Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

JacketFan137

Banned
I think the biggest problem is that people hear what they want to from people with opposing views:

If someone is pushing for a scheme, the other people think they don't want to recruit at all. If someone is pushing to increase recruiting, the other people think they don't want to do anything other than line up man-to-man and compete solely on athletic ability.

Pushing each others opinions to the extremes makes it so that no reasonable discussion can be had.
the other issue is people like that one ridiculous post about wakeforest arguing that we HAVE to run a “scheme” to be competitive and that’s just incorrect. we don’t need a gimmick to close the gap and if that was what it took to close the gap every school would be trying weird things on offense. far too many “scheme” advocates think it’s a silver bullet. also the use of the word scheme has basically been bastardized into “running an offense that’s not what the big schools run”. scheme also includes stuff like kiffin’s offense, but people here that want “scheme” would not call their offense a scheme.

we need a good coach. period. whether that’s a guy with a “scheme” or not, we just need a guy that can recruit well, develop well, and get our guys to execute on gameday. scheme alone will never overcome deficits/make you an amazing team. if so paul johnson would have been undefeated against schools like duke, uva, and vt because we had equal or better talent for the most part but those weren’t always guaranteed wins.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’d like to see it too. If it’s been said, it’s fringe people or hysterical overreactions by a few.

Most everyone I have seen says they don’t believe we can move the recruiting needle ENOUGH to have the impact we want, therefore something needs to be done schematically to compensate.

That usually gets met with... “we know you just want to run the option. We need to recruit!”

Reality:
- we can recruit better and we should try like hell to do it until it’s proven we can’t.
- we won’t out recruit at least 3-4 of our annual opponents any time soon. There has to be more to the formula than recruiting.

Just search “We cant run the same thing as everyone else”

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Baylor, Iowa St.,
In the video he states they run that offense because they’re not as good at blocking. It neutralizes the physical advantage the DL has over their OL. That’s the whole point of a scheme, you don’t need a bunch of NFL HOF’ers running it to be successful, just average type talent executing a scheme very, very well.
the nice thing about WF’s “scheme” is that it is a variation of the same spread that essentially everyone else is doing, so you can go after kids with NFL aspirations without others negative recruiting against what your doing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting comments on Sims. Some of us have made similar observations in various threads.

That said, this game shows you the potential of Sims. He's still nowhere near where he could be versus his physical talents. Dude is a weapon...hopefully we continue to use him as such.
Jeff is capable of putting the team on his back. Be nice though, if the line would block better. He can't do it all by himself. As Coach Key observed, all three phases have to contribute to have a really good team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m late to the celebrations but WHAT A WIN!! A couple thoughts on the team’s performance:

-sims being more confident is infectious to the team. Seeing him run as hard as he did was nice. He made very few bad throws. Made some exceptional throws. (That TD to McCollum, as soon as he wound up I knew it was a TD, he’s never thrown that early over the middle)

-Leo Blackburn made a sweet debut. I think he had a few drops but made up for it. Good to see him showing his potential and hype is real

-defense is actually solid. We lead the ACC in turnover margin. And I know it’s been easy to hate Thacker but overall, his defense is playing solid. It’s nice seeing new faces making plays

-Key is infectious to the team. I love it. He has done so much in two games, it’s actually incredible. I’m not sure what will come or his coaching career over the next two months, but I’m damn sure enjoying the ride.

LETS GOOOO! So proud of our boys! GO JACKETS
Key, for better or worse, reminds me of another old offensive lineman, no, not that one (Curry), but Fulmer at Tennessee. Perhaps, a bit more demonstrative but his voice and demeanor are remarkably similar at least to me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is the second step of our journey.

and rightly so. The guy was just clueless chaos that lead to massive destruction of Tech football. People still hate Bill Lewis. CGC will be hated for life as well
That is true but wouldn't you like to be in his shoes? Financially set for life. I can't speak for others but I could endure a little bit of life long hate for that kind of "money down".

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Alabama already had the recruiting, but I think Saban is a very good example of what you are saying. He demands accountability. He has changed offensive and defensive strategies as times and methods change. He just brings in different people as OC and DC and to support OC and DC to keep up with the times. I look at Saban as a very demanding CEO. He develops strategy and makes dang sure that everyone that reports to him follows and maximizes that strategy.
Like my dad once said about comparing him to Urban Meyer at Florida when Urban developed "health issues" Saban doesn't develop health issues because he causes other people to develop health issues. Players, coaches, trainers, who knows, even the band and cheerleaders. Anyone not pulling the wagon incurs his considerable wrath.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Baylor, Iowa St.,

the nice thing about WF’s “scheme” is that it is a variation of the same spread that essentially everyone else is doing, so you can go after kids with NFL aspirations without others negative recruiting against what your doing.
I think that’s the kind of thing we should do at Tech. We need to run an offense that is similar enough to the NFL that we can still recruit well and give the defense good reps against something similar to what they’ll face most weeks. Air Raid would work fine for that purpose (the Seahawks just drafted bookend tackles who both had success playing for Mike Leach, and now they’re both doing pretty well as rookies). Honestly, for the near future if we can just get back to where we were at the end of Chan Gailey’s tenure, that would be a good place to be. Even running Sean McVay’s offense or Kyle Shanahan’s would be fine so long as we’re executing well and recruiting and developing good players.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Calling me obtuse, lol.

Now you want to talk about the context of the conversation, then any team that utilizes an offense with lesser talent and wins games is a scheme offense, even if it looks exactly like what every else is doing. Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, and many others do that same exact thing, no one on the sub is advocating to go out and hire anyone from that staff.
You know what, never mind. Most of the college football world thinks that what WF does is a unique system designed to do something different than the factories due to their inherent recruiting disadvantages. But you are probably right and they are probably wrong.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
We are now in distinguished company

Like my dad once said about comparing him to Urban Meyer at Florida when Urban developed "health issues" Saban doesn't develop health issues because he causes other people to develop health issues. Players, coaches, trainers, who knows, even the band and cheerleaders. Anyone not pulling the wagon incurs his considerable wrath.
Was this scheme or talent or both?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach Saban draws up the <a href="https://twitter.com/AlabamaFTBL?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@AlabamaFTBL</a> defense on tonight&#39;s final play.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RollTide?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#RollTide</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/cbsbank?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CBSBank</a> <a href="https://t.co/TaQt2C1mnZ">pic.twitter.com/TaQt2C1mnZ</a></p>&mdash; Alabama Athletics (@UA_Athletics) <a href="">October 9, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was this scheme or talent or both?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach Saban draws up the <a href="https://twitter.com/AlabamaFTBL?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@AlabamaFTBL</a> defense on tonight&#39;s final play.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RollTide?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#RollTide</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/cbsbank?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CBSBank</a> <a href="https://t.co/TaQt2C1mnZ">pic.twitter.com/TaQt2C1mnZ</a></p>&mdash; Alabama Athletics (@UA_Athletics) <a href="">October 9, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Both. He gets great players and great assistants and you can bet your bottom dollar he has every last detail running like clockwork. But then that is what many years at one place, unlimited resources and absolute domination of a state with access to talent in other states will do. How come others that followed Bear, with the notable exception of Gene Stallings could not do the same? Beats me but Saban was successful where they were not. But then, he was not a success in the pros nor at Michigan State. Can't remember about his other stop...LSU? Anyway, at the Capstone it all came together.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Key, for better or worse, reminds me of another old offensive lineman, no, not that one (Curry), but Fulmer at Tennessee. Perhaps, a bit more demonstrative but his voice and demeanor are remarkably similar at least to me.
One of my best friends played at UT and his position coach was Fulmer. Has nothing but great things to say about him.