Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
My understanding is we'd get a "home team" share to sell, which would be ??? greater than 50% of the seats. Inference being fewer end zone corner seats, etc.
If I understand the website we control the seats for the ND and TBD games. We are not in control of the seats for the CFA game because we ceded control of that game to the Peach Bowl (I assume for some amount). However we are supposed to have better seat selection for that game than the Tennessee game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If I understand the website we control the seats for the ND and TBD games. We are not in control of the seats for the CFA game because we ceded control of that game to the Peach Bowl (I assume for some amount). However we are supposed to have better seat selection for that game than the Tennessee game.
That's what I understand it as too.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Someone may have mentioned it in this thread, but I didn’t go through all the pages. Prior to the Tennessee game, someone on this board had the excellent suggestion of letting people tailgate around the Tech campus in the normal places they currently do so at, but then providing a Stinger shuttle from GT to MB. This would be a classic move.
Great idea. Probably means it wont happen

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Any time we can get into the Chickfila Kickoff game, that is a win. Not only do we get to play a marquee game on national television the first week of the season, but we are effectively preventing other teams from having the same slot. On Labor Day weekend you have Dragoncon and at least one Chickfila kickoff game. Tech is not in a state to compete with those two events.
Agree, but why doesn't the Chick fil a game get us a big OOC game like they did for the Tennessee game. All the other participants (including UGA) are invited. It appears we basically had to buy our way in.

GT_EE78

Banned
It’s about a 15 minute walk from campus to Stats, roughly the halfway point. I recommend carrying a disposable flask to Stats, have couple of beers, then make the rest of the trek to MBS. That’s a very safe plan.
i like your thoughts, flasks have have always been a good idea.

The InstAtute

Georgia Tech Fan
Every team in the Southeast wants to play in MBS. We now have the opportunity to play 5 games in MBS with 3 games against teams that made this years CFB playoff. We need our fans to show up and claim our hone field territory which is all of Atlanta. IMO players and recruits love this idea.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, ND agreed to play consecutive GT games in ATL because this is good for GT?

Contrary to those who just look at the map and measure the difference in miles, Home field advantage includes dominating the noise in the stadium. In the past, we've not agreed to give that up to give other schools a Home and Neutral deal.

With that being said, we're living in the era of bilateral meetings with NK. New ideas may work. We'll see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Money, money, money, mooooneeey .................. mooooneeey

The OJAYS
Who cares about money!!!

If every one of the approx 200, 000 living gt alums could give 1,000 , we would have no gtaa debt.

Our total revenue is 9,000,000 more than the 78,000,000 in Ticket Sales for the university of Texas.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I may have missed it, but other than an "ahem" from Stansbury, how much money does MBS pay Tech to play? Is it $1 or $50M? Anyone know what the payout was for the Tech vs UT game?

I agree this is thinking outside the box. If it really does help recruiting my personal opinion does not matter much. And I am fine with that.

My bet is that the uniqueness of recruiting to play in an NFL stadium wears off quickly. So 5 years should be the maximum, unless in 2024 it appears this is the branding approach of the 21st century. And my opinion is proven totally wrong.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I may have missed it, but other than an "ahem" from Stansbury, how much money does MBS pay Tech to play? Is it $1 or $50M? Anyone know what the payout was for the Tech vs UT game?

I agree this is thinking outside the box. If it really does help recruiting my personal opinion does not matter much. And I am fine with that.

My bet is that the uniqueness of recruiting to play in an NFL stadium wears off quickly. So 5 years should be the maximum, unless in 2024 it appears this is the branding approach of the 21st century. And my opinion is proven totally wrong.
I believe we are renting the stadium for 4 of the games and then we get a payout for the Chick fil a game vs Clemson

Animal02

Banned

This coming season Bama is getting 4.5 mil to beat up on Duke, which gets 2 mi. So that is what the market is paying.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC will easily be able to market the benefits of this deal. In the end this is all about selling a marquee home game for extra money.

Looking at 2021 and 2023, what acc games could we schedule there to bring in extra revenue by getting more away fans and/or locals to the game? If CGC has us in or near the top 25 every year, Tech fans and away fans should fill MBS, so let’s assume we stay in the 6-8 win range during this time
TStan said the TBD years will be ACC games.

Here are the candidates for the games in the TBD years:
  • 2021: Boston College, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
  • 2023: Louisville, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
Make of that what you will.

My opinion: These games will not generate much interest outside of the two fanbases and maybe ACC fans, unless drastic strides are made at the involved programs. Perhaps good for recruiting, however.

None of these teams would fill BDS if these games were played there, regardless of how well CGC is doing. The game would be a regional, interconference game played at a pro stadium with no national significance. Why not leverage playing the game at MBS into getting a a home and 'home' setup with either an old SEC rival or a team with national significance, e.g. Ohio State, Michigan, or Texas. Game should sell out and get a prime tv time slot and channel.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I think TStan's response to the question about georgie games was interesting. He said that he felt it was important that that series always be home and home.

Iow, he's admitting that he's really giving up a home game to play in Mercedes Benz.

Also, just from a rhetorical perspective, it seems like we may be giving up a home game for the chick fil a game v Climpsin. That's not a good look.

Still, again, if it pays off in money and recruiting, win!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think TStan's response to the question about georgie games was interesting. He said that he felt it was important that that series always be home and home.

Iow, he's admitting that he's really giving up a home game to play in Mercedes Benz.

Also, just from a rhetorical perspective, it seems like we may be giving up a home game for the chick fil a game v Climpsin. That's not a good look.

Still, again, if it pays off in money and recruiting, win!
Any ideas how we get more revenue to pay down the 220,000,000 debt? Yea the acc network is coming but we are dead last in acc in revenue and at top in debt. But do get left by the rest of acc jf they pay down thier much lower debt. What if banks demand higher interest?

My 40 years of owning businesses tells tstan has a fear the debt spiral could reach critical state. One thing for sure - he ain't an mbob rearranging deck
chairs.