Official GT announcement, OC and DC

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Coach Pat (I just made that up on the fly) can steal CPJ's goal line package and incorporate it into our new O.

Our kids certainly know how to run it.

"Coach Pat" has been called a "copycat" OC (but they all are, to some extent). I wonder if he'll incorporate some version of Paul Johnson's plays. I would like to see a few derivatives implemented from time to time.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think changing the DC is a D*** move, to towards the current DC... Nate Woody didn't even have time to get his first kid into place. All I can say is, this new DC better be lights out. We just tossed a really good one out.

lmao? Woody runs a completely different system than what our new HC wants. That's not a d*** move in the slightest.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"Coach Pat" has been called a "copycat" OC (but they all are, to some extent). I wonder if he'll incorporate some version of Paul Johnson's plays. I would like to see a few derivatives implemented from time to time.
Is it possible to run those old plays without months of continuous practice by the same people ? We sure didn't shift into different offenses in the past. Had hoped we would sub more than AB to run them.

I like your idea and say it's a good idea. Make them prepare for all kinds of packages.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You can make quite a career out of stealing good ideas from other people. I’m living proof of that.

That and not falling in love with your own ideas is good career advice for youngsters.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible to run those old plays without months of continuous practice by the same people ? We sure didn't shift into different offenses in the past. Had hoped we would sub more than AB to run them.

I like your idea and say it's a good idea. Make them prepare for all kinds of packages.

Maybe just a few plays. Throw them a few wrinkles to keep them guessing. Everybody runs a little option from time to time anyways, but Paul was a real master at it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Me, too. QB sneak. End of problem.
I'm with you here...even if our base set is out of the shotgun, we should have a short yardage package that puts the QB under center and consists of more than just sneaks and middle runs. I can't stand watching an offense just give up 5 yards on short yardage plays because they can't take an under-center snap. It's just embarrassing.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm with you here...even if our base set is out of the shotgun, we should have a short yardage package that puts the QB under center and consists of more than just sneaks and middle runs. I can't stand watching an offense just give up 5 yards on short yardage plays because they can't take an under-center snap. It's just embarrassing.

Texas's "Victory" formation was also in the shotgun! Thought that was strange, but if you never go under center, it is probably safer...

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Texas's "Victory" formation was also in the shotgun! Thought that was strange, but if you never go under center, it is probably safer...

A decent number of teams do that because as you note, theyre used to it. Some teams also do it to keep their qb safe. See the giants-bucs game from a few years ago when manning was taking a knee and schiano ordered his D to fly in there and hit manning to try to get him to fumble. It caused a scuffle and a post game fracas

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You can make quite a career out of stealing good ideas from other people. I’m living proof of that.

That and not falling in love with your own ideas is good career advice for youngsters.

Andy Reid,Sean McVay, Sean Payton, Bill Bellichek....the list goes on and on. All considered great coaches, but none of their schemes or concepts are original. They just chose to borrow sound schemes and incorporate them while the rest of the league is still stuck in the past which makes them "innovators" on the NFL level.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Andy Reid,Sean McVay, Sean Payton, Bill Bellichek....the list goes on and on. All considered great coaches, but none of their schemes or concepts are original. They just chose to borrow sound schemes and incorporate them while the rest of the league is still stuck in the past which makes them "innovators" on the NFL level.

There is nothing new under the sun. Until there is. That one highschool offense that had massive gaps and essentially played off of keeping who is eligible really confusing was probably new.

Obviously, I favor a flying wedge formation.

Things that are new and work usually get killed by rules committees with varying degrees of validity, as well.

slugboy

Staff member
A couple of years ago, Chris Brown of Smart Football profiled Pete Caroll’s 4-3 defense in Seattle. Unless you knew what to look for , the innovations were invisible.

It was in Grantland (and it’s still up): http://grantland.com/features/whos-laughing-now/

If you don’t know 2-gap from 1-gap, there are nice pictures. The cool thing is that he mixes the techniques with the same front 7 at the same time (or he did).

There’s room to innovate on offense or defense in a 4-3 or a single back RPO with a slot. One question is how many people in the stands can see it when it’s happening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of years ago, Chris Brown of Smart Football profiled Pete Caroll’s 4-3 defense in Seattle. Unless you knew what to look for , the innovations were invisible.

It was in Grantland (and it’s still up): http://grantland.com/features/whos-laughing-now/

If you don’t know 2-gap from 1-gap, there are nice pictures. The cool thing is that he mixes the techniques with the same front 7 at the same time (or he did).

There’s room to innovate on offense or defense in a 4-3 or a single back RPO with a slot. One question is how many people in the stands can see it when it’s happening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This article is excellent. Thanks for passing it along.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Pat runs a spread. It has multiple formations and can either be run first or pass oriented. It works well with what is already at GT.