Film Study OFF scheme vs. Temple

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is a board based on content and making the fan base more knowledgeable, so i will try my best to keep it just about that

Biggest gripe has been playing to our strength, not doing enough of a certain play and not have a gameplan. That couldn’t be the furthest from truth. Here

giphy.gif

Here we have the Triple. One, i think this shouldve been ran to the boundary bc of the numbers, but look at Quinney and the Center Cooper. Quinney muddles it up who the read key is and Cooper absolute whiffed on the MLB leading Oliver get crushed

We tried screens to get behind the pass rush but no one is biting
giphy.gif

We are close to big gains. Here is a RB trap play.
Quinney pass sets to get the DE upfield and the DT is unblocked. Unfortunately, Temple appears to be running a stunt and messing the blocking assignment up. If the guard blocks the DE instead of the DT this is 10+yd run

giphy.gif

Coach P gameplan was to get Oliver comfortable and attack single Cov 3 and Cov 1 with verticals and PRO-STYLE CONCEPTS such as Levels and Flood

Back to playing to your strength, we know the OL is not where it needs to be, but we have to be able throw to be effective. We moved the pocket a lot with rollouts and bootlegs.

Here is a Flood concept with Tobias

giphy.gif

Great way to slow the flow LB down get your QB out the pocket. Oliver delivers a strike unfortunately, it was dropped

Here the drags you guys asked for. Oliver probably should’ve shot it to flats quick
giphy.gif

Here is a pro style mesh concept with the drags and a post deep

giphy.gif

A big Cov 3 killer are comebacks, verticals and deep out

giphy.gif

The comebacks worked great and Coach P set it up with this next play: out n up. Sanders should’ve ran thru the ball imo

giphy.gif

It’s not much, but these gifs show we indeed had a game plan and was effective. We have to capitalize and execute at high level of want to win any more games this year

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is a board on content and making the fan base more knowledgeable, so i will try my best to keep it just about that

Biggest gripe has been playing to our strength, not doing enough of certain and not have a gameplan. That couldn’t be the furthest from truth. Here

giphy.gif

Here we have the Triple. One, i think this shouldve been ran to the boundary bc of the numbers, but look at Quinney and the Center Cooper. Quinney muddles it up who the read key is and Cooper absolute whiffed on the MLB leading Oliver get crushed

We tried screens get behind the the pass rush but no one is biting
giphy.gif

Quinney pass sets to get the DE upfield and the DT is unblocked. Unfortunately, Temple appears to be running a stunt and messing the blocking assignment up. If the guard blocks the DE instead of the DT this is 10+yd run

giphy.gif

Coach P gameplan was to get Oliver comfortable and attack single Cov 3 and Cov 1 with verticals and PRO-STYLE CONCEPTS such as Levels and Flood

Back to playing to your strength, we know the OL is not where it needs to be, but we have to be able throw to be effective. We moved the pocket a lot with rollouts and bootlegs.

giphy.gif

Great way to slow the flow LB down get your QB out the pocket. Oliver delivers a strike unfortunately, it was dropped

Here the drags you guys asked for. Oliver probably should’ve shot it to flats quick
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The comebacks worked great and Coach P set it up with this next play: out n up. Sanders should’ve ran thru the ball imo

giphy.gif

It’s not much, but these gifs show we indeed had a game plan and was effective. We have to capitalize and execute at high level of want to win any more games this year

There are a ton on one yard gain plays you can show to demonstrate the game plan was not effective.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
These gifs make it obvious how completely inadequate the OLine play is. You can have quality play design and quality game planning, but if your QB is running for his life every single play it probably won’t matter. The TO is most effective when the primary read of the OLB is made quickly and the decision with the ball happens simultaneously. The line is not setup to provide extended periods of pass protection and probably won’t be a for a couple of years. So CDP or somebody else will have to make a decision to adjust game planning to try to win some more games early in CGC’s tenure, or ride it out and suffer for multiple seasons in hopes that the grass will be greener on the other side.

slugboy

Staff member
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maybe I’m looking at this wrong, but I’ll take a shot. In the first set of drags, TO goes play action/fakes a handoff and rolls left. In the meantime, he’s had a receiver come open on a curl and the defense react and fall into coverage while he’s coming out of his play action fake. It looks like the routes develop at a different speed (faster) than the backfield portion of the play. Maybe the play action was a mistake for that play?

Sanders has to want that last play back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the post. It’s hard without seeing the context of the drives, but a lot can be seen in the videos.

From the OL I don’t really see the guys being physically beaten, they just look lost in some of the plays. I just hope we start to look better from the mental as the season progresses.

I thought the passing game was okay when the QB had time. Sometimes the throws weren’t there or the passes were dropped, but I expect those things until we get players.

On the TO fumble pass it looked like the RB wheel was incredibly open, was that the final check down? I can’t really tell who the primary was meant to be.

On the second gif, that was an incredibly slow developing screen, what is the actual play called so I can look up how it looks when successful. Considering how poor our pocket protection is, it seems like there should be more quick hitting pass plays. Each of the plays linked here include a roll out to move the pocket (which is a great idea for our slower developing plays), but have we shown the ability to make quick passes (maybe our qbs lack the vision and accuracy for this, which is understandable)?

Thanks again for the post.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the post, @Ibeeballin!

You seem to be highlighting that the problem on our OL isn't talent. Instead, they were not prepared to know what they were supposed to do on certain plays or how to adjust to defensive stunts.

I remember when CPJ identified a problem with execution like this he responded with simplification. He would rather run 6-10 plays where our guys knew what they were doing than 20 plays where they didn't.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to believe we are executing these plays in practice with an adequate degree of success consistently before we trot them out on gameday. I will say, give credit to Temple’s D. They looked sound in assignments, took good pursuit angles and tackled well. The first cut up is most concerning. A play those two linemen should be able to execute from the previous scheme. They both took too shallow of a block path and neither tried to cut either defender.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I am thinking that Temple knew exactly what our playbook looked like, more than our guys did.

Interesting take. The linked screen pass was covered incredibly well. I don’t think the DE took a single bad step.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am thinking that Temple knew exactly what our playbook looked like, more than our guys did.

I kept thinking the same thing. That there were some tells we were inadvertently showing that tipped their D into what we were trying to do.

It was unfortunate to play them so soon after the coaching change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Chicken or the egg?

Was not effective bc of execution or play design?

Thanks for putting that together. Your input is fantastic.

I love your chicken or egg analogy...

But to get back to your premise.

I think it is too easy to lay the fault of the offensive ability to score solely on the OL. The staff knows, or should know, the strengths and weaknesses of the OL. Injuries may or may not be what is causing the inconsistent play. But lets move on.

I won't go into the quarterback rotation controversy, but realize there are 3 talented athletes at QB with different skill sets. Let's assume the OL is still not capable of protecting any more than a 3 step drop pass or a roll out. If so, the offense is limited in passing plays. A three step drop still gives you crossing patterns, bubble screens, quick wheel routes, etc. Rolling the QB out, which I hate because it cuts off half the field, allows the QB the option of running (and fumbling). Screens are not as effective because the opposing team does not have to blitz. And can read and react to where the back goes.

So, this limited passing game allows the defense to cover tighter and support the run. I suspect that is why #10 was so wide open.

I say chicken. Tech is not going to open up the run game by passing. And if the OL cannot run block for whatever reason, (remember these guys were recruited to run block) the egg is going to rot...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Chicken or the egg?

Was not effective bc of execution or play design?
This is an honest question, but when does lack of execution stop being on the player and begging to be blamed on the coaches for not putting them into position to execute?

For the record, I don’t blame anyone right now. I assume the coaches and players are trying their best while transitioning.

Back in the CPJ era, he would claim we failed to execute and some would blame the coaches and some would blame the players. I find it hard to side with either because it’s a team game. Better coaches help players execute better and better players execute better. I guess it really just is chicken egg.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
This is a board based on content and making the fan base more knowledgeable, so i will try my best to keep it just about that

Biggest gripe has been playing to our strength, not doing enough of a certain play and not have a gameplan. That couldn’t be the furthest from truth. Here

giphy.gif

We tried screens to get behind the pass rush but no one is biting
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wow. I’m more impressed with the length of this post more than the team