OC Hire

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Right no one is debating Key as an o-line coach.

The issue everyone seems to be hand waving away is implementing “what everyone else is doing” aka RPO spread offense. So now we have a cookie cutter approach with athletes that will never be as good as some of our competition. 99% of the time that ain’t gonna work well.

All I want is an OC who isn’t a cookie cutter follower.

Okay, I gotcha. So, who would you like to see as OC, then? Clearly it isn't going to be a triple option guy. What OC's out there would give us a schematic advantage? Do you want to run air raid, run & shoot, something else?

slugboy

Staff member
I haven't watched all of Patenaude's offense, but from what I saw, his play calling looked OK. I just saw too many players miss their blocks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I haven't watched all of Patenaude's offense, but from what I saw, his play calling looked OK. I just saw too many players miss their blocks.
Ae said weeks ago its patton nude.
I haven't looked bout wanted a power 5 name , but never looked at his work.
Glad u looked . Wonder how many are like me and not u.

I am now ok with what ever tstan and cgc do.

The real issue has been in my opinion has been getting the OC DC ideas down to the players thru the position coaches. To many slow to the point of attack/ play. I hope we don't allow that to continue.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
I imagine he was instrumental in bringing in some of the players who comprise that team now. If so, that's about as impressive as it gets.

The flip side of this is that he was apparently so bad at coaching the team UCF paid him $700k to leave.

Key as OL coach with other responsibilities like run game and recruiting coordinator could make a lot of sense for Tech. I don’t want him calling plays though. Saban has had him on staff for a few years and hasn’t promoted him three different times when the OC job has been open.

If we are going to take a flyer on an unproven OC, which I think we are fools If we do, I’d look for certain coaching/player trees. Look at the Leach tree. Tony Franklin, Briles, Kingsbury, Heupal , Holgerson, Brown. Pretty impressive results.

Keys best attribute appears to be recruiting, and he obviously can coach an OL. I’d take him for that, no question. But those that think we will begin to have classes of a dozen 4/5 star talent, you’re not being realistic. We still need somewhat of a schematic advantage which so far the OC names being thrown out have not really shown IMO.

Hokie Mark

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if this is the plan, but the I formation is a good transition for GT because you can still run some option plays while gradually transitioning to a Pro-style offense. Also, the base formation the CPJ used is not bad for developing more of a drop-back pass game (although personally I prefer replacing one of the "A" backs with a TE). Should be interesting to watch how the Jackets develop - if VT is going to lose to you guys anyway, at least maybe you can beat the carpet-wetters from Athens to make us feel better about it!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I gotcha. So, who would you like to see as OC, then? Clearly it isn't going to be a triple option guy. What OC's out there would give us a schematic advantage? Do you want to run air raid, run & shoot, something else?
Yea that’s the hard question. I don’t think it’s scheme so much as “does their own thing and not just what’s popular”

I think my ideal was David Yost who is now at Texas Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not crazy about Patenaude.

A lot of people are not.

He won't be Friedgen 2.0, but I think he'll be better than most suspect. People look at his time at Temple and want to make a judgement, but he didn't have all the parts to make his offense go. He still improved Temple's OFEI by 40 places (90's to 50's) over two seasons there, and broke the record for total points scored in a season. He's not a guy that's gonna give us top 10-20 offenses every year, but he's the type of OC that will mold the offense around the talent and get production.

The fact is, VERY few guys out there are "offensive gurus" in the vein of CPJ/Mike Leach/Rich Rodriquez/Chris Ault anymore. Most of the "offensive geniuses" today borrow heavily from many different offenses and get their system to work around the talent they have. Outside of Army and GT that run a specific offense (even CPJ borrowed from the option offenses of yesteryear and RnS), most of the top offenses are just hodgpodge of schemes and concepts from various offenses.

Scubapro

Banned
A lot of people are not.

He won't be Friedgen 2.0, but I think he'll be better than most suspect. People look at his time at Temple and want to make a judgement, but he didn't have all the parts to make his offense go. He still improved Temple's OFEI by 40 places (90's to 50's) over two seasons there, and broke the record for total points scored in a season. He's not a guy that's gonna give us top 10-20 offenses every year, but he's the type of OC that will mold the offense around the talent and get production.

The fact is, VERY few guys out there are "offensive gurus" in the vein of CPJ/Mike Leach/Rich Rodriquez/Chris Ault anymore. Most of the "offensive geniuses" today borrow heavily from many different offenses and get their system to work around the talent they have. Outside of Army and GT that run a specific offense (even CPJ borrowed from the option offenses of yesteryear and RnS), most of the top offenses are just hodgpodge of schemes and concepts from various offenses.
Paul drove me nuts sometimes but Chan had me breaking furniture
Unfortunately I think I will be breaking things again in the next few years.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Paul drove me nuts sometimes but Chan had me breaking furniture
Unfortunately I think I will be breaking things again in the next few years.

This is GREAT. I did not break any furniture, but Chan infuriated me with his play calling. Yes, at times, I was frustrated with CPJ also.

But, I always thought going into every game, no matter the talent disparity, that maybe, just maybe we had a chance. But when it was obvious we did not, the triple O, like any offense, can be frustrating, and of course, with PJ's offense, getting behind was a big problem usually. To be fair, though, I can't remember Chan's teams coming back from 2nd half deficits or more than one score either.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be interested in how he addresses it head on, when questioned about it. You know if he comes to Tech one of the first questions he will get from some media source is going to be about how he used his own experience at Tech to dissuade potential recruits from coming to Tech. It wasn't about "mentioning" calculus, difficult academics, or lack of girls, it was about him saying "that he made a mistake by coming to Tech, and that he would have chosen differently if able to do it over again" type of statements. Those are the rumored statements that have people against him coming to Tech. I don't remember where the quotes came from, and they may not be true, but he's going to have to face that directly at some point early in his tenure at Tech, if he comes. How he handles that will directly affect how I feel about him as a Tech coach. If he denies saying those things, I'll give him a pass. If he chocks it up to the recruiting game, I'll have a hard time stomaching his presence. There are some lines you don't cross, even if your job is on the line. I have never been a "win at all cost" guy, and won't support that type of lack of integrity.

If he simply pointed out the facts about Tech's academic and social atmospheres, then all's fair in love and war, and I hold no grudge. If he used personal testimony to dissuade a potential recruit from Tech, then he is not the type of person I want leading the young men fighting for Tech on any given Saturday (or select Fridays, Thursdays, and Mondays).

This seems to be crossing into the realm of the ridiculous. Everyone on this thread/board complains about the lack of recruiting yet we want all coaches' body of work to qualify for sainthood. We want choir boys for players the wonder why we get manhandled by georgia or lack the toughness to compete. I am not advocating for all-out sleaziness by any means but the standards some are creating for our hires will make it difficult to compete.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I understand I may be a bit whiny but it comes from 2 places.

1) we’re a P5 ACC school who is not a doormat. We shouldn’t act like a desperate program. People should have some qualifications for the jobs we give them.

2) we had a consistent identity the pst 11 years to everyone who even remotely followed CFB. I’m really not looking forward to becoming just another lower level school. I constantly say “we could easily become Oregon state. When was the last time you thought about their football team?”

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Has their been any young coaches learning under Lincoln Riley? It appears that guy is special for designing plays and calling plays.

Like maybe this guy?

CALE GUNDY

Co-Offensive Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator/Inside Receivers
EELWXEUTFIERMHJ.20150819003147.jpg

Concluded his third season coaching inside receivers and first as co-offensive coordinator in 2017 after a successful 16-year stint as OU's running backs coach. FULL BIO

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Right no one is debating Key as an o-line coach.

The issue everyone seems to be hand waving away is implementing “what everyone else is doing” aka RPO spread offense. So now we have a cookie cutter approach with athletes that will never be as good as some of our competition. 99% of the time that ain’t gonna work well.

All I want is an OC who isn’t a cookie cutter follower.

You want to be different for the sake of being different. Having a non cookie cutter OC doesn't get rid of the talent difference. With Johnson when we had better talent, with Dwyer, Nesbitt and co, we won more (19-7). Without that we were 63-54 which is pretty much the level we were at under the previous coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Since all the assistant coaches threads are all broken up, I'll put this here:

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-temples-second-head-coaching-search-2018/

Beyond that, the world did not stand still for the 18 days Diaz served as Temple’s head coach. Former Owls head coach Geoff Collins plans to bring several key pieces with him from Philadelphia to Georgia Tech, sources tell FootballScoop. Collins staffing plans for Georgia Tech were built with the understanding that Diaz would make some corresponding moves at Temple. In a situation like Collins’ coaches usually attempt to ensure their guys all find good homes going forward.

Among the hires Collins was expected to make from his staff at Temple, according to sources, were: offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude, defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker, assistant head coach/defensive line coach/run game coordinator Jim Panagos and defensive backs coach Nate Burton.

Additionally, sources said director of football operations Scott Wallace will follow Collins south.

Geoff Collins has hired Tashard Choice (running backs), Kerry Dixon (receivers) and Lew Caralla (head strength coach) — again all with the understanding that Diaz was the guy at Temple.

We had been told Collins was likely to bring some other guys as well but that such moves would be revealed at a later time. Now, with additional uncertainty at Temple, time will tell how any or all of these plans are impacted.

slugboy

Staff member
Ae said weeks ago its patton nude.
I haven't looked bout wanted a power 5 name , but never looked at his work.
Glad u looked . Wonder how many are like me and not u.

I am now ok with what ever tstan and cgc do.

The real issue has been in my opinion has been getting the OC DC ideas down to the players thru the position coaches. To many slow to the point of attack/ play. I hope we don't allow that to continue.

This has been posted before (but the video in the preview is pulled/broken): https://www.onefootdown.com/2017/9/...brandon-wimbush-brian-kelly-equanimeous-sport. Notre Dame played Temple in 2017, and they put together this look at their offense and defense.

Bill Connelly previewed Temple this year (he previewed everyone), and the write up is at https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../temple-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster. Patenaude's offense is past first, and is very weak in rushing, and the efficiency we known for the last 11 years isn't his forte.

The end of the season statistical profile from Football Study Hall is at .

(These S&P+ stats don't have the bowl games included)
Temple ended the season this way:
Overall rank......#34
Defense rank....#24
Offense rank.....#61
Special teams...#101

They were explosive on passing plays, and didn't give up many sacks. They got 4.62 points per scoring opportunity. Their big plays and good numbers really came on defense.

Our season ended this way:
Overall rank......#74
Defense rank....#105
Offense rank.....#31
Special teams...#16

(Yeah, those are really the special teams rankings at the end of the year). We got 4.95 points per scoring opportunity. Drive for drive, we were better than Temple, but not by as much as I'd think.

There's a Maryland/Temple highlight video at

Here's Temple vs a ranked Cincinnati:

Best Independence Bowl Highlight video:

ESPN Independence Bowl Highlights:
(shows almost nothing from Temple)

Independence Bowl Highlights 2:
(not much better)

Here's the Independence Bowl box score. Temple had 46 passing attempts at 5 yards per attempt and 29 rushing attempts at 1.8 yards per attempt.

I wish I had a "LongestDay" style video to share.

And, whatever we do, I would want some improvement in the running game. If Temple could have run at all, they would have beaten Duke.

Last edited: