Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m out of touch. On the bright side I might be “back in touch” in five years.

For the record.....No way in hell Clemson or UGA would give up a marquee home game like ND for the Benz. A CFA game they’d jump on....swapping out a home game....hell nah. But that’s because they are playing peewee and we will be playing big boy football.
There's also no way they would run the flexbone 100% of the time.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Clemson at GT attendance
2018 - 50,595
2016 - 53, 932
2014 - 49,378
2011 - 55,686
2009 - 52,029

One sellout in over a decade

Considering that ticket prices at BDS have been very reasonable, and since history is the best predictor of future performance.......just what evidence is there for a demand of an additional 15K tickets?
I might add that in 2014 Tech was ranked 24, and Clemp was 18 late in the season.....and we got less than 50k
Its a Chick-fil-A Kickoff game.... Folks were worried about GT and Ten... but that game drew 75,107.... The better question is not the Clemson/Notre Dame games, but the other two games yet to be filled.... Who will travel since FSU is not in those years?? VT, Miami, UNC?? It is a huge gamble and we could see those games as less than filled during the season... That is why i am guessing the 2023 will be a Chick-fil0A KO game between Lousiville & GT so folks will travel..

Animal02

Banned
Its a Chic-fil-A Kickoff game.... Folks were worried about GT and Ten... but that game drew 75,107.... The better question is not the Clemson/Notre Dame games, but the other two games yet to be filled.... Who will travel since FSU is not in those years?? VT, Miami, UNC?? It is a huge gamble..
Tech / Tenn was a unusual match up.....not a match up that happened every year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Tech / Tenn was a unusual match up.....not a match up that happened every year.

If you think that the Clemson fans won't travel on a holiday for the first game of the season that will be played on a national stage, I believe you are wrong.

If the GTAA can control the narrative and suggest that the Clemson game is in MBS because more people want to attend than BDS can hold, they can possible bring in many casual GT fans and also many people from Atlanta who aren't big fans, but want to attend a big event. Miami has similar problems with nobody showing up at their games, but when it is an event(like the ND game hyped nationally), they pack the stadium. When the ND and Clemson games are closer, we should use all of that to get people to want to be there.

Animal02

Banned
If you think that the Clemson fans won't travel on a holiday for the first game of the season that will be played on a national stage, I believe you are wrong.

If the GTAA can control the narrative and suggest that the Clemson game is in MBS because more people want to attend than BDS can hold, they can possible bring in many casual GT fans and also many people from Atlanta who aren't big fans, but want to attend a big event. Miami has similar problems with nobody showing up at their games, but when it is an event(like the ND game hyped nationally), they pack the stadium. When the ND and Clemson games are closer, we should use all of that to get people to want to be there.
It may turn out fine....but it could also be a train wreck. Past performance is a prime predictor of future outcome. They did not travel well in past big match up games with Tech. IMO, it is an unnecessary risk that was taken

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It may turn out fine....but it could also be a train wreck. Past performance is a prime predictor of future outcome. They did not travel well in past big match up games with Tech. IMO, it is an unnecessary risk that was taken

If you are looking for past performance to be an apples-to-apples comparison, which holiday, unopposed big game match up are you referring to?

Animal02

Banned
If you are looking for past performance to be an apples-to-apples comparison, which holiday, unopposed big game match up are you referring to?
You have no comparison of regular scheduled games in that situation. To try to compare it to the Tenn / GT game and say crowds will be the same is not a valid comparison. What has shown in the past is that Tech Clemson consistently draws about 50k in Atlanta regardless of the combined team rankings...and if anything an increase of ticket prices reduced the number of Clemson fans.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You have no comparison of regular scheduled games in that situation.

You don't have a comparison of a regularly scheduled Clemson game in that situation either, yet you continue to say that the recent previous years games are in fact a good comparison. The most recent games that are close would be the 2016 Thursday night game and the 2011 Saturday night game. The 2016 Thursday night game attendance was about 53k. I would say Thursday night games are a mixed bag. Some who don't normally go to games stay in town after work and attend, while some who attend regularly can't in the middle of the week. The 2011 game was the ABC Saturday night game of the week. It was sold out.

Therefore the most recent game with the closest comparison was a sell out. It was a national game, but it: wasn't unopposed, wasn't on a holiday, and wasn't on as big of a stage. That is the comparison you should be using.(The closest to the actual situation). It just doesn't fit your narrative.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

It isn't them I'm worried about, it's us. Last year at BDS the stadium was close to half orange.

Animal02

Banned
You don't have a comparison of a regularly scheduled Clemson game in that situation either, yet you continue to say that the recent previous years games are in fact a good comparison. The most recent games that are close would be the 2016 Thursday night game and the 2011 Saturday night game. The 2016 Thursday night game attendance was about 53k. I would say Thursday night games are a mixed bag. Some who don't normally go to games stay in town after work and attend, while some who attend regularly can't in the middle of the week. The 2011 game was the ABC Saturday night game of the week. It was sold out.

Therefore the most recent game with the closest comparison was a sell out. It was a national game, but it: wasn't unopposed, wasn't on a holiday, and wasn't on as big of a stage. That is the comparison you should be using.(The closest to the actual situation). It just doesn't fit your narrative.

The odds of both teams being ranked at the start of the season is slim. Declaring that it will definitely be a sellout base on one data points out of many is pure speculation.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Declaring that it will definitely be a sellout base on one data points out of many is pure speculation.

And I say that basing an opinion on non-similar data points is pointless. Intentionally ignoring factors such as holidays, and the only game being played points to trying to prove bias. There is only one similar data point which is the only one you want to ignore. Why don't you just say that opening weekend games usually average low to mid 40,000s attendance? That has just as much in common with the CFA kickoff game as previous season Clemson games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The odds of both teams being ranked at the start of the season is slim. Declaring that it will definitely be a sellout base on one data points out of many is pure speculation.

Unless Clemson takes a crazy nose dive in performance their fans will travel very well. If Tech doesn’t have a good season prior......it might be 70/30 Clemson / Tech in the stadium. Tech doesn’t show well when not riding somewhat high.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Actually, 2022 is probably as good a shot as we will get at entering the season ranked. The 2021 season has uga, Kennesaw St and ND for OOC with BC as the rotating crossover. Depending on who we add for the fourth OOC, and at only 3 years away it's likely not going to be a P5 team, we stand a good shot at piling up some wins that season, which could very well lead to a late season ranking and a preseason 2022 ranking.

Unless maybe you were speculating that Clemson would tank...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
A62844C0-D18A-4DBE-B35E-3D629744A82A.jpeg

95CC64FD-3F01-4781-A8EA-081DB0307841.jpeg

Yeah man, Clemson fans never travel well to Bobby Dodd.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, 2022 is probably as good a shot as we will get at entering the season ranked. The 2021 season has uga, Kennesaw St and ND for OOC with BC as the rotating crossover. Depending on who we add for the fourth OOC, and at only 3 years away it's likely not going to be a P5 team, we stand a good shot at piling up some wins that season, which could very well lead to a late season ranking and a preseason 2022 ranking.

Unless maybe you were speculating that Clemson would tank...
Thank u for stating facts in support of your opinion .
Hopefully true gt supporters will make to this a special game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thank u for stating facts in support of your opinion .
Hopefully true gt supporters will make to this a special game.

So where have they been, how long until they return, and how long will they stick around this time?

An awful lot of that orange depicted in @SteamWhistle’s photos above were in season ticket holder sections. If CGC doesn’t turn hype into on field success.....those optics will likely look even worse at MBS,

Here’s to hoping for unrivaled success and a lot of Tech fans coming back out of the woodwork. They been missing since 1991.

Animal02

Banned
View attachment 5302
View attachment 5303
Yeah man, Clemson fans never travel well to Bobby Dodd.
Never said they did not travel well......said we have had one sell out over the last decade.......and in 2014 late in the season, with both teams ranked in the top 20......there was less than 50K there.
All I have been saying is that based on past performance......there is no indication that demand will suddenly jump by 25K. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a good chance it won't/

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Never said they did not travel well......said we have had one sell out over the last decade.......and in 2014 late in the season, with both teams ranked in the top 20......there was less than 50K there.
All I have been saying is that based on past performance......there is no indication that demand will suddenly jump by 25K. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a good chance it won't/

Both teams weren't ranked in the top 20 for that game. Clemson was ranked 19th and GT was 22nd at the time.

But to your larger point, there is some merit. There is a risk that GT fans don't show up and it's an embarrassment. Now, is that a risk worth taking? I believe so for the following reasons:

1. Let's say GT enters the season unranked but just on the edge. The fact that we're playing Clemson first game will be big television, (just like this season opener) because we'll be one if the handful of real games on TV, and not a creampuff eating contest.. We stand just as much chance of embarrassing ourselves by not filling up our own stadium, much less what might be perceived by the outside viewing audience as a neutral site, even though we should have the advantages of a home game. IMO, this helps to mitigate some, not all, of the risk involved.

2. GT is not yet on par with uga, Clemson, Bama, so the hypotheticals about what "they" would do is moot. We are trying to get where they are. Our road is different from theirs. Climbing a mountain is risky, but you don't get to the top without taking them.

3. The image of GT HAS to change drastically, and rapidly, to maximize the success we need to have in recruiting in order for the new staff to be successful. We were able to be successful under CPJ with fairly modest to sometimes poor recruiting because we had a scheme run by a future HOF coach who was the master of his craft. While I have every confidence in CGC as a HC, his OC brings no decisive scheme advantage with him, so we must now recruit exponentially better than we ever have (consistently) in order to make this work. Trying new things like this keeps GT in the spotlight, and not for negative reasons. That in itself is a win.

4. The fanbase as a whole is energized in a way we haven't seen since 2008-9. Now, I'm not buying all the hype wholesale, and have cautioned a wait and see approach before we anoint success prematurely, but I also recognize that this level of buzz has some real benefits. Most polls I have seen indicate there is a lot of support for the MBS move. Most fans I speak with are happy about it. I know I am. I see this as a short term success that could prove risky, but could also win big for us.

In short, I agree that there is risk, but I think it's a risk worth taking right now.