Film Study OFF scheme vs. Temple

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is a board based on content and making the fan base more knowledgeable, so i will try my best to keep it just about that

Biggest gripe has been playing to our strength, not doing enough of a certain play and not have a gameplan. That couldn’t be the furthest from truth. Here

giphy.gif

Here we have the Triple. One, i think this shouldve been ran to the boundary bc of the numbers, but look at Quinney and the Center Cooper. Quinney muddles it up who the read key is and Cooper absolute whiffed on the MLB leading Oliver get crushed

We tried screens to get behind the pass rush but no one is biting
giphy.gif

We are close to big gains. Here is a RB trap play.
Quinney pass sets to get the DE upfield and the DT is unblocked. Unfortunately, Temple appears to be running a stunt and messing the blocking assignment up. If the guard blocks the DE instead of the DT this is 10+yd run

giphy.gif

Coach P gameplan was to get Oliver comfortable and attack single Cov 3 and Cov 1 with verticals and PRO-STYLE CONCEPTS such as Levels and Flood

Back to playing to your strength, we know the OL is not where it needs to be, but we have to be able throw to be effective. We moved the pocket a lot with rollouts and bootlegs.

Here is a Flood concept with Tobias

giphy.gif

Great way to slow the flow LB down get your QB out the pocket. Oliver delivers a strike unfortunately, it was dropped

Here the drags you guys asked for. Oliver probably should’ve shot it to flats quick
giphy.gif

Here is a pro style mesh concept with the drags and a post deep

giphy.gif

A big Cov 3 killer are comebacks, verticals and deep out

giphy.gif

The comebacks worked great and Coach P set it up with this next play: out n up. Sanders should’ve ran thru the ball imo

giphy.gif

It’s not much, but these gifs show we indeed had a game plan and was effective. We have to capitalize and execute at high level of want to win any more games this year

@tech_wreck47 hmm....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I saw the OFEI 19, 49 the last 2 yrs and know you did the data but I’m really interested in how much Louisville skewed those numbers?

Our OFEI was 19 in 2018 and 30 in 2017.

As @slugboy has mentioned, the LOLvl game shouldn't be a huge influence since the FEI both ignores garbage time scores and has an algorithm for accounting for strength of schedule.

That LOLvl game would influence my PPDvPwr5 (which is a raw stat, albeit based only on Pwr5 games). The first assumption is that, for most teams, a game like LOLvl would be balanced by games against CU or georgie. The second assumption is that actual team-strength is a bigger driver in the stat than strength of schedule for teams playing several pwr5 teams.

Back to FEI, I personally suspect that that SoS algorithm is too favorable to Gp5 teams. Or, put differently, I think the difference between a Pwr5 schedule and a Grp5 schedule is greater than their algorithm accounts for leading to Grp5 teams being over-ranked. It may be as simple as many Grp5 teams playing their games against Pwr5 teams in the early part of the season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I saw the OFEI 19, 49 the last 2 yrs and know you did the data but I’m really interested in how much Louisville skewed those numbers?

In case you're wondering, our Off PPDvPwr5 ranking after all the bowl games was #11 for 2018 and #25 for 2017. There are several Gp5 teams that did not play enough Pwr5 games to make my ranking which were ranked higher based on OFEI.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I know he played for CPJ, but that doesn't mean you can watch the blocking scheme and not miss something from live TV. If you look at the wrong thing for just a second a called give can look like a triple. The only way to tell from the stands is to watch the linemen and look at the assignments and you're not doing that when you are just watching for enjoyment. Doesn't have anything to do with knowledge (or lack of it) of the game.

To really say the triple was shut down you need to sit down and figure out what the actual call was on each play. The pull out the triples and figure out what the yards gained were and see if we were getting significantly less than everything else. I doubt that even ibee has done that.
Who cares at this point?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Back to FEI, I personally suspect that that SoS algorithm is too favorable to Gp5 teams. Or, put differently, I think the difference between a Pwr5 schedule and a Grp5 schedule is greater than their algorithm accounts for leading to Grp5 teams being over-ranked. It may be as simple as many Grp5 teams playing their games against Pwr5 teams in the early part of the season.
Can always look at the unadjusted instead and come to our own conclusions.
Just to pick two "random" (;)) teams from last year:

GT OFEI Adjusted Rank - 19
GT OFEI Unadjusted Rank - 19

Temple OFEI Adjusted Rank - 58
Temple OFEI Unadjusted Rank - 48

Is Temple losing 10 places due to a weak schedule fair? I don't know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Can always look at the unadjusted instead and come to our own conclusions.
Just to pick two "random" (;)) teams from last year:

GT OFEI Adjusted Rank - 19
GT OFEI Unadjusted Rank - 19

Temple OFEI Adjusted Rank - 58
Temple OFEI Unadjusted Rank - 48

Is Temple losing 10 places due to a weak schedule fair? I don't know.

From my stat, Temple's Off PPDvPwr5 was ranked #45 in 2018.

Temple played 3 Pwr5 opponents, the minimum to be ranked. There are a lot of Gp5 teams which aren't ranked in my stat because they didn't play enough pwr5 teams.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
From my stat, Temple's Off PPDvPwr5 was ranked #45 in 2018.

Temple played 3 Pwr5 opponents, the minimum to be ranked. There are a lot of Gp5 teams which aren't ranked in my stat because they didn't play enough pwr5 teams.
The BCFToys ppd-diff had them at 46th when including g5 teams but excluding garbage time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The BCFToys ppd-diff had them at 46th when including g5 teams but excluding garbage time.

Yeah, and they have us at #65 (oops, 14 for offense)

As I've said before, I really think that the difference between a Pwr5 schedule and a Grp5 schedule is bigger than footballoutsiders takes into account.

(By the way, I added a clarifying quote to the Clinton gif).

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Ibeeballin, I don't think we're getting much production from the transfer TE. This may read weird, but what do you think about moving Davis into the offensive line and going for broke with Deveney or even Cooksey? Davis would be kinda like a hybrid lineman, but could help out since we are so beat up there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I didn't bring it up. If you don't care don't waste time replying to my post. Pretty simple concept.
I’m sick of reading about an offense that we don’t have anymore, thats what i care about your post......who gives a flying f#k how many times we ran actual triple-o last year?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is a board based on content and making the fan base more knowledgeable, so i will try my best to keep it just about that

Biggest gripe has been playing to our strength, not doing enough of a certain play and not have a gameplan. That couldn’t be the furthest from truth. Here

giphy.gif

Here we have the Triple. One, i think this shouldve been ran to the boundary bc of the numbers, but look at Quinney and the Center Cooper. Quinney muddles it up who the read key is and Cooper absolute whiffed on the MLB leading Oliver get crushed

We tried screens to get behind the pass rush but no one is biting
giphy.gif

We are close to big gains. Here is a RB trap play.
Quinney pass sets to get the DE upfield and the DT is unblocked. Unfortunately, Temple appears to be running a stunt and messing the blocking assignment up. If the guard blocks the DE instead of the DT this is 10+yd run

giphy.gif

Coach P gameplan was to get Oliver comfortable and attack single Cov 3 and Cov 1 with verticals and PRO-STYLE CONCEPTS such as Levels and Flood

Back to playing to your strength, we know the OL is not where it needs to be, but we have to be able throw to be effective. We moved the pocket a lot with rollouts and bootlegs.

Here is a Flood concept with Tobias

giphy.gif

Great way to slow the flow LB down get your QB out the pocket. Oliver delivers a strike unfortunately, it was dropped

Here the drags you guys asked for. Oliver probably should’ve shot it to flats quick
giphy.gif

Here is a pro style mesh concept with the drags and a post deep

giphy.gif

A big Cov 3 killer are comebacks, verticals and deep out

giphy.gif

The comebacks worked great and Coach P set it up with this next play: out n up. Sanders should’ve ran thru the ball imo

giphy.gif

It’s not much, but these gifs show we indeed had a game plan and was effective. We have to capitalize and execute at high level of want to win any more games this year

Well done. You would have to show that clip of Oliver fumbling the second time. I don't think the wide receiver screens are going to work with the linebackers not blitzing. Why should they? We can't keep the down linemen out anyway. It seems no matter what the play is, there seems to be constant penetration and pressure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is an honest question, but when does lack of execution stop being on the player and begging to be blamed on the coaches for not putting them into position to execute?

For the record, I don’t blame anyone right now. I assume the coaches and players are trying their best while transitioning.

Back in the CPJ era, he would claim we failed to execute and some would blame the coaches and some would blame the players. I find it hard to side with either because it’s a team game. Better coaches help players execute better and better players execute better. I guess it really just is chicken egg.

I honestly do not think it is a play calling or formation issue. We just cannot block so it doesn't seem to matter. Maybe this week we can put some helmets on people and give JG time enough to get more than a quick look downfield. Have our quarterbacks actually sat in the pocket and gone through progressions this year and had time to throw to a secondary receiver more than once or twice a game? Doesn't seem like it.

Animal02

Banned
This is an honest question, but when does lack of execution stop being on the player and begging to be blamed on the coaches for not putting them into position to execute?

For the record, I don’t blame anyone right now. I assume the coaches and players are trying their best while transitioning.

Back in the CPJ era, he would claim we failed to execute and some would blame the coaches and some would blame the players. I find it hard to side with either because it’s a team game. Better coaches help players execute better and better players execute better. I guess it really just is chicken egg.
Fumbling the ball because it got a direct hit from a helmet while being tackled is not a coaching issue. Fumbling the ball while needlessly trying to extend it over the goal line is a coaching issue.