Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
TStan said the TBD years will be ACC games.

Here are the candidates for the games in the TBD years:
  • 2021: Boston College, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
  • 2023: Louisville, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
Make of that what you will.

My opinion: These games will not generate much interest outside of the two fanbases and maybe ACC fans, unless drastic strides are made at the involved programs. Perhaps good for recruiting, however.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
TStan said the TBD years will be ACC games.

Here are the candidates for the games in the TBD years:
  • 2021: Boston College, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
  • 2023: Louisville, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
Make of that what you will.

My opinion: These games will not generate much interest outside of the two fanbases and maybe ACC fans, unless drastic strides are made at the involved programs. Perhaps good for recruiting, however.

Agreed. Clemson and ND will sellout easily. These years will be a challenge unless at least one of the teams is ranked in Top 10 or coming off a big season.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s all about money and recruiting. Maybe if we made BDS a better environment as fans the AD wouldn’t have felt he needed to make this move.
That's true, Steam. And if we have a better on field product, we will have great turnouts for big games. See FSU 15. Not even close to 50/50, and we were like 2-5 at the time, but we were coming off of a season where we won a lot. Winning puts butts in seats over everything.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
How much money can this realistically make? Maybe we pull in an extra $500-750k on ticket sales and rent MBS and their 1k+ staff members for $300-500k? Running a professional stadium for a day is not a cheap day (prep, day of operations, clean up).

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
How much money can this realistically make? Maybe we pull in an extra $500-750k on ticket sales and rent MBS and their 1k+ staff members for $300-500k? Running a professional stadium for a day is not a cheap day (prep, day of operations, clean up).
Just a guess, but with the premium seating I bet the theory is that we'll pull around $100 a seat for 15k extra seats. That's $1.5 million. Subtract rent, etc (but we'll also save on the our costs of prepping and cleaning and staffing BDS, the cops around campus, etc) and I'm guessing they're banking on $500k minimum profit. $500k is probably not worth moving the game for alone, but if that is worst case and they're also banking on creating some buzz for the program... it's not a bad plan.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
If the GTAA were smart, for the 2 years where it is TBD for games at MBS they would make it like a UNC or somebody like that just to reinforce not every big game is going to be played at MBS.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If the GTAA were smart, for the 2 years where it is TBD for games at MBS they would make it like a UNC or somebody like that just to reinforce not every big game is going to be played at MBS.
And pay $500k in rent for a stadium with an empty upper deck? Pass. There's no turning back here - GTAA is selling out (no pun intended) our most popular home games to sell an extra 15k tickets.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna straight up predict it right here so I can gloat/eat crow in a couple years.

In January 2021, GTAA will announce the Georgia Tech/UGA game will be held at MBS. We'll make a boatload of money off it but it will definitely piss off our fans.

Animal02

Banned
Just a guess, but with the premium seating I bet the theory is that we'll pull around $100 a seat for 15k extra seats. That's $1.5 million. Subtract rent, etc (but we'll also save on the our costs of prepping and cleaning and staffing BDS, the cops around campus, etc) and I'm guessing they're banking on $500k minimum profit. $500k is probably not worth moving the game for alone, but if that is worst case and they're also banking on creating some buzz for the program... it's not a bad plan.
I saw something regarding STH getting first choice....will they have to pay more for their equivalent seats? If so, I can imagine it will piss off a lot of people.