Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

Animal02

Banned
Other than ND what will be the big draw gor Tech fans? The Benz is great for pro ball but not great for college football. I know you don’t want to hear that from me. Go dig up comments about the Benz post UT game if you want to hear from others....Nah! You don’t want to hear that now either.

Time will tell what attendance this brings.
If I really want to see a game there, I would pick a weekend that Tech played at home and the Falcons played the next day.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Stop triggering people who already know how great everything is and will be. They are very uncomfortable having their convictions questioned.

It’s like what Cosby used to tell the ladies. Just drink up a little more. Everything is gonna be just fine.

This does make me realize how stupid it was to redesign our locker room at GF. Why could we not just use the nice one we already had? They had a training facility, lockers for each player and showers. Why spend all that damn money?

McCamish? Ridiculous to change it from what we had. It, due to bad paint job, proves how useless these efforts are.

Same with baseball. When I was in school they had some metal structures with wooden seats and basically the same field. Why play a game in the Braves stadium? What we had was just fine.

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Seems a bit low. I would say more like 3 points, but don't want to split hairs. Especially if the crowd tilts attendance percentage wise in favor of the away team. Three points would seems reasonable.

I agree there is always a risk/reward. I am still on the fence with this decision. I understand the potential. And if I am TStan I am not sure I would not do the same.

I just did not see where anyone was taking into account the risk to the win/loss potential.

That potential for losing will not be any greater at MBS than it would have been at GF.

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan
This does make me realize how stupid it was to redesign our locker room at GF. Why could we not just use the nice one we already had? They had a training facility, lockers for each player and showers. Why spend all that damn money?

McCamish? Ridiculous to change it from what we had. It, due to bad paint job, proves how useless these efforts are.

Same with baseball. When I was in school they had some metal structures with wooden seats and basically the same field. Why play a game in the Braves stadium? What we had was just fine.

Well stated, sir! The GTAA told us we needed new locker rooms to recruit football players. We need to update our training facilities to recruit football players. We need to update our "gameday experience" at BDS to recruit football players and boot alumni support.
Now, the GTAA is broke and we HAVE to go to MBS to attract recruits, update our "gameday experience" and boost alumni support. RIDICULOUS!!
Focus on winning, not gimmicks. Winning will attract recruits. Winning will enhance our "gameday experience." Winning will boost alumni support. Winning begets winning. Winning negates whining.
Amen!

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought you had season tickets did you stop for a time?

I had season tickets for 8 years running but last year I didn't renew, but I did buy 4 3-packs and actually attended 4 games. I'm getting older (like everybody:)) and the noon games take a toll on me physically. I'm a sidewalk fan but I've been going to Tech games since 1961 and I love Georgia Tech, but the thought of staying home and watching the noon games in my air conditioned man-cave with free parking, bathroom close by and delicious concessions in my refrigerator appealed to my rational side. But last year I went to the Virginia game on a whim after dropping off my wife at the airport. I saw a great game and had a great time and I realized that, to me, there is nothing like BEING THERE. I also realized that going in person keeps me young, if not physically, mentally. When I go to BDS for a Tech Game I become a 10 year old boy again, just like my first Tech game https://www.criticalpast.com/video/...Rice-Owls_Grant-Field_American-football-match in 1961. So I was excited when they announced the MBS games and I wanted to be an eye witness of the CGC era. This year you will find me in Section 109, Row 32, Seats 21-22, and all I have to say is GO JACKETS and THWG!

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/...Rice-Owls_Grant-Field_American-football-match

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I had season tickets for 8 years running but last year I didn't renew, but I did buy 4 3-packs and actually attended 4 games. I'm getting older (like everybody:)) and the noon games take a toll on me physically. I'm a sidewalk fan but I've been going to Tech games since 1961 and I love Georgia Tech, but the thought of staying home and watching the noon games in my air conditioned man-cave with free parking, bathroom close by and delicious concessions in my refrigerator appealed to my rational side. But last year I went to the Virginia game on a whim after dropping off my wife at the airport. I saw a great game and had a great time and I realized that, to me, there is nothing like BEING THERE. I also realized that going in person keeps me young, if not physically, mentally. When I go to BDS for a Tech Game I become a 10 year old boy again, just like my first Tech game https://www.criticalpast.com/video/...Rice-Owls_Grant-Field_American-football-match in 1961. So I was excited when they announced the MBS games and I wanted to be an eye witness of the CGC era. This year you will find me in Section 109, Row 32, Seats 21-22, and all I have to say is GO JACKETS and THWG!

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/...Rice-Owls_Grant-Field_American-football-match
I can understand each year I say this will be my last year I get tickets but then when it's time to renew I still keep getting them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I leave this here ( it's about tickets for the games in MBS)

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ff-game-came-together/LexuS3hxRStgwcGJsfkIKI/

As it will be a home game for Tech, the financial arrangement will be different than it would be for the usual kickoff game, which is normally a neutral-site game. Tech will be given control of most of the tickets for the game in the 71,000-seat stadium, and then will be due a payout from the Peach Bowl after selling that allotment. As the visiting team for an ACC game, Clemson will receive 4,300 tickets. Game organizers will take a portion. Tech will have the rest.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Well when we aren’t using those facilities....you actually have a point......hooozah!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The shark jumping is by those that expect the move to be such a branding/ marketing and recruiting coup with no proof other than the hype.

I think it's fair to state that I am on the "wait and see" train when it comes to CGC. I used to think you were as well. I am becoming increasingly convinced that you are now actively and violently disagreeing with every decision GT makes regardless of its merits.

That being said, there's always little in the way of proof when you experiment. Since you firmly agree that GT has historically struggled with recruiting, I fail to understand why trying something new would be a bad thing. After all, if the old method wasn't working, let's not double down on it. Under CPJ we had a scheme advantage that helped to offset the recruiting woes. Under CGC we will lose that and recruiting becomes more vital for GT than it ever has been, as we have to transition an offense from the ground up. At some point, we HAVE to try new things, and this, IMO, is a good start. At the end of 5 years we may look back and say we made a mistake, but we can honestly say we were trying to change the narrative about GT, and I can live with that.

I think it's fair to state that I am on the "wait and see" train when it comes to CGC. I used to think you were as well. I am becoming increasingly convinced that you are now actively and violently disagreeing with every decision GT makes regardless of its merits.

That being said, there's always little in the way of proof when you experiment. Since you firmly agree that GT has historically struggled with recruiting, I fail to understand why trying something new would be a bad thing. After all, if the old method wasn't working, let's not double down on it. Under CPJ we had a scheme advantage that helped to offset the recruiting woes. Under CGC we will lose that and recruiting becomes more vital for GT than it ever has been, as we have to transition an offense from the ground up. At some point, we HAVE to try new things, and this, IMO, is a good start. At the end of 5 years we may look back and say we made a mistake, but we can honestly say we were trying to change the narrative about GT, and I can live with that.
I think after the first game in MBS, we will know whether it was a mistake or not .... or at least whether Tech actually handled it right for a change. But by then, unless it's a purely Tech problem, it will be too late to change anything. I wish we had experimented with it once before signing up for 4 more years of it. There is potential for bad, and there is potential for good. But I bet we know which after the first game there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I posted previously....TS had the opportunity to make something of this....dropping the FCS game in lieu of a big name Marquee opponent....instead, he traded off home games to sell more tickets to opponents.

We have two OOC p5 games already scheduled for 2020 through 2027. I'm all for a tough schedule, but I can see why he may not have wanted to schedule another one. That seems enough.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
The shark jumping is by those that expect the move to be such a branding/ marketing and recruiting coup with no proof other than the hype.
Not sure about all the hype/branding/recruiting but I’ll enjoy the game with a beer in my hand and surrounded by 2-4 friends that probably would’ve never gone to these games at BDS. What’s not to love?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think after the first game in MBS, we will know whether it was a mistake or not .... or at least whether Tech actually handled it right for a change. But by then, unless it's a purely Tech problem, it will be too late to change anything. I wish we had experimented with it once before signing up for 4 more years of it. There is potential for bad, and there is potential for good. But I bet we know which after the first game there.

That's where the business decision has to be made. If we "tried" it once, and it was successful, then we won't get as good of a deal the next go round, because it's a proven product. By signing a longer term deal, we get the same benefits regardless of how successful we are for all five games.

Also, being unsuccessful does no real harm to GT. We are already underperforming in packing BDS, so anything we can do to generate more sales and excitement is a net positive. That being said, I think this is a real win for CGC and GT.

Animal02

Banned

It is not a matter of whether something new is a bad or a good thing.....it is simply people taking the hype as FACT with no proof. In all the stories of recruits and the process....I have never seen "Playing in a NFL stadium" ever mentioned. Tech needs money...I get that.....then they should just be honest about it and deal with it. BTW, the major negative most recruits described......not being honest and or realistic.....making promises they knew would not be kept. The most positive remarks were regarding the relationship with the position coaches.

As I posted before.....I do think having a Marquee game there every few years could be a good idea. Scrapping the FCS game and bringing in a big name could have done wonders marketing as a move to play "big boy football" Moving what could very likely be a run of the mill conference game between to average opponents, when historically we have not sold out BDS even for some of the biggest games, could be a fiasco. It is one thing to take risks when you have lots of opportunities to make corrections.....with football you have a very small window......and now we are locked in for 5 years.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

Love this post! And cheers to you! Keep getting younger whipper snapper!

Animal02

Banned
That's where the business decision has to be made. If we "tried" it once, and it was successful, then we won't get as good of a deal the next go round, because it's a proven product. By signing a longer term deal, we get the same benefits regardless of how successful we are for all five games.

Also, being unsuccessful does no real harm to GT. We are already underperforming in packing BDS, so anything we can do to generate more sales and excitement is a net positive. That being said, I think this is a real win for CGC and GT.
The bad optics of having a home game that is 30-50% opponents does no harm? Seriously?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-the-georgia-tech-clemson-chick-fil-kickoff-game-

[URL]https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-the-georgia-tech-clemson-chick-fil-kickoff-game-came-together/LexuS3hxRStgwcGJsfkIKI/
As it will be a home game for Tech, the financial arrangement will be different than it would be for the usual kickoff game, which is normally a neutral-site game. Tech will be given control of most of the tickets for the game in the 71,000-seat stadium, and then will be due a payout from the Peach Bowl after selling that allotment. As the visiting team for an ACC game, Clemson will receive 4,300 tickets. Game organizers will take a portion. Tech will have the rest.

came-together/LexuS3hxRStgwcGJsfkIKI/[/URL]

Ok. So NOW What are people’s thoughts in the fact that we hold approx 57000 seats of tix to the Clemson game and 61,000 to ND and the other games?

What if we were selling the prime time seats behind ND’s bench for $400-500? And the boxes of 10 seats for $10,000. Where my math people at? The article said what we typically make. Pretty sure this is a NO BRAINER financially.