Offensive Gameplan

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
CGC check deposited so let me take up for them.

Here goes another ima rant just to rant even though what I’m saying doesn’t match up with what happened in the game

Did you miss the entire 1st half with Tobias at QB? did you miss the keepers and and option, you know playing to our strength? We even attempted NFL concepts. You remember the levels concept where TO threw a good ball to Blancato only for him to drop it? What about the man beater on 4th down where TO threw behind Jerry?

We tried everything but the execution was not there today.
Then that's on poor coaching and asking players to do what they are not good at. I certainly didn't see any gus malzhans style o, did you? I believe this was how Willie Fritz made a successful transition from 3O. Allot of what we have been doing the past decade translates well to that offense. I remember Nick Marshall was not very accurate, yet still had that offense humming. I'm not asking for that level of production, but it would certainly be better than what we are seeing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There are some inconsistencies between your statement of the situation and the current staff's actions that beg some questions. If we don't have talent at QB, why are we taking one QB in this recruiting class? If we are thin on the OL and in dire need of more OL with P5 offers, why did the staff chose not to keep contact with an OL commit that ended up at Louisville, a P5 school.

Additionally, I think you're just wrong about Graham. Was his offer to play at Alabama for QB? No. Were his offers at other P5 schools to play QB? Just like Justin Thomas, yes.
I don't think there are inconsistencies, but of course I am often wrong.

Graham has potential to develop into what they need. Maybe they feel the same about Yates, I don't know. But that doesn't help us this year. Graham was committed to VT and they were going to make him a DB. Re: 1 QB, I'll be interested to see if that remains the case too. Maybe they see it as a better proposition to go for a grad transfer next year i.e., someone day 1 ready.

On the OL that committed to Louisville, that is an interesting question and one I'll be interested to see how it plays out. Not sure how closely you follow recruiting, but Louisville's 2019 was an absolute disaster due to Petrino + coaching transition. They ended up #77 overall with 15 signees. 8 of those 15 signees came in the last 2 weeks. My opinion at the time and still is, is that 1) Louisville needed warm bodies and 2) Black's height/length doesn't fit was GT wants long-term.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There are some inconsistencies between your statement of the situation and the current staff's actions that beg some questions. If we don't have talent at QB, why are we taking one QB in this recruiting class? If we are thin on the OL and in dire need of more OL with P5 offers, why did the staff chose not to keep contact with an OL commit that ended up at Louisville, a P5 school?

Additionally, I think you're just wrong about Graham. Was his offer to play at Alabama for QB? No. Were his offers at other P5 schools to play QB? Just like Justin Thomas, yes.

Pretty sure the OL you are talking about was recruited to play DT at Louisville. Was 265 lbs. Also pretty sure that we were indeed the only P5 recruiting Graham for QB and that is why he is here. Not 100 percent sure on these points, but pretty sure. If he stayed with VT, he was going to play WR, I think.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Then that's on poor coaching and asking players to do what they are not good at. I certainly didn't see any gus malzhans style o, did you? I believe this was how Willie Fritz made a successful transition from 3O. Allot of what we have been doing the past decade translates well to that offense. I remember Nick Marshall was not very accurate, yet still had that offense humming. I'm not asking for that level of production, but it would certainly be better than what we are seeing.
I definitely agree and have said before that there are things I wish we did better in this transition of the offense and coaching in general e.g., QB rotation, clock mgmt.

And while we maybe could have smoothed things over better in year 1, who knows, I also posted data of CGC and CDP's two years at Temple.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

Year 2 was a big jump in production from year 1. Even during today's game, we saw a stat graphic that Temple now has the 5th longest streak in the nation of 20+ point games, now at 16 or 17 games. Well, we know who started that streak. Incidentally, Temple was replacing a 3-year starting QB in CGC's first year at Temple, so they struggled to find their QB longer than most would have liked.

The data is also why I think it's premature to throw in the towel on any of the coaches now.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol our O-line have blocked fairly well in the past. Maybe the current o line coach can't do much unless he has the nation's best players for his unit. I could see us running a variation of guys malzhans stuff with more cut and drive blocking.
Really? You don’t remember people bitching about Sewak? We didn’t block well in the past either and this team has much less talent then that when you consider scheme.

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't take this personally as I see this point of view stated a bit. The main issue I have with this and, to a lesser extent, the in-game hot takes is this. Can you offer what you think we can run? Then point to all of the plays where we've run that successfully and consistently?

It's way too easy to say in hindsight what hasn't worked, because there are plenty of examples.

We had a good convo going in chat and you know my position. At the end of the day, we have an "ATL" depth chart of QBs without any other P5 offer. We have approx. 3 OL with another P5 offer, one of which is a grad transfer.

Every time I see us run something well, there seems to be enough evidence that it's been inconsistent. I'm just curious what that "run something we're good at is". And I'm not an X's and O's expert, so it could very well exist and I'm not seeing it. Hopefully someone does a film breakdown this week.
Here is an offense this team could run...the triple option....get TO under center, run/fake dive to Mason then option run/pitch ....OL blocks down and QB/pitch man makes a guy miss....you know...like Paul did it... THAT is what we could run...with THIS OL...and THIS QB...and we'd be 3-1......but most of you folks hated the option... Heck, we don't even run RPO...our OL is what it is and that is NOT NFL drop-back pass-protect caliber.....I heard somewhere that Collins was, this year, going to adapt his offense to players that he has......Waiting....

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the OL you are talking about was recruited to play DT at Louisville. Was 265 lbs. Also pretty sure that we were indeed the only P5 recruiting Graham for QB and that is why he is here. Not 100 percent sure on these points, but pretty sure. If he stayed with VT, he was going to play WR, I think.
Odd that Louisville would list him on their website as an OL (link), if they recruiting him as a DL. Regarding Graham, you're incorrect. Most of his offers were for "athlete," but he had offers to play QB at the P5 level outside of Tech.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Really? You don’t remember people bitching about Sewak? We didn’t block well in the past either and this team has much less talent then that when you consider scheme.
The easy rebuttal here is the last O blocked well enough to score points, regardless of pass blocking and missed assignment issues.

The reasons why we can't block for this year should be the focus. I believe a lot of that has to do with a mix of OL fit, year 1 transition, injuries and lack of cohesion.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
The easy rebuttal here is the last O blocked well enough to score points, regardless of pass blocking and missed assignment issues.

The reasons why we can't block for this year should be the focus. I believe a lot of that has to do with a mix of OL fit, year 1 transition, injuries and lack of cohesion.
That’s why I said considering scheme. But this oline isn’t the same as last year either. Braun would be a nice upgrade.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I definitely agree and have said before that there are things I wish we did better in this transition of the offense and coaching in general e.g., QB rotation, clock mgmt.

And while we maybe could have smoothed things over better in year 1, who knows, I also posted data of CGC and CDP's two years at Temple.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

Year 2 was a big jump in production from year 1. Even during today's game, we saw a stat graphic that Temple now has the 5th longest streak in the nation of 20+ point games, now at 16 or 17 games. Well, we know who started that streak. Incidentally, Temple was replacing a 3-year starting QB in CGC's first year at Temple, so they struggled to find their QB longer than most would have liked.

The data is also why I think it's premature to throw in the towel on any of the coaches now.
I agree and I've said it a couple times, this year is frustrating. I want to see results next year however and by year three there should be marked improvement. I just didn't think it would be this bad to begin with. And Kat game was especially tough O-line wise since there were a bunch of starters missing (citadel game)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Odd that Louisville would list him on their website as an OL (link), if they recruiting him as a DL. Regarding Graham, you're incorrect. Most of his offers were for "athlete," but he had offers to play QB at the P5 level outside of Tech.
Who offered him to play QB at P5? That's not what I've been told nor does it track with what I saw publicly watching his recruitment.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
No I believe Graham was offered to play dB at P5 level and we got him because we offered at QB. I believe he was VT commit.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Btw, by Gus malzghan style offense, I mean lots of misdirection, o line getting to the second level and wheel routes. We know our o line is capable of getting to the second level. We also know our QB's can run misdirection plays/option reads. These things that lure safeties and corners into the box, which is when we make them pay with a wheel route. Instead what I see is some very basic triple option play, running plays that rely on rb to wait for o line to create a gap (ain't gonna happen with this crew) and pass pro. It doesn't have to be this way. These quicker misdirection plays, and plays where the o line can attack and get to the second level is what these guys are best at and puts much less strain on them. We could be doing this until the new batch of players come in.

But I'm rambling and repeating at this point. I guess I just wanted to clarify what I thought would work better than the head scratching stuff we are seeing so far.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Eh. I will give you Black, but again, I dont think the staff thought he was going to be better than what we had, already. I think youre wrong on Graham.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Who offered him to play QB at P5? That's not what I've been told nor does it track with what I saw publicly watching his recruitment.
I thought his WVU offer was to play QB, but I couldn't find any articles to substantiate that in the 2 minutes I looked. Only a WVU message board site that had him listed as a QB in his recruiting profile.

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry maybe a little harsh. But really, this coaching staff isn’t running the 3o.
No probs...the question was, something to the effect, what offense COULD this team run...?..I believe I answered the question..love the Yellow Jackets...but I am moving on...Thanks

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I guess this is what confuses me. Surely our coaches could see the issues we were going to have with the OL esp.with pass blocking. Where is the transition plan? Where was the plan to play to the strengths of our OL, which has to be drive blocking since that is what they were recruited for and then add in more and more pass blocking as the season wore on. Forcing our OL to do something they are not suited for is setting the team up for failure for a long time

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need to slow down the tempo a bit and huddle. You can run the same playbook, but give the OL and QB time to process what the defense is showing you. My opinion, I'm not an OC and never played past HS, but we look confused and out of rhythm and easily rattled out there.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I guess this is what confuses me. Surely our coaches could see the issues we were going to have with the OL esp.with pass blocking. Where is the transition plan? Where was the plan to play to the strengths of our OL, which has to be drive blocking since that is what they were recruited for and then add in more and more pass blocking as the season wore on. Forcing our OL to do something they are not suited for is setting the team up for failure for a long time

Again, where is the strength? We did option, screens, short passes, long passes, rollouts, bootlegs nothing was consistently effective