Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

Animal02

Banned
Exactly! This is the point. More exposure.
More revenue. Partnering with ATL and making GT a national football brand.
ND and Clemp games would have the equivalent exposure already. The other games are not going to increase exposure to any degree. GT has been partnered with ATL since 1866. GT is already a national and international brand.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Said something similar in a previous post.......plays like that become part of the history and fabric of the stadium..and NFL stadium as a 25 year shelf life.....at best.

I agree that it’s better at BDS, but I think we all remember JT5 breaking both ankles of the Miss. St. player for a TD in the Orange Bowl. Beating ND in MBS will be a huge deal and every Tech fan will be sure to bring it up in future meeting with ND. We just need to show up and win some of these games for it to be a successful deal.

Difference being it was a bowl game.

So a nationally televised game, at night, on ESPN, against a marquee opponent, in a NFL stadium?

That kinda sounds like one game on our schedule for the next five years starting in 2020.
It may be a marquee game to Tech fans......for the rest of the country it will be MEH.......especially if the season goes as so many have predicted.
Adding the previous stuff for context. You said NFL stadiums have a shelf life so plays won’t be remembered as fondly because the shelf life is 25 years. I agreed that memorable plays are better in BDS, but brought up the JT play because it was in an NFL stadium and we remember that, but your counter was it was only remembered because that was a bowl game. I gave similarities of a bowl game to our upcoming MBS games to show why those games can have plays that we remember. Now I guess plays from those games can’t be remembered because they are only marquee to GT?

If that’s the case then we need to take 2015 vs FSU off the list of special games because it was only marquee to Tech fans before it started and the rest of the country was MEH. Once again, I 100% agree that the FSU game was definitely better in BDS, but had it happened in MBS, do you really think it still wouldn’t be a special game to GT fans?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
... but would you want to walk back at 11PM?

I wouldn't want to walk to there or from there. I was just pointing out to someone who said it wasn't really a home game that it was very, very close to GT. The distance is very small, however one wants to get there. That was the gist of it.

Animal02

Banned
Adding the previous stuff for context. You said NFL stadiums have a shelf life so plays won’t be remembered as fondly because the shelf life is 25 years. I agreed that memorable plays are better in BDS, but brought up the JT play because it was in an NFL stadium and we remember that, but your counter was it was only remembered because that was a bowl game. I gave similarities of a bowl game to our upcoming MBS games to show why those games can have plays that we remember. Now I guess plays from those games can’t be remembered because they are only marquee to GT?

If that’s the case then we need to take 2015 vs FSU off the list of special games because it was only marquee to Tech fans before it started and the rest of the country was MEH. Once again, I 100% agree that the FSU game was definitely better in BDS, but had it happened in MBS, do you really think it still wouldn’t be a special game to GT fans?
Doubt it would have happened outside of BDS.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Doubt it would have happened outside of BDS.
Not even the point and classic deflection of the question. If something special happens in the MBS games, fans will remember it. Regardless that it’s not a bowl game. Regardless that it’s in an NFL stadium. Regardless that it is only marquee to Tech fans.

And just so it’s not lost on anyone, I think the games would be better in BDS, but acknowledge that playing these games in MBS gives us unique advantages in recruiting high school kids and revenue that BDS doesn’t offer.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
So... I got an email but it doesn't explain how seating will work in detail. Sounds like we will have to pay extra for this "home" game

This is going to be the tricky part. GT ticket holders will get the "option" for premier seating, club, and suites. I will be unhappy if I get a corner and have been enjoying BDS, lower West for many, many years. Are MBS single game ticket prices higher than BDS? Should I pay extra? Tech needs to get this right!

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
No, but after all the recruits signed.

I have no reason to make this up, it was an actual quote in an article. Of course the details weren't finalized but they knew about 5 games in 5 years before signing day. Choose to believe it or not.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Not even the point and classic deflection of the question. If something special happens in the MBS games, fans will remember it. Regardless that it’s not a bowl game. Regardless that it’s in an NFL stadium. Regardless that it is only marquee to Tech fans.

And just so it’s not lost on anyone, I think the games would be better in BDS, but acknowledge that playing these games in MBS gives us unique advantages in recruiting high school kids and revenue that BDS doesn’t offer.

All uGag fans over there wondering when they’re going to forget about 2nd and 26.

Never.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just a guess, but with the premium seating I bet the theory is that we'll pull around $100 a seat for 15k extra seats. That's $1.5 million. Subtract rent, etc (but we'll also save on the our costs of prepping and cleaning and staffing BDS, the cops around campus, etc) and I'm guessing they're banking on $500k minimum profit. $500k is probably not worth moving the game for alone, but if that is worst case and they're also banking on creating some buzz for the program... it's not a bad plan.

giphy.gif

herb

Helluva Engineer
This is going to be the tricky part. GT ticket holders will get the "option" for premier seating, club, and suites. I will be unhappy if I get a corner and have been enjoying BDS, lower West for many, many years. Are MBS single game ticket prices higher than BDS? Should I pay extra? Tech needs to get this right!

So, does anyone have any idea how this will work?

Animal02

Banned

IMO the recruiting aspect is hyperventilating overblown.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
ND and Clemp games would have the equivalent exposure already. The other games are not going to increase exposure to any degree. GT has been partnered with ATL since 1866. GT is already a national and international brand.

GT is a national/international brand, but has become an afterthought in the local sports landscape. It is not a pleasant fact, but a true one. Thus, the efforts to change that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So the 2022 Clemson game will be a neutral site game. Have they said whether the other games "hosted" by GT will be treated as home games with GT in control or neutral games?

Yes, this means we gave up one of our largest home games. If in 3 years we'd do the same with what would be Clemson's home game, I'd feel a bit better. However that is not the case.