Offensive Gameplan

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So I read Cunningham in the AJC this morning and he said something that sort of looks like what we are doing. He states that we should be running an offense that is more run heavy while in transition but the staff is afraid that if recruits watch a run heavy GT they will not want to come to Tech. I can see this thinking in our play calling. I disagree with the thought process but I see this.
I agree. Problem is, I don't know if it's intentional or not. At no point is it worth losing to an FCS team to prove a point. Those optics hurt more than "run heavy" optics.

With that being said, I've started thinking about fan expectations as separated into two schools of thought (oversimplified). The first is a slow transition. Folks have mentioned Fritz as an example. The second is "rip the bandaid off", which is more like what we're seeing. In other words, screw the personnel, we need to run our O.

On the surface, this goes against most interpretations of "we'll run a scheme to fit the personnel", but perhaps the spectrum of what many of us interpreted that to mean was wider than what CDP and CGC had in mind. That's really the only explanation I can offer that makes sense.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
So I read Cunningham in the AJC this morning and he said something that sort of looks like what we are doing. He states that we should be running an offense that is more run heavy while in transition but the staff is afraid that if recruits watch a run heavy GT they will not want to come to Tech. I can see this thinking in our play calling. I disagree with the thought process but I see this.

The staff needs to go sit down with every top level recruit and plead with them to let us just run the ball more this year to keep from losing the remainder of the season, as well as supporters, then we promise we will go back to the “modern” offensive style when they arrive on campus. Then, pinkie-swear it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This may be too simplistic but the strengths of your personnel should dictate your game plan. You don’t call a Michael Vick game plan if you have Tom Brady and vice versa. And speaking of QBs, if you can’t choose one based on skill, choose one based on leadership ability. This QB rotation is asinine.

Over time you can then recruit the personnel for the scheme you want to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
The staff needs to go sit down with every top level recruit and plead with them to let us just run the ball more this year to keep from losing the remainder of the season, as well as supporters, then we promise we will go back to the “modern” offensive style when they arrive on campus. Then, pinkie-swear it.
Does any recruit actual say to himself, “Hey there goes GT, 3 & out and punting again. They’re running my favorite plays & not scoring any points. That’s where I want to go.”

I would think a recruiter would tell a prospect we can’t run what we’d like to run, but if you get on campus you’re going to have an opportunity start from Day 1 and we can open up the offense & run our preferred scheme.

This excuse making is just all hot air. It’s today’s business MO- Set low expectations, point out all the outgoing guy’s shortcoming, buy yourself some time, get your management to write off the lack of progress or even declining results pending the grand changes you’re implementing, blah blah blah. I tell my new hires you got 90 days to get your crap together, after that I expect improvement. You don’t get to blow up my operation in order to deliver some future results. You figure out how to get there with what you get when you arrive, deliver me exceptional results later with your superior platinum level program.

falconholic26

Banned
On Patenaude - He has been coaching for 28 years but his only division 1 experience has been at temple the last 2 years. That tells me that tells me that he is not a highly sought after offensive mind if it took him 26 years to get two division 1 (where we call big boy ball) I hope he can turn it around but his resume is not that good.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’ve given this question some more thought. I still think a Malzahn inspired offense or Tebow-Urban inspired makes the most sense based on our personnel. What I was interested in hearing an opinion of is the Chip Kelly style spread. From what I remember, Chip Kelly utilized undersized lineman extensively. I think we still would be struggling on OL due the shift from man on man primary blocking to zone, but I want to know if the scheme itself would have been a better overall fit in the short term. One thing I assume we are lacking is the proper QB for the system (though Graham is probably serviceable).

I just hoped someone would have some thoughts regarding this since I haven’t seen Chip’s name thrown around in this thread.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
So 4 doesn’t look doable to you?

Vegas establishes a number called the Over/Under. If you bet the Over, you think the team will win (or score) more than the number. If you bet the Under, you think the team won't win (or score) that many.

That's how the O/U works.

slugboy

Staff member
Mostly, when I see people question the play calling, I wonder why we don’t just ask “why isn’t the offense working?”

I wonder too. Even changing to a new offense and a new blocking scheme, I wouldn’t expect it to be this bad. We’ve lost some players who got a lot of the reps in the spring, so their replacements are less prepared. We’ve had to move players around—and I think it’s more “had to” than “want to”—but that’s cut into the reps and preparation too.

Mainly, it looks like we’re thinking way too much and playing too slow.

I hate to say “simplify”, but that’s all I’m coming up with as a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
It's back to future! Bobby Dodd exploited it. (Most importantly, of course, Paul Johnson never did it, hence it must be worthwhile to contemplate.)

We have a tremendous punter (who would have to learn how to pretend to look like a running back, to sell this; perhaps he could be "hidden" during a personnel change between plays).

The defense is improving. So --

Yes, the quick kick. So antiquarian it can be new again.

You're welcome.

Just move up to the 7:45 mark in this vintage Bud Wilkinson "Inside Football" video (and get a load of the snap between the QB's legs to the RB who then kicks the ball):

Yes, I'm kidding. Sort of.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine how fans would react to punts on 3rd down. That was fairly common under Dodd who played field position and relied on defense. A lot of people have forgotten that the boo birds came out against Dodd in the mid sixties for his conservative style at times. I got to meet him and his wife at Ansley one time long after he retired. It was a thrill for me to shake hands with a legend.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Might have to dress up the idea a bit. How 'bout the #4o4cultureboot ? Our sideline dance team coordinator could scheme up something to go with it!

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you imagine how fans would react to punts on 3rd down. That was fairly common under Dodd who played field position and relied on defense. A lot of people have forgotten that the boo birds came out against Dodd in the mid sixties for his conservative style at times. I got to meet him and his wife at Ansley one time long after he retired. It was a thrill for me to shake hands with a legend.

Yes I can imagine that. At this point, fans would be wondering, "Why didn't we punt on 2nd down? "

alagold

Helluva Engineer
3 down
JG snaps the ball and rolls the pocket.
TE Davis is open at the sticks.
JG throws a rocket to Davis that bounces off his hand. 4 down and punt.

The play was there. The execution wasn’t. Is that on the coach or players?
Who put in the players ,designed, AND called the play. muliply that by 40 pl

yep, I SAW it--BUT they had NO blocking with hands like today nor QBs that could throw 75 yds