Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
So winning is less important than money and recruiting? Serious question.
I would say they are. Look at Kentucky. They hadn’t won jack. They got a new coach, recruited better, spent some money, and poof they were top 25 and beat Florida in the swamp.

Animal02

Banned
Money and recruiting helps you win.

Look, you can't get anywhere playing scared. GT has made some bold moves lately. Some of them may not work out so well. But our trajectory is getting higher, and it's all going to work out better in the long run, I do believe.
And just how is the trajectory higher? With talk? Nothing has been accomplished.....until a better win percentage is shown, all this is empty talk, and God forbid we end up with worse records as some have predicted......this whole "experiment" will look foolish.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And just how is the trajectory higher? With talk? Nothing has been accomplished.....until a better win percentage is shown, all this is empty talk, and God forbid we end up with worse records as some have predicted......this whole "experiment" will look foolish.

As I said, nothing is guaranteed. But, we try. The alternative is to accept the status quo.

I vote for the experiment, because the potential upside seems to me greater than the potential downside.

I understand you may not see it that way. I even understand you may be right. But I vote for the experiment.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Stop triggering people who already know how great everything is and will be. They are very uncomfortable having their convictions questioned.

It’s like what Cosby used to tell the ladies. Just drink up a little more. Everything is gonna be just fine.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Another question. Since we concede playing at MBS does not help the team win, I wounder what Las Vegas would change in the point spread to cover this change in venue?

I'm guessing it might change the point spread slightly, maybe a half point or a point. The game in BDS would probably be about 50/50, fan wise. The game in MBS might tilt toward the opponent a bit, but that projection is subject to change as events unfold.

Animal02

Banned
As I said, nothing is guaranteed. But, we try. The alternative is to accept the status quo.

I vote for the experiment, because the potential upside seems to me greater than the potential downside.

I understand you may not see it that way. I even understand you may be right. But I vote for the experiment.
So how is the trajectory higher. I have seen more and more of opinion / supposition stated as fact. Same with playing in MBS will improve recruiting / branding etc etc. Just hope will branding be improved if in year 3 we play Pitt there ,both teams are 3-3 and 40k people attend?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I hear ya. I just have never seen BDS as being any sort of negative for a status quo. Not the building itself.

Some here think this move will generate even more fan excitement to build the program and offset any negatives with overwhelming positives. Time will tell. I had huge desire to see Tech play ND at BDS. The draw of the Benz is no draw for me. Hopefully most fans feel otherwise. Looks like most here do. That’s a good thing for TStan.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So how is the trajectory higher. I have seen more and more of opinion / supposition stated as fact. Same with playing in MBS will improve recruiting / branding etc etc. Just hope will branding be improved if in year 3 we play Pitt there ,both teams are 3-3 and 40k people attend?

It's a trajectory of aspiration, and aspirations are getting higher. You have to aspire to get higher before you get there. Of course it's all talk now. We haven't even played a game since all this started, and even then the potential will not be realized immediately. But you have to start somewhere, and there is value in being bold and projecting a new attitude of positive outlook.

Animal02

Banned
I hear ya. I just have never seen BDS as being any sort of negative for a status quo. Not the building itself.

Some here think this move will generate even more fan excitement to build the program and offset any negatives with overwhelming positives. Time will tell. I had huge desire to see Tech play ND at BDS. The draw of the Benz is no draw for me. Hopefully most fans feel otherwise. Looks like most here do. That’s a good thing for TStan.
The off years are where the danger lies ...playing a team like Pitt etc.....predicted to be the Marquee match up and they end up like Tech '15. 30k empty seats would look awful foolish.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You are without a doubt the most depressing person I have come in contact with.

Animal02

Banned
It's a trajectory of aspiration, and aspirations are getting higher. You have to aspire to get higher before you get there. Of course it's all talk now. We haven't even played a game since all this started, and even then the potential will not be realized immediately. But you have to start somewhere, and there is value in being bold and projecting a new attitude of positive outlook.
In other words......hype.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

It's not that BDS is a "negative". It's just time to try something new, something bold and different. I just think the whole new attitude is going to rub off. Some of these experiments may not work. But trying to do something different and being bold has value in and of itself. We've been stuck in a rut for too long.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm guessing it might change the point spread slightly, maybe a half point or a point. The game in BDS would probably be about 50/50, fan wise. The game in MBS might tilt toward the opponent a bit, but that projection is subject to change as events unfold.

Seems a bit low. I would say more like 3 points, but don't want to split hairs. Especially if the crowd tilts attendance percentage wise in favor of the away team. Three points would seems reasonable.

I agree there is always a risk/reward. I am still on the fence with this decision. I understand the potential. And if I am TStan I am not sure I would not do the same.

I just did not see where anyone was taking into account the risk to the win/loss potential.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
TStan mentioned that he hoped to have 7 home games during this 5-year contract, 6 at BDS and 1 at MBS. If this means we are essentially trading our Away games at G5 schools (UCF, USF, Tulane) for a Home game at MBS, that sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Stansbury said that the athletic department will work to secure seven home games in all five seasons – with one being at the Benz.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...mercedes-benz-stadium/HSCZUUxUNOAfB1THFYH2vI/
Just a note, we are not treating a G5 or FCS game for a game at MBS. The non Notre Dame games Will be against in the ACC opponent. One of those opponents will be Clemson in a Chick-fil-A Kickoff game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In other words......hype.

Yeah, hype. It does have its value. Certainly not always, but in many cases it does, especially in something as media-driven and youth-oriented as college football.

Hype is not necessarily a bad thing. It has its place.