Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This is bigboy football fellas, get used to it. If you don't think UGA or Clemson or Bama would love to pull this deal off for themselves then you're out of touch imo. This is genius on our part. Yea, it may be a tad inconvenient for a couple fans I guess but the ROI for GT football as a whole should put all your complaints to bed. There shouldn't be a single negative comment about this deal whatsoever. Not one.

All of those teams would be losing capacity and paying money to another facility to have games like this. They would be losing money. Why do you think they would do it?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For our fan base I would say that’s overwhelmingly positive. I mean 20% are going to complain about anything.
Actually it only 3 or 4 (2 I roll.) , but they will come around. Remember if we win 8 this year we need them to keep us from going crazy optimistic.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
EXPOSURE on a big stage. This is business 101 type stuff a couple of you aren't grasping.

I see it as a GREAT recruiting tool. While the Ugaggers are down the street promising their recruits they have a "chance" to play in arguably the greatest stadium in the world, GT can say, "How would you like to play a home game in the sold out (hopefully) Benz against Notre Dame and Clemson?"

I think some are missing the marketing merits of this deal. I think it will go a long ways with recruits. We need absolutely every advantage we can get. The Benz is in OUR town. Let's own it. Not the SEC.

Animal02

Banned
I’m not backpedaling. I’d love to dump Alcorn Stateand Gardner Webb for an Auburn or Tennessee.
Not everyone ;) But several have.
I would love to see the playoff committee disregard wins over FCS schools wrt ranking for getting into the playoff. Let them count for bowl eligibility so the lower level schools can add to their count......but anyone seriously wanting to contend would have to ditch the games.

Animal02

Banned
I see it as a GREAT recruiting tool. While the Ugaggers are down the street promising their recruits they have a "chance" to play in arguably the greatest stadium in the world, GT can say, "How would you like to play a home game in the sold out (hopefully) Benz against Notre Dame and Clemson?"

I think some are missing the marketing merits of this deal. I think it will go a long ways with recruits. We need absolutely every advantage we can get. The Benz is in OUR town. Let's own it. Not the SEC.
Really? Where is the great number of recruits saying that playing in an NFL stadium is a high priority? Every story I have seen regarding recruiting.....the number one issue was the relationship with the position coach.
This idea that it is some sort of recruiting coup is wish casting IMO. As for "greatest stadium in the world? Meh It is the shiny new toy that will be surpased by the next shiny new toy in a couple of years.

Asinine to think a recruit will really be impressed by laying in front of 71k in a rented stadium that is half filled with opponents fans compared to playing in front of 92k in your own home that is 95% your fans.
Hey recruit...want a chance to play in an NFL stadium that the team had to rent, or do you want the chance to play in an NFL stadium when you are invited to be there?
Some people need to stop drinking the koolaid.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Really? Where is the great number of recruits saying that playing in an NFL stadium is a high priority? Every story I have seen regarding recruiting.....the number one issue was the relationship with the position coach.
This idea that it is some sort of recruiting coup is wish casting IMO. As for "greatest stadium in the world? Meh It is the shiny new toy that will be surpased by the next shiny new toy in a couple of years.

Asinine to think a recruit will really be impressed by laying in front of 71k in a rented stadium that is half filled with opponents fans compared to playing in front of 92k in your own home that is 95% your fans.
Hey recruit...want a chance to play in an NFL stadium that the team had to rent, or do you want the chance to play in an NFL stadium when you are invited to be there?

Asinine and irrational to think playing an annual game in the Benz wouldnt matter to an 18 year old kid.

Mmmmk.

I'm sure you're a great GT fan, but your irrational negativity towards anything CGC is absurd. It's old. You dont like him. You miss Paul. We get it. Move along.

I generally ignore your posts. I'll remember to continue to do that in the future.

Milwaukee

Banned

Animal I think we need to have an intervention and inject some enthusiasm into you.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow.. best ever news we had at GT besides this new coach... My friends (who follow football) got excited about going to the MBS without having to pay those crazy fees. It will be really cool to be able to snap out team playing there ..

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
All of those teams would be losing capacity and paying money to another facility to have games like this. They would be losing money. Why do you think they would do it?
We have to.. cus our stadium is pretty old.. I mean Bobby Dodd might have history... But hopefully it will be renovated and expanded sometime...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
EXPOSURE on a big stage. This is business 101 type stuff a couple of you aren't grasping.

"EXPOSURE" is a reason GT would do this. I was responding to your post that said Alabama would do this. I didn't put numbers in, but if Alabama was to do this it would cost them at least $3 million in ticket sales alone. This response from you is that Alabama NEEDS exposure. Alabama has been in the national championship game four years in a row, which is a much bigger stage than moving a home game against an SEC team to a pro stadium. They don't need to lose money to get exposure. They play in a neutral site game every year, but they do it to make money. They play a single neutral site game against a P5 opponent, and then don't have to play an away game to make up for it, so they have 8 games a year that they make money from.(1 neutral and 7 home games). The only games that Alabama does not make direct income from are the four required SEC away games.

I'll ask the question again in response to YOUR post, Why do you believe that Alabama would lose money to play a home game in a pro stadium? (By the way, I am not opposed to GT doing this. I am just calling bull on this justification from you.)

Milwaukee

Banned
"EXPOSURE" is a reason GT would do this. I was responding to your post that said Alabama would do this. I didn't put numbers in, but if Alabama was to do this it would cost them at least $3 million in ticket sales alone. This response from you is that Alabama NEEDS exposure. Alabama has been in the national championship game four years in a row, which is a much bigger stage than moving a home game against an SEC team to a pro stadium. They don't need to lose money to get exposure. They play in a neutral site game every year, but they do it to make money. They play a single neutral site game against a P5 opponent, and then don't have to play an away game to make up for it, so they have 8 games a year that they make money from.(1 neutral and 7 home games). The only games that Alabama does not make direct income from are the four required SEC away games.

I'll ask the question again in response to YOUR post, Why do you believe that Alabama would lose money to play a home game in a pro stadium? (By the way, I am not opposed to GT doing this. I am just calling bull on this justification from you.)

Not sure how you concocted that I implied Alabama needs money, but whatever, it's not important. Bama would jump all over this deal if they could...and we did. This is nothing short of great for GT football. I think you're under the impression that it wouldn't be great for Bama football? Are you nuts?

It's late I'm heading to bed. We shall continue tomorrow sir.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is bigboy football fellas, get used to it. If you don't think UGA or Clemson or Bama would love to pull this deal off for themselves then you're out of touch imo. This is genius on our part. Yea, it may be a tad inconvenient for a couple fans I guess but the ROI for GT football as a whole should put all your complaints to bed. There shouldn't be a single negative comment about this deal whatsoever. Not one.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure if UGA wanted to rent MBS for one home game a year, they wouldn’t have a problem doing so. The truth is that none of the current power programs would ever consider doing this.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yeah, I’m pretty sure if UGA wanted to rent MBS for one home game a year, they wouldn’t have a problem doing so. The truth is that none of the current power programs would ever consider doing this.

That's an interesting opinion; apparently you and 2 other people feel the same way. I'll say it once more I guess: UGA would kill to pull off the deal that TStan just landed in the Benz. But you don't have to like it or be excited about it, you can think it's foolish and cheap and stupid and try to persuade people that it's nothing that any legit team would do. Carry on man. We'll see you at the Benz.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
You’re giving a lot of credit to those T-shirt degree folks out east assuming they could think of doing a deal like this. It’s obvious that Tstan thought of doing one game in the Benz and this deal grew from that.

Now, I don’t think uGA would do a deal like this today because they’ve been in the top five the last two years, but had they somehow thought of this back when they first hired Kirby, I think they would’ve done it.

Reality is we’re the first team to do something like this. So the real test on if other programs think this is a good idea is if someone is in a similar situation and copies us. CFA thought of creating the Kickoff Game, then Jerry’s world was quick to copy them after how successful it was. I could definitely see a team like Texas Tech, that plays little brother to Texas and A&M, trying to do something similar to our deal.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you concocted that I implied Alabama needs money, but whatever, it's not important. Bama would jump all over this deal if they could...and we did. This is nothing short of great for GT football.

I said absolutely nothing about Alabama needing money, or about you stating that Alabama needs money.
I do think this is positive for GT.

I think you're under the impression that it wouldn't be great for Bama football? Are you nuts?

My question to you has been why you think this would be good for Alabama football. You have responded with several things, but none of them about why this would be positive for Alabama. Business 101? Let's look at pros and cons:

• Money: Alabama would play in a stadium with 30,000 fewer seats For a marquee home game, that would be a loss of at least $3.3 million. This is a con, because they would lose money to play in an arrangement like this.
  • Exposure: Alabama already gets exposure. They play in a nationally televised kickoff game. They have been in the nationally televised SEC championship game and four years in a row in the national televised CFP championship game. Their regular season games against Tenn, LSU, and Auburn get marquee nationally televised spots. This is a push because they will get exposure with this deal or without.
  • Playing in a pro stadium: Alabama already regularly plays in pro stadiums. They play in a kickoff game in a pro stadium. They regularly play in the SEC championship game in a pro stadium. They regularly play in a CFP semi-final game in a pro stadium(They have been in this game every year that it has existed). They regularly play in the CFP championship in a pro stadium(They have been in this game four years in a row). This is a push because playing in a pro stadium to them is just a regular thing.
So, money is a con and everything else is a push. There is no need for Alabama to do this. There is no reason they would pay money to do this.

As I said above, it is a positive for GT. GT will make more money. GT will get exposure. GT will be able to use marketing to tie GT with the city of Atlanta. GT will get to impress recruits with the pro stadium.

Milwaukee

Banned
I said absolutely nothing about Alabama needing money, or about you stating that Alabama needs money.

My question to you has been why you think this would be good for Alabama football. You have responded with several things, but none of them about why this would be positive for Alabama. Business 101? Let's look at pros and cons:

• Money: Alabama would play in a stadium with 30,000 fewer seats For a marquee home game, that would be a loss of at least $3.3 million. This is a con, because they would lose money to play in an arrangement like this.
  • Exposure: Alabama already gets exposure. They play in a nationally televised kickoff game. They have been in the nationally televised SEC championship game and four years in a row in the national televised CFP championship game. Their regular season games against Tenn, LSU, and Auburn get marquee nationally televised spots. This is a push because they will get exposure with this deal or without.
  • Playing in a pro stadium: Alabama already regularly plays in pro stadiums. They play in a kickoff game in a pro stadium. They regularly play in the SEC championship game in a pro stadium. They regularly play in a CFP semi-final game in a pro stadium(They have been in this game every year that it has existed). They regularly play in the CFP championship in a pro stadium(They have been in this game four years in a row). This is a push because playing in a pro stadium to them is just a regular thing.
So, money is a con and everything else is a push. There is no need for Alabama to do this. There is no reason they would pay money to do this.

As I said above, it is a positive for GT. GT will make more money. GT will get exposure. GT will be able to use marketing to tie GT with the city of Atlanta. GT will get to impress recruits with the pro stadium.

I appreciate the well thought out post, but I think you're overthinking it. Or maybe I'm just tired. You asked why it would be great for Bama? Or Clem, or UGA, or TN?? My answer was simple: exposure. I answered your question but you don't like the answer, I'm thinking? There's a reason why music artists pay to perform at the Super Bowl, the NFL doesn't pay them to do it. It's for the exposure and all the collateral opps that come with it. I guess I see it as straight forward and simple smart business but I'm not explaining it well possibly.

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan

I agree with your analysis. It is a positive for GT at this point in time, not a positive for Bama, uGA, or Clemson. However, it is a positive ONLY if the money made playing in MBS is plowed back into the recruiting budget and BDS. If not, it is a poor move. Remember, Bama use to play in Legion Field in Birmingham. They improved Denny Stadium and BINGO, never been back to Birmingham.
Tulane tore down the old Sugar Bowl (over 70,000 seats), moved to the pro stadium (superdome), and after 30 years, realized it was a mistake. Tulane built a state of the art 35,0000 seat stadium on campus (Tech played there) and football enthusiasm returned.