Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

Animal02

Banned
We have two OOC p5 games already scheduled for 2020 through 2027. I'm all for a tough schedule, but I can see why he may not have wanted to schedule another one. That seems enough.
So now we DON'T want a tough schedule? After all these years of people whining about not scheduling Auburn and Bama? Now we need an easy schedule? What happened to the demand of playing big boy football?

Animal02

Banned
Ok. So NOW What are people’s thoughts in the fact that we hold approx 57000 seats of tix to the Clemson game and 61,000 to ND and the other games?

What if we were selling the prime time seats behind ND’s bench for $400-500? And the boxes of 10 seats for $10,000. Where my math people at? The article said what we typically make. Pretty sure this is a NO BRAINER financially.
So the season ticket holders that have those seats at BDS get shaken down?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So now we DON'T want a tough schedule? After all these years of people whining about not scheduling Auburn and Bama? Now we need an easy schedule? What happened to the demand of playing big boy football?

At this point, you've already moved the goal posts in your arguments from BDS to MBS, so we might as well play there...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So you are our self appointed monitor? I sincerely don’t remember you posting anything positive.

Wait a second.....let me get this straight. So you are the self appointed monitor?

Just to be clear....going forward all posts must be positive in nature without question or caveat.

I think I’m clear....nothing but rainbows and unicorns from here on.

*Notifying all Swarm members.....the above is our new forum posting policy....any deviation will incur severe consequences*

Man I’m glad you are here to keep order.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
First of all, @Animal02 , I think we disagree in that I'm more "wait and see" while you seem to be "won't see."

Still, it is kind of funny seeing some of the nattering nabobs of negativism from the CPJ era getting so triggered and whining about you.

...instead, he traded off home games to sell more tickets to opponents.

The bad optics of having a home game that is 30-50% opponents does no harm? Seriously?

We already have those optics at BDS. Again, this is not a new development.

I think that this will be point to watch. If we are currently struggling to keep a fan advantage at Bobby Dodd, what will happen when we add 20,000 seats.

I think it could be a big win for us, but I think it's foolish to not be willing to admit the risks.

What happens if we only win 5 games this year, get blown out by georgie and ND returns to the playoffs or close? I hope that doesn't happen, but we're in the first year of a major transition.

Would it be a recruiting positive for us to get whooped before a primarily ND crowd on a national stage as our "home" game?

I'm in the wait and see camp, and I think this deal is a bold move with a potentially big payoff. However, I think it's riskier than many in this thread seem to recognize.

I would be happier if we didn't have to trade a home game for the chic fil a invite. No one else ever has, or will imo.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Then you think there is no home field advantage?
Negligible

Not the same as if on campus.

Let there be no doubt that I will be there, assuming I am physically capable, yelling for GT.

Just not riding the hype meter to the max. Product on the field is stirs the "juice" in the stands and in the air.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

The schedule is tough already. Two p5 OOC opponents is enough. That's "big boy" football.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it's controversial. Here's a summary of what TStan actually said ...
  • Tech has to make sure that it is visible at the epicenter of College Football and that epicenter is Atlanta, GA. So part of the thinking is that Tech must revitalize its connection with the city of Atlanta.
  • BDS is a special place in one of the top college football venues in the country. But, frankly ... with the use of MBS, Tech has the opportunity to offer amenities to fans that we cannot deliver today. Moreover, there is a waiting list for premium areas/suites at BDS and we'll be able to accommodate those fans who want that game day experience.
  • From Tech's perspective, the Tennessee game (CFA) was a huge success and we want to continue to offer that type of experience for fans and players.
Simple. It's fun. It's exciting. It keeps Tech visible.

I've seen the UT game, the AL-UGA national championship game and the AL-UGA SEC championship game at MBS. I'm super excited that Tech will be playing there. And if there's a waiting list for suites ... that's a good thing for us.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I would be happier if we didn't have to trade a home game for the chic fil a invite. No one else ever has, or will imo.

According to the story from Ken, the CFA game with Clemson will be structured differently than any before. GT will receive the bulk of the tickets(as a home team) instead of the close to half of available that is the norm for neutral site games. I still haven't seen and still hope that GT will control the audio/visual presentations at the game(as a home game). From what I have seen at this point, it appears that it will be a CFA game from branding and television, but the teams will be treated as if they are home and visitor instead of the typical CFA arrangement.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Ok. So NOW What are people’s thoughts in the fact that we hold approx 57000 seats of tix to the Clemson game and 61,000 to ND and the other games?

What if we were selling the prime time seats behind ND’s bench for $400-500? And the boxes of 10 seats for $10,000. Where my math people at? The article said what we typically make. Pretty sure this is a NO BRAINER financially.

But we can’t do that because we are lil GT. And we had a lousy crowd at HC last year so how can things be better in the future?

We need to decrease GF to 21,000 seats so we can say we sell out our stadium because we can never try and be better.

It is not smart to think we can get any better players on D than transfers from wofford, or steal recruits from Troy. We can’t do that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But we can’t do that because we are lil GT. And we had a lousy crowd at HC last year so how can things be better in the future?

We need to decrease GF to 21,000 seats so we can say we sell out our stadium because we can never try and be better.

It is not smart to think we can get any better players on D than transfers from wofford, or steal recruits from Troy. We can’t do that.

Fans will come to BDS. They'll come to Tech for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up Bobby Dodd Way, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the gate as innocent as children, longing for the past.

"Of course, we won't mind if you look around," TStan will say. "It's only forty-five dollars per person." They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and peace they lack.

And they'll walk out to the stands, and sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect Fall afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were students and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

Hot dogs for a dime. A soda for a nickel. Al Ciraldo calling the play.

This is what folks long for. A time long past ... when Toe met Leather.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Fans will come to BDS. They'll come to Tech for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up Bobby Dodd Way, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the gate as innocent as children, longing for the past.

"Of course, we won't mind if you look around," TStan will say. "It's only forty-five dollars per person." They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and peace they lack.

And they'll walk out to the stands, and sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect Fall afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were students and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

I think this is what people are missing about why some are not in favor or at least are apprehensive about it.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I would be shocked if you did not see the following matchup as Monday Night Chic-fil-a Kickoff game! 2023: Georgia Tech vs Louisville

For 2021... My money is on Georgia Tech vs Virginia Tech, not sure how that will play out!!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Mass email this to everyone in your company, family, church, bar, trivia night team etc. Is it Gameday yet??

Animal02

Banned
First of all, @Animal02 , I think we disagree in that I'm more "wait and see" while you seem to be "won't see."

Still, it is kind of funny seeing some of the nattering nabobs of negativism from the CPJ era getting so triggered and whining about you.

I think that this will be point to watch. If we are currently struggling to keep a fan advantage at Bobby Dodd, what will happen when we add 20,000 seats.

I think it could be a big win for us, but I think it's foolish to not be willing to admit the risks.

What happens if we only win 5 games this year, get blown out by georgie and ND returns to the playoffs or close? I hope that doesn't happen, but we're in the first year of a major transition.

Would it be a recruiting positive for us to get whooped before a primarily ND crowd on a national stage as our "home" game?

I'm in the wait and see camp, and I think this deal is a bold move with a potentially big payoff. However, I think it's riskier than many in this thread seem to recognize.

I am still a wait and see.....however, I look at all the possible outcomes. I see a lot of potential pitfalls that do not appear to be thought through. People will remember the gaffs far more than the good. Also, it is easier to keep existing customers than it is to replace them with new ones. Sure the ND game will sell out....odds are it will not be a home crowd. I think the off year games are the big peril. How many times has BDS sold out for big conference games? How many times in the ACC have teams been picked to win / compete and completely fall flat? So the team is selected based on the previous year, and they pull a GT '15? As I posted earlier....this could have been a serious win win had they scrapped the FCS game and replaced it with a Marquee matchup....I live in Detroit......the announcement is a nothing burger outside of the local area.