Film Study OFF scheme vs. Temple

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Been watching some Tulane O. I really like some of Fritz's run scheme. Lots of quick hitting misdirection. We have the RBs to do that. It is quick, deceptive, and effective. We have the power backs (Mason/Malloy/Howard) and speed backs (D Smith/Griffin/Oliver) and running QBs. All out of the "NFL" gun.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I will be interested in the Temple ECU game this week. I thought Houston looked like a potential hire for us and he inherited a bare bones team at ECU. Montgomery was a disaster there. Now if their O looks good against Temple then I will be less than excited about how we are handling this transition under this staff.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On another cgc bad thread cgc improperly talked about temple players going to the nfl.

Checked the numbers.
Temple--- yes Temple has 19 players in NFL. Gt has 11.
In the game-- it looked like it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I will be interested in the Temple ECU game this week. I thought Houston looked like a potential hire for us and he inherited a bare bones team at ECU. Montgomery was a disaster there. Now if their O looks good against Temple then I will be less than excited about how we are handling this transition under this staff.

Well if we beat UNC the Temple game won’t mean as much any longer.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
what games were you watching? The triple were pretty much shut down last 2yrs. We ran mostly doubles as teams forced TQM to beat us by himself
Double is still the option. I'm not entirely convinced the triple was shut down as you say anyway. CPJ always said the triple wasn't called nearly as often as people think and you can't tell unless you really watch the blocking closely. I rarely went back and watched on slowmo to do that and I don't think you did either for the entirety of the last two seasons or even the majority. We averaged more rushing ypg the last two than the previous two (significantly more).

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Double is still the option. I'm not entirely convinced the triple was shut down as you say anyway. CPJ always said the triple wasn't called nearly as often as people think and you can't tell unless you really watch the blocking closely. I rarely went back and watched on slowmo to do that and I don't think you did either for the entirety of the last two seasons or even the majority. We averaged more rushing ypg the last two than the previous two (significantly more).

I don't think he needs to go back and watch on slowmo to tell which plays were called considering he played for CPJ for two years.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
On another cgc bad thread cgc improperly talked about temple players going to the nfl.

Checked the numbers.
Temple--- yes Temple has 19 players in NFL. Gt has 11.
In the game-- it looked like it.
How many of those guys that you and CGC mentioned were actually recruited by him and not the previous coach at Temple?

How many of those guys are significant contributors to their teams in the NFL?

Another and slightly different question is how many players does Tennessee have in the NFL? How successful have they been?

Animal02

Banned
what games were you watching? The triple were pretty much shut down last 2yrs. We ran mostly doubles as teams forced TQM to beat us by himself
It seemed the last couple of years that the avenue to success against the 3O was forcing the QB keep..... especially with a minimal pass threat. Wearing down the QB throughout the game ( not to mention the season)

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he needs to go back and watch on slowmo to tell which plays were called considering he played for CPJ for two years.

I know he played for CPJ, but that doesn't mean you can watch the blocking scheme and not miss something from live TV. If you look at the wrong thing for just a second a called give can look like a triple. The only way to tell from the stands is to watch the linemen and look at the assignments and you're not doing that when you are just watching for enjoyment. Doesn't have anything to do with knowledge (or lack of it) of the game.

To really say the triple was shut down you need to sit down and figure out what the actual call was on each play. The pull out the triples and figure out what the yards gained were and see if we were getting significantly less than everything else. I doubt that even ibee has done that.

Last edited:

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed the last couple of years that the avenue to success against the 3O was forcing the QB keep..... especially with a minimal pass threat. Wearing down the QB throughout the game ( not to mention the season)

Which usually ended up with a QB mistake or injury probably more often than it was actually stopped. That is another aspect about PJ's offense that was a negative at times. There really wasn't much of a way to keep the QB from getting pummeled if the defense decided to take away the A/B. If that happened your QB better be really dynamic and/or really tough if you can't pass.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we ran much triple the last couple of years either, but I think it had more to do with our QB than anything.

CPJ's O was based on the logic of team scheme gives an advantage over just players making plays.

Even when D's are well prepared against it, that just brings it back to players making plays. It's not like it's just a gimmick that can get figured out and so stopped.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't think we ran much triple the last couple of years either, but I think it had more to do with our QB than anything.

CPJ's O was based on the logic of team scheme gives an advantage over just players making plays.

Even when D's are well prepared against it, that just brings it back to players making plays. It's not like it's just a gimmick that can get figured out and so stopped.

I saw the OFEI 19, 49 the last 2 yrs and know you did the data but I’m really interested in how much Louisville skewed those numbers?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I saw the OFEI 19, 49 the last 2 yrs and know you did the data but I’m really interested in how much Louisville skewed those numbers?
I believe Jaylend would have been a better qb than Taquan, and I think very highly of Taquan as an athlete. But there was a limit there for sure. Oliver was also to inexperienced to get the correct read. Jaylend was better at passing and probably similar runner to Taquan. But we never got a chance to see him play, so we will never know.

slugboy

Staff member

Not sure. You’d think the “garbage time” rules would kick in. Probably most of the second half of that game was thrown out

On the plus side, some of the second half of games that we got stomped probably also got thrown out.

https://www.bcftoys.com/notes

Garbage and Non-Garbage Possessions

Unless otherwise noted, all ratings and supporting data found on this site are calculated only after first filtering out garbage possessions, defined as of July 2018, as follows:

An offensive possession of two plays or fewer that runs out the clock to conclude the first half and does not result in a turnover, score, or field goal attempt
An offensive possession of two plays or fewer that runs out the clock to conclude the second half with the score tied and does not result in a turnover, score, or field goal attempt
A possession in the second half of a game in which eight times the number of the losing team's remaining possessions plus one is less than the losing team's scoring deficit at the start of the possession
An offensive possession or non-offensive scoring possession by the winning team leading by eight points or fewer at the start of the possession that runs out the clock to conclude the game
Since 2007, 10.5 percent of all possessions have been classified as garbage possessions according to these criteria. FBS games have averaged 23.8 non-garbage possessions per game (11.9 non-garbage possessions and 11.2 non-garbage offensive drives per team per game) in that span.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk