Offensive Gameplan

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Don't take this personally as I see this point of view stated a bit. The main issue I have with this and, to a lesser extent, the in-game hot takes is this. Can you offer what you think we can run? Then point to all of the plays where we've run that successfully and consistently?

It's way too easy to say in hindsight what hasn't worked, because there are plenty of examples.

We had a good convo going in chat and you know my position. At the end of the day, we have an "ATL" depth chart of QBs without any other P5 offer. We have approx. 3 OL with another P5 offer, one of which is a grad transfer.

Every time I see us run something well, there seems to be enough evidence that it's been inconsistent. I'm just curious what that "run something we're good at is". And I'm not an X's and O's expert, so it could very well exist and I'm not seeing it. Hopefully someone does a film breakdown this week.

It’s a pretty big indictment of the staff that nothing has worked with anything close to consistency.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Really? You don’t remember people bitching about Sewak? We didn’t block well in the past either and this team has much less talent then that when you consider scheme.

They botched about our pass blocking. Now the bitching is about pass and run blocking. Upgrading?

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Game plan needs to include better 3rd down conversion rates. Yesterday Tech was 2-for-14 on third-down conversions after going 3-for-9 against The Citadel.
Agreed. Sometimes proficiency on offense can help mask a deficiency on defense and vice-versa. If you're very or somewhat lacking in both O and D, then likely you'll have a tough time winning. Comparing 2017 and 2018 (both very mediocre years) to 2019 thru game 4, we aren't burning it up in either. 2017 goes to show that 3rd down conversion rate by itself doesn't tell the whole story.....1st and 2nd down, turnover ratios, etc. count, too.

2017 O rate 45.57% (12)
2017 D rate 30.94% (12)

2018 O rate 43.90% (26)
2018 D rate 50.68% (129)

2019 O rate 28.30% (126)
2019 D rate 42.37% (96)

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m with @Ibeeballin (I’m noticing how I consistently agreeing with the people that actually played D1 football) the gameplay was fine. TO had the team moving the ball down the field. Execution & TURNOVERS is what killed drives. Two fumbles in red zone kills drives. One recovered for a TD. Two turnovers on downs on easy pass and catch plays is what kills drives. The game plan was fine.

Lolol. Love the D1 player agreement line. That was great for a laugh so ty.

You seem to have forgotten or are intentionally ignoring the number of plays that went for one yard....or less. An astounding number of times. Won’t win many games that way even if we don’t turn the ball over.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
Puzzling to say the least. My Fear:
Low attendance the rest of the year
Low season ticket sales
Fans losing interest
Mass transfers
Recruits lose interest
The whole thing becomes a snow ball or an avalanche that sinks the entire program.

Everything listed was already happening before CGC got here. We had become completely irrelevant. We're now rebuilding.

Everyone outside of GT football forums predicted this was going to be a very difficult year for us. The only people surprised about this appear to be GT football msg board fans. Vegas had the O/U season win total at 4.

Looks like the experts knew alot more than most fans here.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Everything listed was already happening before CGC got here. We had become completely irrelevant. We're now rebuilding.

Everyone outside of GT football forums predicted this was going to be a very difficult year for us. The only people surprised about this appear to be GT football msg board fans. Vegas had the O/U season win total at 4.

4 is looking doable to you? Looks more like best case scenario at this point.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Prostyle offense is something they know how to predict

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Again, where is the strength? We did option, screens, short passes, long passes, rollouts, bootlegs nothing was consistently effective

Maybe that is the answer. We did all those things, mostly poorly or inconsistently. Maybe we should be focusing on doing a few of them well (quicker short passes, Oliver options, rollouts instead of pass pro, 2 back formations with one fast back (Donte, Griffin, Oliver) and one x BB. If Oliver is not the QB I would like to see him in for the slow TE so that we have the quicks on the field on pass plays..

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe that is the answer. We did all those things, mostly poorly or inconsistently. Maybe we should be focusing on doing a few of them well (quicker short passes, Oliver options, rollouts instead of pass pro, 2 back formations with one fast back (Donte, Griffin, Oliver) and one x BB. If Oliver is not the QB I would like to see him in for the slow TE so that we have the quicks on the field on pass plays..

No no no no no no. We have a pro offense now. And pro offenses have tight ends. :rolleyes:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Game plan needs to include better 3rd down conversion rates. Yesterday Tech was 2-for-14 on third-down conversions after going 3-for-9 against The Citadel.
Agree. Leading up to 3rd down we have too many early down plays for losses or no gain. We have erratic plays for success but no continuity for moving the chains or scoring...play calling and blocking issues?
Play calling should be logically planned to move the chains and score (4 downs) in the red zone. You cannot waste downs with poor plays resulting in not getting yardage. Our play calling appears to be more random than thoughtful.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. A successful offense has to have some base plays they can consistently execute well. Obviously our offense has no clear identity at this point. I don’t have anything against playing multiple QBs necessarily, but it seems like we’re trying to do too many different things while splitting reps equally among a bunch of players. So it’s no surprise to me that we suck at all of it.

So I read Cunningham in the AJC this morning and he said something that sort of looks like what we are doing. He states that we should be running an offense that is more run heavy while in transition but the staff is afraid that if recruits watch a run heavy GT they will not want to come to Tech. I can see this thinking in our play calling. I disagree with the thought process but I see this.