show how you really feel about the program.
Amen.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The one time I recall this, it was about midway through 4th so the clock restarted on ready... basically no stoppage. I still have to fight the urge to yell when it happens though...

One legit question though... since they start on ready for play, is it a shorter play clock? That does make a considerable difference...
The play clock starts at 40 seconds commencing at the end of the previous play. If a player runs out of bounds the play clock starts at 40 seconds, but the game clock stops until the ball is set. If it takes 10 seconds to spot the ball and restart the game clock, then 10 fewer seconds can run off of the game clock than if the player didn't run out of bounds.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Except you're wrong. I happen to be one of those fans that think we need a schematic advantage to be successful (championships) but I don't care if it's triple option, air raid, or something else. My point is that we can't consistently beat teams with significantly better talent than us by running the same stuff they are running.
Wake and Oklahoma State seem to be doing it

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me, or does David Hale not know what a "winning record" means???
I think he understands it. I haven't checked every team, but let's take Duke:

The beat:
  1. Temple (2-3)
  2. Northwestern (1-5)
  3. NC A&T (not FBS)
  4. Kansas (5-1)
So out of 4 wins, only one of those is against an FBS school with a winning record.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

The beat:
  1. Temple (2-3)
  2. Northwestern (1-5)
  3. NC A&T (not FBS)
  4. Kansas (5-1)
So out of 4 wins, only one of those is against an FBS school with a winning record.
Duke is a P5 team with a winning record. They are 4-2. We beat them

Pitt is a P5 team with a winning record. They are 4-2. We beat them.

I’m not understanding the confusion re: this tweet.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Duke and Pitt both have winning records

The beat:
  1. Temple (2-3)
  2. Northwestern (1-5)
  3. NC A&T (not FBS)
  4. Kansas (5-1)
Ah, I got it now. The teams that they've played have winning records, not the team noted has a winning record...

Sunday. Too many brain cells killed off yesterday.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ah, I got it now. The teams that they've played have winning records, not the team noted has a winning record...

Sunday. Too many brain cells killed off yesterday.
Yes, he is looking for teams with "quality" wins. However that also works against us. Clemson beat GT, but GT isn't one of their 2 wins against teams with a winning record. It looks like half way through the season that not many of the top 25 have played a quality schedule.

EDIT: In a couple of weeks when we beat Virginia, we will raise Clemson's number of wins against winning opponents.

slugboy

Staff member
Wake and Oklahoma State seem to be doing it

Here’s a nice little write-up on Wake’s “Clawfence” https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/21/wake-forest-offense-rpo-dave-clawson. and another one with a description of the "slow mesh" https://vanderbilthustler.com/2022/09/08/film-room-the-infamous-wake-forest-slow-mesh/. Ruggerio (their OC) says that they blend read ideas from the 3O with the RPO. They were challenged with really poor pass blocking and had to come up with schemes to keep from getting their QB killed. They've altered their approach from the Bowling Green days because Wake was a different environment.

Their formations are standard RPO formations, or at least look like them. I can see arguments that they aren’t a scheme offense because they line up like RPO. I can see arguments that they are because they use the slow mesh techniques.

Also, here’s a cool video:

In contrast, Oklahoma State is a factory school.

Last edited:

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s a nice little write-up on Wake’s “Clawfence” https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/21/wake-forest-offense-rpo-dave-clawson. and another one with a description of the "slow mesh" https://vanderbilthustler.com/2022/09/08/film-room-the-infamous-wake-forest-slow-mesh/. Ruggerio (their OC) says that they blend read ideas from the 3O with the RPO. They were challenged with really poor pass blocking and had to come up with schemes to keep from getting their QB killed. They've altered their approach from the Bowling Green days because Wake was a different environment.

Their formations are standard RPO formations, or at least look like them. I can see arguments that they aren’t a scheme offense because they line up like RPO. I can see arguments that they are because they use the slow mesh techniques.

Also, here’s a cool video:

In contrast, Oklahoma State is a factory school.

Thanks for the articles.

Like you said, the formations and the routes are still very much like all the other schools that use the RPO. The only difference is a variation in the mesh. Its more akin to wider splits for offensive lineman. It more of a wrinkle than a full blown scheme.

As for Oklahoma State, they still have less talent than the Oklahoma and Texas and have played them well and beat them over the last few years. Hell, 247 places Tech above Oklahoma State in its talent rankings.