Film Study OFF scheme vs. Temple

GTFLETCH

Banned
CGC and OC CDP & CBK had an entire bye week to prepare for Temple and they pinched a heaping, smoldering turd. That's just awful coaching, regardless of personnel vs. system. He's got a roster full of ACC athletes. It's not like he's working with the talent level of, I don't know, Citadel's roster. I believe CGC got the personnel right now to do better than the last two games, regardless of scheme.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Based mostly on his performance against Temple and partly on CGC’s comments on GT60 last night, I think Graham gets the start against UNC Saturday.

He may have started against Temple if he hadn’t been hurt for the Citadel game. That was an untimely injury.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Based mostly on his performance against Temple and partly on CGC’s comments on GT60 last night, I think Graham gets the start against UNC Saturday.

He may have started against Temple if he hadn’t been hurt for the Citadel game. That was an untimely injury.
I have got where I don't care to listen to CGC sales pitch so I don't listen. But does he take any questions from the fans or are they protecting him from the fans ?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Honestly. It does no good to give inflamed fans a vent on the radio show. That belongs here...not on our radio show that should be more about promoting the program.
I agree but I would like to know more than what he has been saying. Listening to him before the season started I thought we have the 3 best QB's he had seen. He was so positive I just knew we could win 8 games .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree but I would like to know more than what he has been saying. Listening to him before the season started I thought we have the 3 best QB's he had seen. He was so positive I just knew we could win 8 games .

He’s always gonna spin positive. Just like some didn’t love CPJ straight talk and gruffness others don’t like CGC’s spin. Winning will overcome that. Losing will make it grate more. Just win baby.

I will say CGC approach may be more likely to attract sidewalk fans. So many other things to do in ATL I doubt it tho.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I have got where I don't care to listen to CGC sales pitch so I don't listen. But does he take any questions from the fans or are they protecting him from the fans ?

He took a handful last night. From what I remember, he only takes questions at the live shows, which there are only a few of those now. I think we started doing the pre-recorded stuff a couple of years ago.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I agree, Graham has the most upside of the 3, give the kid a ton of reps and let him learn. He’s consistently made the best passes of the three in every game I've watched him play, including the spring game

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

I’ve not heard him speak poorly about a player yet. What I do notice is for some, he praises their ability. For others, he only praises character and work ethic.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
He’s always gonna spin positive. Just like some didn’t love CPJ straight talk and gruffness others don’t like CGC’s spin. Winning will overcome that. Losing will make it grate more. Just win baby.

I will say CGC approach may be more likely to attract sidewalk fans. So many other things to do in ATL I doubt it tho.

This year will always spin positive. We will see more straight forwardness in years to come. This year is all about coalescing the locker room and getting buy in from the players.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’ve always wondered if you’re doing poorly and everybody knows it does it really help if your Boss gives you a vote of confidence? I know it’s a given for a Boss to avoid lengthy public discussions of how bad you sucked but a simple we need to improve would be about the best you could do. Acting like it’s not a big deal in those situations never say right with me. Everybody knows it sucks and what they want to hear is how change is coming to eliminate the suck not defense of why the suck is understandable, tolerable, etc.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I’ve always wondered if you’re doing poorly and everybody knows it does it really help if your Boss gives you a vote of confidence? I know it’s a given for a Boss to avoid lengthy public discussions of how bad you sucked but a simple we need to improve would be about the best you could do. Acting like it’s not a big deal in those situations never say right with me. Everybody knows it sucks and what they want to hear is how change is coming to eliminate the suck not defense of why the suck is understandable, tolerable, etc.

Depends. Wins/losses are not the only way to gauge development.
Many of us don’t know exactly what’s happening behind closed doors so it’s hard to say with any conviction.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Many of us don’t know exactly what’s happening behind closed doors so it’s hard to say with any conviction.

You are correct, we can't see how the team is progressing. They may be getting leaps and bounds better, and we just don' t know it. The harsh reality, though, is that 2 or 5 or 20 years from now no one is going to look back and say "Well they made great strides". They will look back and say this team was 5-6 or this team was 8-3 or this team was 1-10...

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You are correct, we can't see how the team is progressing. They may be getting leaps and bounds better, and we just don' t know it. The harsh reality, though, is that 2 or 5 or 20 years from now no one is going to look back and say "Well they made great strides". They will look back and say this team was 5-6 or this team was 8-3 or this team was 1-10...

They might look at it in context of the years that follow it. Noone really uses clemsoning as a verb anymore for a reason. I look at those years as them developing into what they are now.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
They might look at it in context of the years that follow it. Noone really uses clemsoning as a verb anymore for a reason. I look at those years as them developing into what they are now.
I agree... The overall perception of Clemson has changed... At the same time, whenever we are comparing coaches and talking about their records, we look at their overall record (at least in serious discussions and not narrative driven ones) and don't say "Well I'm going exclude that year because of injuries or bad luck or having to learn a new system".
I hope CGC becomes the next Bobby Dodd and leads us to a new golden age of football. Even if he does that, he is still going to have to own up to his entire coaching record - including this year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m personally tuning him out because of his style, but I’d prefer something like “we’re playing tighter on the corners, shifting to more man to man, etc and we had some technique issues. We’re going to work on that and we should get the improvement we want. We had a couple dozen missed blocking assignments. This is correctable with additional film study to improve the calls at the line. As the season goes
along, you’ll see the development”

Damn give me some hope. The effort stuff just doesn’t resonate.

That being said it really doesn’t matter that much to me at this point. CGC’s style is what it is and I just need to adapt to it. He’s going to be around for several years and I’m not going to spend my time grousing over the coach’s style like we’ve seen others do for the last 19 years. I’m just going to root for him to succeed.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m personally tuning him out because of his style, but I’d prefer something like “we’re playing tighter on the corners, shifting to more man to man, etc and we had some technique issues. We’re going to work on that and we should get the improvement we want. We had a couple dozen missed blocking assignments. This is correctable with additional film study to improve the calls at the line. As the season goes
along, you’ll see the development”

Damn give me some hope. The effort stuff just doesn’t resonate.

That being said it really doesn’t matter that much to me at this point. CGC’s style is what it is and I just need to adapt to it. He’s going to be around for several years and I’m not going to spend my time grousing over the coach’s style like we’ve seen others do for the last 19 years. I’m just going to root for him to succeed.

That's more in the coordinator and position coach talks. Tune in for Thacker.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's more in the coordinator and position coach talks. Tune in for Thacker.
Patenaude was pretty informative this week too. He seems well aware of a number of the issues and even admitted some of his play calls were bad. It seems that they know what the problems are and are trying to fix them. I wish we could hear from Brent Key more often. He is super blunt.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude was pretty informative this week too. He seems well aware of a number of the issues and even admitted some of his play calls were bad. It seems that they know what the problems are and are trying to fix them. I wish we could hear from Brent Key more often. He is super blunt.
Well lets see if P'nut has learned anything.
and you may not hear from CBK because he is blunt. :)