Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, this means we gave up one of our largest home games. If in 3 years we'd do the same with what would be Clemson's home game, I'd feel a bit better. However that is not the case.

I am still a little confused from the announcement and Q&A. Apparently even in the Clemson CFA game, GT will have control of the seats. I haven't heard if GT will have control of the PA and video boards. I also haven't heard of ND or Clemson will be getting anything from the games. If they are "home" games in which GT gets: control of seats, control of PA/Video board, and doesn't share revenue with the other team: then this isn't too negative.

GT_EE78

Banned
I walked back and forth to the GA Dome multiple times during my time at Tech. It’s doable and as safe as downtown Atlanta can be. It helps when there is an event going on, especially one Tech is participating in because people are out in all areas between the two locations.
what years ? don't think i would have in the seventies ....

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I am still a little confused from the announcement and Q&A. Apparently even in the Clemson CFA game, GT will have control of the seats. I haven't heard if GT will have control of the PA and video boards. I also haven't heard of ND or Clemson will be getting anything from the games. If they are "home" games in which GT gets: control of seats, control of PA/Video board, and doesn't share revenue with the other team: then this isn't too negative.
From what I understand, the four games outside of 2022 are home games and we control tickets. The way it was worded for the CFA kickoff game, I got the impression that we would have better options and more seating than when we played against Tennessee but not complete control like the other four.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I walked back and forth to the GA Dome multiple times during my time at Tech. It’s doable and as safe as downtown Atlanta can be. It helps when there is an event going on, especially one Tech is participating in because people are out in all areas between the two locations.

They had police watching the Centennial Olympic Park Drive path from MBS to campus for the Tenn. game. That path is much much better than it used to be. However, there is still a homeless shelter, a bridge under which a lot of homeless people sleep, and the back side of America's Mart along that patch. I wouldn't recommend that students walk that path alone at midnight very often.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand, the four games outside of 2022 are home games and we control tickets. The way it was worded for the CFA kickoff game, I got the impression that we would have better options and more seating than when we played against Tennessee but not complete control like the other four.

What about PA and video boards for any of the games? In my opinion, it won't be a home game without: Whistle on first down/no recognition of opponent first down, "It's Thirrrrd down" and make noise video board on opponent third downs, etc...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Does the mean $40 to $120+ parking fees? "Georgia Tech fans will have access to the majority of Mercedes-Benz Stadium-controlled parking lots for the 2020-24 games..."

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
What about PA and video boards for any of the games? In my opinion, it won't be a home game without: Whistle on first down/no recognition of opponent first down, "It's Thirrrrd down" and make noise video board on opponent third downs, etc...
I haven’t seen anywhere say specifically that we will control all in game aspects but, to me, that seems implied by it being a GT home game. Haven’t seen anywhere say we don’t control those things, and I agree that it won’t feel like a home game if we don’t get that control.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Someone may have mentioned it in this thread, but I didn’t go through all the pages. Prior to the Tennessee game, someone on this board had the excellent suggestion of letting people tailgate around the Tech campus in the normal places they currently do so at, but then providing a Stinger shuttle from GT to MB. This would be a classic move.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
To those who don't like this move: Are you totally content with the GT brand and product leading up to this point? If not, what is your counter suggestion to this deal? I'm assuming every response will be something we've been telling recruits since 1990. Repeating the same action but expecting different results?

Seriously though, what else would you do that could market Tech better than this and make money as opposed to cost money?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My understanding is we'd get a "home team" share to sell, which would be ??? greater than 50% of the seats. Inference being fewer end zone corner seats, etc.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Any time we can get into the Chickfila Kickoff game, that is a win. Not only do we get to play a marquee game on national television the first week of the season, but we are effectively preventing other teams from having the same slot. On Labor Day weekend you have Dragoncon and at least one Chickfila kickoff game. Tech is not in a state to compete with those two events.

It sucks to not have Notre Dame at Bobby Dodd, especially considering Gameday was here last time. But it was also an attendance record and there was a lot more demands for seats than those available. Students camped out overnight to get in. I'm not sure if there is that kind of support now, but I suspect enough GT fans will come out to make it at least a 50/50 crowd at MBS.

Bottom line, after having the lowest Homecoming attendance in over 20 years last season, there's a lot of work to be done in turning around the Tech brand. And it requires making new Tech fans.