Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

Animal02

Banned
It's not that BDS is a "negative". It's just time to try something new, something bold and different. I just think the whole new attitude is going to rub off. Some of these experiments may not work. But trying to do something different and being bold has value in and of itself. We've been stuck in a rut for too long.
Really? Well over 50% of D1 teams would love to have had the success Tech has had.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems a bit low. I would say more like 3 points, but don't want to split hairs. Especially if the crowd tilts attendance percentage wise in favor of the away team. Three points would seems reasonable.

I agree there is always a risk/reward. I am still on the fence with this decision. I understand the potential. And if I am TStan I am not sure I would not do the same.

I just did not see where anyone was taking into account the risk to the win/loss potential.

It was an excellent question.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well TCU and Ohio St changed a game to AT&T Stadium last year and it was an 8pm ESPN game. Similar situation, so you would hope for a similar outcome. Also, I feel that having a press conference with the leaders of each group was them setting these up marquee special games, and I doubt Aurther Blank wants MBS to be seen as just a run of the mill, mid-day game location. Noon games don’t really sell the marquee matchup in a world class stadium picture.
TCU and Ohio St was a 4 vs 15 matchup in a weekend when there weren't many big games. They would have been a prime time game no matter where it was played. As for Arthur Blank, I'm not sure he has much control over ESPN who decides when we play.

Animal02

Banned
TStan mentioned that he hoped to have 7 home games during this 5-year contract, 6 at BDS and 1 at MBS. If this means we are essentially trading our Away games at G5 schools (UCF, USF, Tulane) for a Home game at MBS, that sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Stansbury said that the athletic department will work to secure seven home games in all five seasons – with one being at the Benz.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...mercedes-benz-stadium/HSCZUUxUNOAfB1THFYH2vI/
Having a 7th home game every year is accomplished by paying a school (typically a FCS team) to play at Tech without a corresponding home game at their field.

Animal02

Banned
For the record, I don't find you depressing at all. I would find it depressing and a bit creepy to find all of us in lockstep agreement. I appreciate your viewpoint, even if it doesn't always jibe with my own.
I posted previously....TS had the opportunity to make something of this....dropping the FCS game in lieu of a big name Marquee opponent....instead, he traded off home games to sell more tickets to opponents.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is a thought to follow up on what I posted.

I may be jumping to a conclusion, but this would seem like an away game to the players.

To improve on the team experience for the players, have in the contract that Tech gets time in MBS familiarizing the team with the stadium and facilities. Let them practice multiple times there. Heck, replace a walk to Rose Bowl field with a bus ride down to MBS. Get them comfortable there and ease the feeling of playing a home game in an away stadium. This should be easy during fall camp and really help prior to the Clemson game. Again, this is about winning and not money or hype. Do everything possible to help the team win.

Another thought. Have the spring game there.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Here is a thought to follow up on what I posted.

I may be jumping to a conclusion, but this would seem like an away game to the players.

To improve on the team experience for the players, have in the contract that Tech gets time in MBS familiarizing the team with the stadium and facilities. Let them practice multiple times there. Heck, replace a walk to Rose Bowl field with a bus ride down to MBS. Get them comfortable there and ease the feeling of playing a home game in an away stadium. This should be easy during fall camp and really help prior to the Clemson game. Again, this is about winning and not money or hype. Do everything possible to help the team win.

Another thought. Have the spring game there.
Rent is probably too high to justify it...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Perhaps.

But do you agree it is important to get the team experience in the stadium?
In MBS... No.

The game is on a a 120 long field (end zones included). The same size field as we have on campus.

Would love to see 20K show up for this year's Spring Game at BDS@HGF this year.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I really question this notion of exposure as well. What are people expecting to happen that wouldn’t have happened if the games were at BDS? Are we expecting ESPN to give us better time and channel slots? Are we expecting national media to cover us more because the game is in a pro stadium? What are the actual tangible exposure benefits we are expecting here?
I’m expecting more GT asses in the seats. You can’t tell me that more tech fans from out of town(and even sidewalk and in town) won’t show up for these games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m expecting more GT asses in the seats. You can’t tell me that more tech fans from out of town(and even sidewalk and in town) won’t show up for these games.

Other than ND what will be the big draw gor Tech fans? The Benz is great for pro ball but not great for college football. I know you don’t want to hear that from me. Go dig up comments about the Benz post UT game if you want to hear from others....Nah! You don’t want to hear that now either.

Time will tell what attendance this brings.