Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a positive, and hopefully most if not all the extra money will be plowed into the recruiting budget.

The main concern I have is how we fill BDS in 2021 and 2023. We could switch the Ole Miss home and home for one of the games and they would likely draw more than any ACC team not named Clemson or FSU. As it stands now, though, that's a problem. The even numbered years will see the place full. The odd numbered years, not so much.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Asinine and irrational to think playing an annual game in the Benz wouldnt matter to an 18 year old kid.

Mmmmk.

I'm sure you're a great GT fan, but your irrational negativity towards anything CGC is absurd. It's old. You dont like him. You miss Paul. We get it. Move along.

I generally ignore your posts. I'll remember to continue to do that in the future.

So true. But Paul is just gonna Paul.

Animal02

Banned
That's an interesting opinion; apparently you and 2 other people feel the same way. I'll say it once more I guess: UGA would kill to pull off the deal that TStan just landed in the Benz. But you don't have to like it or be excited about it, you can think it's foolish and cheap and stupid and try to persuade people that it's nothing that any legit team would do. Carry on man. We'll see you at the Benz.
We have to.. cus our stadium is pretty old.. I mean Bobby Dodd might have history... But hopefully it will be renovated and expanded sometime...
Expanded? When it cannot sell out an above average matchup? I think common sense has been lost with all the koolaid drinking

Animal02

Banned
I think this is a positive, and hopefully most if not all the extra money will be plowed into the recruiting budget.

The main concern I have is how we fill BDS in 2021 and 2023. We could switch the Ole Miss home and home for one of the games and they would likely draw more than any ACC team not named Clemson or FSU. As it stands now, though, that's a problem. The even numbered years will see the place full. The odd numbered years, not so much.
And the chances of it being full with as many opponents fans as Tech fans is pretty good. So the chances are good in those years of making a little more money....the chances of bad optics on "the big stage" are even better.

Animal02

Banned
Asinine and irrational to think playing an annual game in the Benz wouldnt matter to an 18 year old kid.

Mmmmk.

I'm sure you're a great GT fan, but your irrational negativity towards anything CGC is absurd. It's old. You dont like him. You miss Paul. We get it. Move along.

I generally ignore your posts. I'll remember to continue to do that in the future.
The only thing connected to CGC is the absurdity of the people that think everything he touches is pure gold with no basis of fact. I will wait for your proof that playing in MBS one again is going to be the big sway factor in a recruit going to Tech instead of UGA ......I won't hold my breath.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And the chances of it being full with as many opponents fans as Tech fans is pretty good. So the chances are good in those years of making a little more money....the chances of bad optics on "the big stage" are even better.

I'm not so worried about that. And besides, the optics would be pretty bad at BDS against Clemson and ND, as well. I'm more concerned with empty seats in 2021 and 2023 than I am about seats being filled with opposing fans against Clemson and ND.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What is needed is an injection of reality in the hyperventilating posters. The notion that playing in a rented MBS is somehow going to sway recruits over UGA is absurd.

It's not a major factor, but it will help a little with some recruits I would imagine. Every little bit helps.

Animal02

Banned
I'm not so worried about that. And besides, the optics would be pretty bad at BDS against Clemson and ND, as well. I'm more concerned with empty seats in 2021 and 2023 than I am about seats being filled with opposing fans against Clemson and ND.
Definitely agree with that.....though in the past it has appeared that it was a pretty solid GT crowd against ND at BDS. I empty seats will be a major concern....especially since the NFL stadiums always seem to suck up the crowd noise.

Animal02

Banned
It's not a major factor, but it will help a little with some recruits I would imagine. Every little bit helps.
It might, but there is no evidence that it really will. As I have said in the past, the biggest factor listed by recruits on why they chose a particular school was the relationship with the position coach and honesty.
Statements like
"I see it as a GREAT recruiting tool. While the Ugaggers are down the street promising their recruits they have a "chance" to play in arguably the greatest stadium in the world, GT can say, "How would you like to play a home game in the sold out (hopefully) Benz against Notre Dame and Clemson?"
are just over the top absurd.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I see it as a GREAT recruiting tool. While the Ugaggers are down the street promising their recruits they have a "chance" to play in arguably the greatest stadium in the world, GT can say, "How would you like to play a home game in the sold out (hopefully) Benz against Notre Dame and Clemson?"
Actually while we have five games I believe UGA has three games there in the same time frame. So they can guarantee recruits they will play there. Also it cost UGA nothing to get those games.

Animal02

Banned
Actually while we have five games I believe UGA has three games there in the same time frame. So they can guarantee recruits they will play there. Also it cost UGA nothing to get those games.
It is an absurd notion that playing there will be some sort of recruiting club to beat UGA with. Might it help sway a recruit on the fringes? Maybe, but then so would the possibility of majoring in Turf Management or Parks and Rec instead of Business or Engineering.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@Milwaukee

I should have also posted the same analysis from a GT perspective:

• Money: GT will have home games in a stadium that has 16,000 more seats. The ND games and the Clemson game(on a holiday) are very likely to be sell outs. That means that GT will make at least an extra $1.5-2.0 million just from ticket sales. Probably more when other things are considered.
  • Exposure: The Clemson game will be an unopposed holiday evening nationally televised game. The ND games will likely be in marquee TV spots. GT will get exposure that it normally doesn't get, and to tie in to the next item, it will be in the Atlanta NFL stadium.
  • Playing in a pro stadium: Playing in the stadium will probably have some impact on recruiting. If will also be an opportunity on national TV to tie GT to the city of Atlanta. TStan has been saying that he wants to highlight what GT has to offer to recruits who would be interested. Some recruits would rather go to college in a small university town, but this will be an opportunity for GT to let recruits across the country who might want to be in a big city but don't know about GT to see that GT is right in the middle of Atlanta. It might also be ab opportunity to reach out to United fans.(Maybe GT can offer a free gold t-shirt to United season ticket holders who buy tickets to the game?) I don't see the fact that they are playing in a pro stadium itself as a win, but it gives GT opportunities to use the game in a pro stadium to reach out to potential fans and potential recruits that haven't been accessible before.
From what I have seen, the concerns are mainly about taking games away from BDS and/or belittling BDS. IF GT handles the games well, it can be looked at as an opportunity to move games that BDS doesn't have enough seating for to a larger high-tech venue just down the street. It can be stressed and marketed that BDS is the oldest/winningest on campus football stadium with a lot of tradition and history, while MBS is a partner facility with the capacity to handle games that BDS doesn't have the capacity for the demand. I have been impressed with TStan, and he has shown that he has a good understanding of GT and GT traditions. I believe overall that this arrangement with MBS is a good plan, and I will watch and wait with the expectation that TStan and the GTAA will get the most out of it that they can.

Milwaukee

Banned
Great points @RonJohn

BDS is by far my favorite cfb stadium I've ever been to but I'm super stoked to have a few of these games at the Benz. It gives us a bigboy feel and puts millions of more eyes on us imo. The atmosphere at the GT/TN game was electric. They just screwed up letting us all out of the stadium but I'm assuming that's fixed now.

Animal02

Banned
@Milwaukee

I should have also posted the same analysis from a GT perspective:

• Money: GT will have home games in a stadium that has 16,000 more seats. The ND games and the Clemson game(on a holiday) are very likely to be sell outs. That means that GT will make at least an extra $1.5-2.0 million just from ticket sales. Probably more when other things are considered.
  • Exposure: The Clemson game will be an unopposed holiday evening nationally televised game. The ND games will likely be in marquee TV spots. GT will get exposure that it normally doesn't get, and to tie in to the next item, it will be in the Atlanta NFL stadium.
  • Playing in a pro stadium: Playing in the stadium will probably have some impact on recruiting. If will also be an opportunity on national TV to tie GT to the city of Atlanta. TStan has been saying that he wants to highlight what GT has to offer to recruits who would be interested. Some recruits would rather go to college in a small university town, but this will be an opportunity for GT to let recruits across the country who might want to be in a big city but don't know about GT to see that GT is right in the middle of Atlanta. It might also be ab opportunity to reach out to United fans.(Maybe GT can offer a free gold t-shirt to United season ticket holders who buy tickets to the game?) I don't see the fact that they are playing in a pro stadium itself as a win, but it gives GT opportunities to use the game in a pro stadium to reach out to potential fans and potential recruits that haven't been accessible before.
From what I have seen, the concerns are mainly about taking games away from BDS and/or belittling BDS. IF GT handles the games well, it can be looked at as an opportunity to move games that BDS doesn't have enough seating for to a larger high-tech venue just down the street. It can be stressed and marketed that BDS is the oldest/winningest on campus football stadium with a lot of tradition and history, while MBS is a partner facility with the capacity to handle games that BDS doesn't have the capacity for the demand. I have been impressed with TStan, and he has shown that he has a good understanding of GT and GT traditions. I believe overall that this arrangement with MBS is a good plan, and I will watch and wait with the expectation that TStan and the GTAA will get the most out of it that they can.
ND would be a big game / big exposure ( for Tech ) regardless of where it was played. Clemson is a little bit of a risky since it is not a unique matchup that the CFA usually is. The other two games, IMO are much bigger risks since again they are not unique, and typically have not sold out even at BDS. 30k seats empty could wipe out any gains made via the ND game.
Now you want to offer freebies to get people to buying tickets?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
ND would be a big game / big exposure ( for Tech ) regardless of where it was played. Clemson is a little bit of a risky since it is not a unique matchup that the CFA usually is. The other two games, IMO are much bigger risks since again they are not unique, and typically have not sold out even at BDS. 30k seats empty could wipe out any gains made via the ND game.
Now you want to offer freebies to get people to buying tickets?

I don't think the Clemson game is risky. A prime time, unopposed, nationally televised, holiday game should be a sell out. The big question is how many of the fans will be GT fans. It would be crazy to not reach out to United season ticket holders. Many of them attended several games at BDS. There are probably many of them that do not have a college football team that they have an affinity for. They are a prime group of potential GT ticket buyers. If GT were to offer them shirts with a ticket purchase, it would be an incentive to purchase and a way to keep them from wearing red and black to the game.

Animal02

Banned
I don't think the Clemson game is risky. A prime time, unopposed, nationally televised, holiday game should be a sell out. The big question is how many of the fans will be GT fans. It would be crazy to not reach out to United season ticket holders. Many of them attended several games at BDS. There are probably many of them that do not have a college football team that they have an affinity for. They are a prime group of potential GT ticket buyers. If GT were to offer them shirts with a ticket purchase, it would be an incentive to purchase and a way to keep them from wearing red and black to the game.
Clemson at GT attendance
2018 - 50,595
2016 - 53, 932
2014 - 49,378
2011 - 55,686
2009 - 52,029

One sellout in over a decade

Considering that ticket prices at BDS have been very reasonable, and since history is the best predictor of future performance.......just what evidence is there for a demand of an additional 15K tickets?
I might add that in 2014 Tech was ranked 24, and Clemp was 18 late in the season.....and we got less than 50k

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Considering that ticket prices at BDS have been very reasonable, and since history is the best predictor of future performance.......just what evidence is there for a demand of an additional 15K tickets?

Since you want apples to apples historic comparisons, just how many of those were in a non-opposed, national TV, holiday time spot? I said earlier that we will have to see how many GT fans we can get in the stands, but I have no doubt that Clemson fans will gobble up any remaining tickets for a holiday game on a national stage.

You should be concerned about and thinking of ways to get more GT people to get the tickets first, than worrying about the Clemson game looking like a Georgia State(in the Dome) game on TV.