Offensive Gameplan

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Very good write up. Everything in this article is what I think we should be trying to do, with Tobias or Graham at QB.
Exactly! Everyone of those clips immediately thought of Graham, TO and Mason. No reason we should be forcing a downfield passing game when LJ can hit one and the Oline can’t pass block.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly! Everyone of those clips immediately thought of Graham, TO and Mason. No reason we should be forcing a downfield passing game when LJ can hit one and the Oline can’t pass block.

Agreed. I’d also like to emphasize that I think this is what we should be trying to do. Our blocking is a real problem. Like you said, pass blocking has been bad. Unfortunately, run blocking hasn’t been very good either from what I’ve watched. I thought that would be a bigger strength this year. We really need guys like Oliver and Graham in there who are more likely to make something out of nothing with their feet.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Ok. Had to leave this here. It's hard on this board because you have to make sure you put it with the right topic or you get censored.

Watching the much bitched-about overtime possession- 1st play, DeFoor was obviously supposed to be the lead blocker for Oliver who was following him up in the hole, but stopped for some reason and Oliver ran into his back. Could have been a wide open big gain. 2nd play, the DL for Citadel did a great job and crashed HARD, and tackled Oliver and Mason at the same time. Oliver should have pulled earlier and just ran with it. The play was designed for him. 3rd play, instant pressure and chaos. Guys, the OL **** the bed in overtime. Is this on Brent Key? I don't think so. These guys are facing live bullets in a system they weren't recruited or coached to play in right now.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ok. Had to leave this here. It's hard on this board because you have to make sure you put it with the right topic or you get censored.

Watching the much bitched-about overtime possession- 1st play, DeFoor was obviously supposed to be the lead blocker for Oliver who was following him up in the hole, but stopped for some reason and Oliver ran into his back. Could have been a wide open big gain. 2nd play, the DL for Citadel did a great job and crashed HARD, and tackled Oliver and Mason at the same time. Oliver should have pulled earlier and just ran with it. The play was designed for him. 3rd play, instant pressure and chaos. Guys, the OL **** the bed in overtime. Is this on Brent Key? I don't think so. These guys are facing live bullets in a system they weren't recruited or coached to play in right now.

THAT'S why you pay Key a ton to turn lemons into lemonade.Anybody can do the job ,he's doing.Really how much worse can the Off be? we are 126 of 130,I believe.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

That wasn't the Clemson D they were facing.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I don't understand. The major goals of this staff are to
1. Run an NFL offense and defense
2. Improve recruiting

It has also been said that CDP will run different types of offense that fits the players we have.

There is also a strong following here that insists we don't have the players (or any D1 talent) on this team currently to run what we are ultimately transitioning to.

In order to run the "NFL offense" effectively, we would need to recruit at least top25 recruiting ranking classes.

This leads me to wonder how recruiting will fair with back to back aweful losing seasons. The excuse I'm hearing for the offense not working is because the O-line can't block and the quarterback can't throw. Or there aren't D1 level athletes, or they don't fit what we are trying to run.

If our coaches truly believe this and see it this way, doesn't it then make sense to run something they are good at? This will ultimately only help recruiting and make goal 2. listed above more attainable.

It doesn't make sense to me if the coaching staff believes these players can't run what they are trying to currently run, then why not do something can can run? This also contradicts CGC and CDP's strategy to run offense and defense to the strength of the players.

And before anyone blows a gasket, I'm not saying we run 3O. Just run something that this O-Line and QB's can run.

Once you get the type of players into the program that you feel can run the "NFL offense" do it then.

In the meantime, it feels like we are running something we know the team cannot, and I don't see any advantage of doing that. If all of these linemen and QB's are going to get beat out by all the great new recruits Mr. Waffle House is bringing in, then it doesn't matter what we run now. Might as well win some games this season and next, and help to pitch your recruiting better. Going 1-11 surely will not help get a top 25 class.

Btw, none of our current O-line recruitss are rated significantly higher and or have many more p5 rankings than any we have gotten with the previous coaching staff. I believe it was coach Brent Key who said something along the lines of it being way easier to recruit at Georgia Tech then at Alabama.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
2. Improve recruiting

It has also been said that CDP will run different types of offense that fits the players we have.

There is also a strong following here that insists we don't have the players (or any D1 talent) on this team currently to run what we are ultimately transitioning to.

In order to run the "NFL offense" effectively, we would need to recruit at least top25 recruiting ranking classes.

This leads me to wonder how recruiting will fair with back to back aweful losing seasons. The excuse I'm hearing for the offense not working is because the O-line can't block and the quarterback can't throw. Or there aren't D1 level athletes, or they don't fit what we are trying to run.

If our coaches truly believe this and see it this way, doesn't it then make sense to run something they are good at? This will ultimately only help recruiting and make goal 2. listed above more attainable.

It doesn't make sense to me if the coaching staff believes these players can't run what they are trying to currently run, then why not do something can can run? This also contradicts CGC and CDP's strategy to run offense and defense to the strength of the players.

And before anyone blows a gasket, I'm not saying we run 3O. Just run something that this O-Line and QB's can run.

Once you get the type of players into the program that you feel can run the "NFL offense" do it then.

In the meantime, it feels like we are running something we know the team cannot, and I don't see any advantage of doing that. If all of these linemen and QB's are going to get beat out by all the great new recruits Mr. Waffle House is bringing in, then it doesn't matter what we run now. Might as well win some games this season and next, and help to pitch your recruiting better. Going 1-11 surely will not help get a top 25 class.

Btw, none of our current O-line recruitss are rated significantly higher and or have many more p5 rankings than any we have gotten with the previous coaching staff. I believe it was coach Brent Key who said something along the lines of it being way easier to recruit at Georgia Tech then at Alabama.
Don't take this personally as I see this point of view stated a bit. The main issue I have with this and, to a lesser extent, the in-game hot takes is this. Can you offer what you think we can run? Then point to all of the plays where we've run that successfully and consistently?

It's way too easy to say in hindsight what hasn't worked, because there are plenty of examples.

We had a good convo going in chat and you know my position. At the end of the day, we have an "ATL" depth chart of QBs without any other P5 offer. We have approx. 3 OL with another P5 offer, one of which is a grad transfer.

Every time I see us run something well, there seems to be enough evidence that it's been inconsistent. I'm just curious what that "run something we're good at is". And I'm not an X's and O's expert, so it could very well exist and I'm not seeing it. Hopefully someone does a film breakdown this week.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Fine what do you run when you can’t block? What offense doesn’t depend on blocking?
Lol our O-line have blocked fairly well in the past. Maybe the current o line coach can't do much unless he has the nation's best players for his unit. I could see us running a variation of guys malzhans stuff with more cut and drive blocking.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Don't take this personally as I see this point of view stated a bit. The main issue I have with this and, to a lesser extent, the in-game hot takes is this. Can you offer what you think we can run? Then point to all of the plays where we've run that successfully and consistently?

It's way too easy to say in hindsight what hasn't worked, because there are plenty of examples.

We had a good convo going in chat and you know my position. At the end of the day, we have an "ATL" depth chart of QBs without any other P5 offer. We have approx. 3 OL with another P5 offer, one of which is a grad transfer.

Every time I see us run something well, there seems to be enough evidence that it's been inconsistent. I'm just curious what that "run something we're good at is". And I'm not an X's and O's expert, so it could very well exist and I'm not seeing it. Hopefully someone does a film breakdown this week.
Yes we did have a good conversation and I wanted to extend it to others who may have better suggestions. But again I think we can do some of what Gus at Auburn has run. I think it could actually fit our players well. They do lots of run plays that setup long passing plays. And we have shown to be effective doing that in the past.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
2. Improve recruiting

CGC check deposited so let me take up for them.

Here goes another ima rant just to rant even though what I’m saying doesn’t match up with what happened in the game

Did you miss the entire 1st half with Tobias at QB? did you miss the keepers and and option, you know playing to our strength? We even attempted NFL concepts. You remember the levels concept where TO threw a good ball to Blancato only for him to drop it? What about the man beater on 4th down where TO threw behind Jerry?

We tried everything but the execution was not there today.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

There are some inconsistencies between your statement of the situation and the current staff's actions that beg some questions. If we don't have talent at QB, why are we taking one QB in this recruiting class? If we are thin on the OL and in dire need of more OL with P5 offers, why did the staff chose not to keep contact with an OL commit that ended up at Louisville, a P5 school?

Additionally, I think you're just wrong about Graham. Was his offer to play at Alabama for QB? No. Were his offers at other P5 schools to play QB? Just like Justin Thomas, yes.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
CGC check deposited so let me take up for them.

Here goes another ima rant just to rant even though what I’m saying doesn’t match up with what happened in the game

Did you miss the entire 1st half with Tobias at QB? did you miss the keepers and and option, you know playing to our strength? We even attempted NFL concepts. You remember the levels concept where TO threw a good ball to Blancato only for him to drop it? What about the man beater on 4th down where TO threw behind Jerry?

We tried everything but the execution was not there today.
I really appreciate what you're doing, but we just got offensively shut out against Temple. Maybe let people ***** for a couple days and then come out with a video/forum post highlighting what concepts we are trying and why they are/aren't working.