Offensive Gameplan

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, where is the strength? We did option, screens, short passes, long passes, rollouts, bootlegs nothing was consistently effective
I'm curious b/c I haven't watched as closely as I have in previous years. With that being said, we don't seem to be running nearly as many misdirection/counter plays in the run game. In theory, that should help the Online. Any idea why not?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Game plan needs to include better 3rd down conversion rates. Yesterday Tech was 2-for-14 on third-down conversions after going 3-for-9 against The Citadel.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
sport-football-basics-sports-football_coach-american_football-ear0424_low.jpg

sport-coach-team_coach-team_talk-sports_fan-american_football-pha0994_low.jpg

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
3 down
JG snaps the ball and rolls the pocket.
TE Davis is open at the sticks.
JG throws a rocket to Davis that bounces off his hand. 4 down and punt.

The play was there. The execution wasn’t. Is that on the coach or players?

GTFLETCH

Banned
3 down
JG snaps the ball and rolls the pocket.
TE Davis is open at the sticks.
JG throws a rocket to Davis that bounces off his hand. 4 down and punt.

The play was there. The execution wasn’t. Is that on the coach or players?
Coaches.... As they have chosen not to pick a QB and give the Reps to that 1 person.... and Players.... as you have to catch the ball.... to be fair we were always going to have drops...look at J. Howard drops.... TE Davis played for a bad UNCONN program....

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m with @Ibeeballin (I’m noticing how I consistently agreeing with the people that actually played D1 football) the gameplay was fine. TO had the team moving the ball down the field. Execution & TURNOVERS is what killed drives. Two fumbles in red zone kills drives. One recovered for a TD. Two turnovers on downs on easy pass and catch plays is what kills drives. The game plan was fine.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the coaches doing this dumb qb carousal from day one vs simply grabbing a guy who most fit what they wanted to do (graham it appears) and giving him tons of reps and starting from day one has set the offense back in its progression a full year. At least a half a year.

Now. No. This doesnt help the OL. But you would be blind to tell me we at least didn’t start seeing some resemblance of an offense that made sense with graham playing a whole half.

Yes. He will make freshman mistakes. Probably we are still 1-3. Maybe 2-2. Maybe 0-4. But the use of him at least is showing something coherent on O.

I am trying to figure out the mindset of the staff this year.

- is it, i dont want to commit to any one qb cuz i dont like them all and dont want to deal with answering benching a starting qb next year for the guy i do like

- is it i dont want to lose the lockerroom early by benching elder guys in favor of freshman. This is not only qb but starting guys like curry who are playing at a fcs level

- is it we all need hugs and pt

- is it the more i play anyone that can breathe oxygen the more i can sell pt to recruits

But nothing makes sense to me. Nothing. Its almost like collins sees the roster. Sees the O is dogcrap with body types and talent. And is using this season as whatever. More i think about it. We may literally start 5 freshman and soph on the ol next save maybe quinney. Who knows.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think the coaches doing this dumb qb carousal from day one vs simply grabbing a guy who most fit what they wanted to do (graham it appears) and giving him tons of reps and starting from day one has set the offense back in its progression a full year. At least a half a year.

Now. No. This doesnt help the OL. But you would be blind to tell me we at least didn’t start seeing some resemblance of an offense that made sense with graham playing a whole half.

Yes. He will make freshman mistakes. Probably we are still 1-3. Maybe 2-2. Maybe 0-4. But the use of him at least is showing something coherent on O.

I am trying to figure out the mindset of the staff this year.

- is it, i dont want to commit to any one qb cuz i dont like them all and dont want to deal with answering benching a starting qb next year for the guy i do like

- is it i dont want to lose the lockerroom early by benching elder guys in favor of freshman. This is not only qb but starting guys like curry who are playing at a fcs level

- is it we all need hugs and pt

- is it the more i play anyone that can breathe oxygen the more i can sell pt to recruits

But nothing makes sense to me. Nothing. Its almost like collins sees the roster. Sees the O is dogcrap with body types and talent. And is using this season as whatever. More i think about it. We may literally start 5 freshman and soph on the ol next save maybe quinney. Who knows.
I'm with you I'm still trying to figure out the mindset of this coaching staff. I hope they know

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Puzzling to say the least. My Fear:
Low attendance the rest of the year
Low season ticket sales
Fans losing interest
Mass transfers
Recruits lose interest
The whole thing becomes a snow ball or an avalanche that sinks the entire program.

What game plan?
all of this was obvious last year.
I stopped coming to games
I canceled my season tickets
I lost interest
I stopped donating
It started when we had a really good coach and the basketball AD and the fans did not give him the resources he needed to succeed.

Now we are starting a grand experiment. Dabo 2.0 Doing the excitement thing. But his hires don't compare to Dabo.

We are probably just going to end up with the clown part. The OC is already in full clown mode.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
People are wondering why we weren't playing an offense that would work better for our OL and QB situation. But shouldn't we just keep playing the scheme we want to eventually be good at so that the younger players get more reps and experience so that later this year and in the coming years they're playing better and have the experience to help the new freshmen learn?

Aren't people making the same argument in saying JG should have had more reps so it's on the coach that he's making silly mistakes?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What game plan?
all of this was obvious last year.
I stopped coming to games
I canceled my season tickets
I lost interest
I stopped donating
It started when we had a really good coach and the basketball AD and the fans did not give him the resources he needed to succeed.

Now we are starting a grand experiment. Dabo 2.0 Doing the excitement thing. But his hires don't compare to Dabo.

We are probably just going to end up with the clown part. The OC is already in full clown mode.

Dabo was still winning 8 plus games a year

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
People are wondering why we weren't playing an offense that would work better for our OL and QB situation. But shouldn't we just keep playing the scheme we want to eventually be good at so that the younger players get more reps and experience so that later this year and in the coming years they're playing better and have the experience to help the new freshmen learn?

Those people want us to play the offense we are transitioning away from.