Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That video is worth watching, especially for the people who come here for “film school”. As porous as Ruggerio said his line was, I don’t think we could run what they run—we haven’t been able to hold blocks long enough. Also, that’s a lot more reads than Sims is used to making.

Then again, Ruggerio is a smart OC and I think he'd figure out something to do with our players.

Here are some other videos

Oklahoma State isn't trying to do "more with less". Wake's own coaches say that's exactly what they're trying to do.

Great videos. Thanks for posting!

One thing that can’t be over emphasized is how clean the pocket is when they’re successful. When someone gets beaten up front, all bets are off. It relies on isolating the read keys and with the delayed mesh (long mesh, whatever they called it), blocks have to be held even longer.
When teams really got after us, we were getting beaten 1 on 1 up front. I remember a couple games (including a particularly frustrating UVA game) where teams were stunting the DE or blitzing the OLB to the mesh point consistently and we couldn’t slow it enough to find the read key. I haven’t watched Wake enough to see if defenses have success with that or if the second level reads in their offense really freeze OLB and safeties.
It still requires holding your own against the front 6, but I have to think the multiple ways the ball gets out quickly help slow the pursuit.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, I’m retired and on a fixed income. Football tickets are just too expensive for me now.

That’s why I’ve been attending GT baseball games. Prices for baseball tickets are much lower, plus lower prices for parking, too.

I guess my personal perspective is different.
We all have different perspectives. I graduated recently from Tech but I have student loans to pay for.... I wish Tech would offer some kind of discount to seniors on fixed income. Specially for those games that we know the stadium won't be full.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Great videos. Thanks for posting!

One thing that can’t be over emphasized is how clean the pocket is when they’re successful. When someone gets beaten up front, all bets are off. It relies on isolating the read keys and with the delayed mesh (long mesh, whatever they called it), blocks have to be held even longer.
When teams really got after us, we were getting beaten 1 on 1 up front. I remember a couple games (including a particularly frustrating UVA game) where teams were stunting the DE or blitzing the OLB to the mesh point consistently and we couldn’t slow it enough to find the read key. I haven’t watched Wake enough to see if defenses have success with that or if the second level reads in their offense really freeze OLB and safeties.
It still requires holding your own against the front 6, but I have to think the multiple ways the ball gets out quickly help slow the pursuit.
Hartman rides the mesh well up to the line while he reads the lb and if there is a hole hands off. Their center and guards must be darn good blockers. He runs it really well. I am surprised the D doesn't crash the mesh off the edge it's so slow developing but whatever they are doing seems to keep working. Clawson probably has an answer for that as well.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Any word on the guys who got injured? I know Sims is supposed to be fine, but what about McCollum, Walton, or the OL guys that went down?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Hartman rides the mesh well up to the line while he reads the lb and if there is a hole hands off. Their center and guards must be darn good blockers. He runs it really well. I am surprised the D doesn't crash the mesh off the edge it's so slow developing but whatever they are doing seems to keep working. Clawson probably has an answer for that as well.
We could never run that offense given our OL. Their QB holds that mesh long enough (more than two seconds in some cases) to give their line enough time to open up a hole. If that was us, about a tenth of a second into the mesh, a defender would break free and blow it up.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We all have different perspectives. I graduated recently from Tech but I have student loans to pay for.... I wish Tech would offer some kind of discount to seniors on fixed income. Specially for those games that we know the stadium won't be full.
I feel you on that. When we were students, Tech gave us an attitude of “Figure it out for yourself, you baby!” I remember there being an announcement during commencement regarding how to donate to Georgia Tech as an alum, and we were all thinking “Really? We haven’t even left our graduation ceremony and you’re already pestering us for money? What did you do with all that tuition you’ve been charging us?”

slugboy

Staff member
Clemson does. The double teamed DT throws one guy to the ground and bulls his way into the backfield

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I didn’t know if it also got the shortened play clock like a time out stoppage... I can’t believe I haven’t paid better attention.
:eek:
I actually remember the play where Sims ran OOB in the 4th and I don’t think I saw either clock stop... I’d like to blame the broadcast but that could’ve been my state of mind

Clock only stops out of bounds inside of 2 minutes to go in game or half.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We could never run that offense given our OL. Their QB holds that mesh long enough (more than two seconds in some cases) to give their line enough time to open up a hole. If that was us, about a tenth of a second into the mesh, a defender would break free and blow it up.
In the video he states they run that offense because they’re not as good at blocking. It neutralizes the physical advantage the DL has over their OL. That’s the whole point of a scheme, you don’t need a bunch of NFL HOF’ers running it to be successful, just average type talent executing a scheme very, very well.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Please stop being so obtuse! In the context of this conversation WF is definitely a 'scheme' offense. You can play semantics all you want, but with regards to what the actual conversation we are engaged in...related to some arguing that we need a scheme offense to be highly successful....WF definitely has a scheme. Slugboy has explained it well, but truthfully I think you knew that all along and were playing games with words.

The clear evidence that this is true lies in the fact that the people who argue that we need a 'scheme offense' are also almost universally in favor of Clawson coming to Tech to bring the WF offense. So, in the context of this conversation WF is 100% running a 'scheme' offense.

I guess I don't find a lot of debating what the meaning of 'is' is.
Calling me obtuse, lol.

Now you want to talk about the context of the conversation, then any team that utilizes an offense with lesser talent and wins games is a scheme offense, even if it looks exactly like what every else is doing. Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, and many others do that same exact thing, no one on the sub is advocating to go out and hire anyone from that staff.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Clock only stops out of bounds inside of 2 minutes to go in game or half.
Thanks
That was the original point made and the question I had is what the play clock did in that scenario. I wasn’t sure if it was a spot, wind the clock and the 25 sec play clock or if the play clock went to immediately to 40 and game started on ready for play.
Running OOB now is not the colossal mistake it used to be since the game clock restarts, but since you lose 5 seconds or so for the spot, it does cost you something of the goal is to bleed clock.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It’s been said ad nauseam on here
I think the biggest problem is that people hear what they want to from people with opposing views:

If someone is pushing for a scheme, the other people think they don't want to recruit at all. If someone is pushing to increase recruiting, the other people think they don't want to do anything other than line up man-to-man and compete solely on athletic ability.

Pushing each others opinions to the extremes makes it so that no reasonable discussion can be had.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s been said ad nauseam on here
I’d like to see it too. If it’s been said, it’s fringe people or hysterical overreactions by a few.

Most everyone I have seen says they don’t believe we can move the recruiting needle ENOUGH to have the impact we want, therefore something needs to be done schematically to compensate.

That usually gets met with... “we know you just want to run the option. We need to recruit!”

Reality:
- we can recruit better and we should try like hell to do it until it’s proven we can’t.
- we won’t out recruit at least 3-4 of our annual opponents any time soon. There has to be more to the formula than recruiting.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
In the video he states they run that offense because they’re not as good at blocking. It neutralizes the physical advantage the DL has over their OL. That’s the whole point of a scheme, you don’t need a bunch of NFL HOF’ers running it to be successful, just average type talent executing a scheme very, very well.
Did you watch the plays in the video or just what he stated? They block infinitely better than us. Further, they hold their blocks well and are able to open holes as the play progresses. The hesitation in the mesh gives the QB and the RB time to see if and where a hole is opening. If that was us, about a tenth of a second into that mesh, the entire defensive line would collapse on both the QB and RB.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Any word on the guys who got injured? I know Sims is supposed to be fine, but what about McCollum, Walton, or the OL guys that went down?

I know Walton came back in, so he should be fine. McCollum looked all right after game in plaza area.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the plays in the video or just what he stated? They block infinitely better than us. Further, they hold their blocks well and are able to open holes as the play progresses. The hesitation in the mesh gives the QB and the RB time to see if and where a hole is opening. If that was us, about a tenth of a second into that mesh, the entire defensive line would collapse on both the QB and RB.
I understand how it works and I listened to what he said. Maybe he didn’t mean what he said? I don’t know, he said it and as far as I’m concerned he’s more of an expert on his system than I am. I’m taking him at his word.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand how it works and I listened to what he said. Maybe he didn’t mean what he said? I don’t know, he said it and as far as I’m concerned he’s more of an expert on his system than I am. I’m taking him at his word.
Maybe. But I do not see that long hesitation on the mesh working well for us if we cannot hold our blocks for longer than a second. I certainly do not see having holes magically opening up like they do in the Wake videos.