OC Hire

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Loyalty and integrity matters.... he says in the same breath as saying he'd be done with the program because a guy said something mean years ago lol.

You a season ticket holder? How long have you been going to games?

If it happens I’m done with the new regime. I’ll check back in when he’s gone. And I’ll eat a bowl of Brussels sprouts if Key manages to call a good game against a quality opponent.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You have no direct knowledge yourself, just stories you heard from people behind usernames and recruiting pay wall sites?

Take a small step back and consider that:

1) the pay wall sites have a financial incentive to push anything juicy that is new information, even if it’s hearsay or totally false

2) if Key beat us out to get a recruit, the GT coach that was beaten has a financial incentive to push a negative narrative (I.e. excuse) for why he wasn’t able to reel the recruit in

3) if Key simply pointed to our academic stats, who is to blame for that? Since we don’t have direct knowledge of the incident, let’s play a hypothetical: possibly Key was telling a kid who struggled to make it through high school that he would have a better chance at finishing school at Bama. That’s best for the kid. Key gets points in my book for that.

4) lastly, being “done” with a new regime over an OC hire (or run game coordinator or whatever) is silly. We ALL need to be getting on board with the new vision in hopes of seeing a better program. Being negative from the get go gets us absolutely nowhere.

I’ve been positive about CGC in everything but this matter. And I’ve said more than once Ill take it all back if it’s ever refuted. Otherwise no.

You can feel free to completely disagree. Free world and all.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If Key wasn’t a Tech grad I’d agree. But he is. That’s what made his statements so damning. And it will no doubt be used to great affect against him by our recruiting rivals.

He’s a backstabber to his alma mater. That completely negates any bonus he’d have for “being a Tech man.” No thanks. Embracing that now is an indictment on the current HC if it happens. Slimey.

Did I forget to mention again that he has no resume to call plays at this level?
Seriously man do what you want, but imo this is a pretty ridiculous reason to turn tour back on a team you claim to love.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ve been positive about CGC in everything but this matter. And I’ve said more than once Ill take it all back if it’s ever refuted. Otherwise no.

As @UgaBlows said, absent proof, yours is a tough position to take definitively.

I've also been critical of Key for the same reason you are. He gets the side-eye from me because of it. That said, I'll support him if he's hired but I won't like it until I see positive results.

He also came across as a bit of a turd when I was in class with him so maybe I'm a little biased. :D

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You a season ticket holder? How long have you been going to games?

If it happens I’m done with the new regime. I’ll check back in when he’s gone. And I’ll eat a bowl of Brussels sprouts if Key manages to call a good game against a quality opponent.

I respect your position to make choices as you see fit but would push back a little bit on perhaps not having all the facts necessary to make an informed decision. However, whenever we make changes, a small minority dig in their heels at the onset for whatever reason against the new regime. And continue to drive their agenda relentlessly until that guy leaves or get fired. Please be true to your own word and "check back in when he is gone". The program doesn't need anymore negativity at all right now. You have been a regular contributor and have never been one of those anti-Paul or anti-GT posters to the best of my recollection and certainly don't want (I would imagine) to be lumped in with those posters who continually harp on one item or another to the point of being irritating or irrational.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Whiskey, let’s say you were a coach at ucf, under O’leary mind you, recruiting a kid and it’s down to GT and Ucf. It’s your JOB to get that kid to ucf. You’ve made your best “ucf is great and the best place for you” pitch (or is this already traitorous conduct in your mind?) but the kid is still on the fence. You’re telling me that you wouldn’t then casually mention tech’s calculus requirement, the academic difficulty and of course no girls? If you didn’t and lost the kid, how do you think the conversation would go with O’Leary?
GO: what happened Brent?
BK: couldn’t sell him on ucf coach. Lost him to tech.
GO: huh. You know I love tech but did you mention techs calculus requirements, academic rigor and that there are no girls on campus?
BK: no sir. You know I went to tech. I bleed white and gold and couldn’t bring myself to say anything negative about the institute.
GO: that’s very commendable Brent! Let me go call coach Johnson.
BK: uh, call coach Johnson? Why?
GO: cuz you’re f#@&ing fired Brent. If he doesn’t have a job for you then you’re out of the coaching business.

So you are not going to support the program anymore over THIS?

With that said, I am not sold on Key calling plays. Nothing tells me he would be good at this. If anything, his history gives me pause. BUT .... if he is given co oc and ahc title just to get him to come recruit and coach ol then that’s great.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The speculation I have seen is that Patenaude will call the plays.

I think we need to give some benefit of the doubt to TStan and Collins here. They have both shown they are all in on Tech IMO. To disqualify a potentially good coach because of some old innuendo is crazy. Maybe it didn't happen the way you heard. Maybe it did, but he regrets it.

If we were talking about actual NCAA recruiting violations, it would be different.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think calling out GT for the academics is an issue of integrity. I wouldn’t say any coach who comes to GT after employing this message at another school lacks integrity. If you hired a great sales-professional from a rival company...would you say that person lacks integrity? No, it’s good business.

Forest from the trees: Brent Key is a good OL coach and recruiter. He’s a relevant CFB coach with tremendous value. IMO - The previous staff had very few individuals who were good at coaching a position group or recruiting, much less both.

We’ve gone from a staff full of no name TO guys and under-qualified coaches (mostly because the TO college bench isn’t very deep) to Key, Dixon, Choice. Two established recruiters and an up & comer with strong GT / ATL ties.
Should he be calling plays, though?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I’m just wondering how you ever expect to refute a rumor of something that may have happened 10 years ago? Proving a negative is already iffy, but add in a decade of fog and there’s zero chance to ever find out the truth.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Can take a step lower as well.

What part of Key’s resume even warrants an OC title??
There’s been no mention as to who will be calling plays. Second - Key is the OL coach for bama - the best program in the country. He’s not going to make a lateral move. I think his recruiting contacts and previous experiences working with Saban and GOL make it worth it to give him a title bump and more responsibility. Otherwise, why would he come? We’re not even on the same planet as Bama.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What part of Key’s resume warrants an Assistant Head Coach title???

#2 recruiting Assistant in the Country according to 247.

The thing is, Key isn't leaving 'Bama for a lateral position. Giving him Asst. HC/Co-OC/OL coach makes it work optically for him in terms of career progression. It also gives us a BIG hitter in the recruiting lineup.

I've been as vocal as anyone about Key as OC, and what he did to his own alma mater on the recruiting trail. It'll be his cross to bear when/if he comes back and has to look at all the GT alumni and ex players in the eye. I wouldn't be able to look at anyone else in the eye the minute I step foot on campus, but that's just me. As long as Key doesn't have play calling veto power and isn't running the overall offense, I'm OK with him coming in coaching the OL, having a fancy hyphenated title, and recruiting guys for GT. I may have to hold my nose, but it's one of those times you don't want to know how the sausage is made...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
#2 recruiting Assistant in the Country according to 247.

The thing is, Key isn't leaving 'Bama for a lateral position. Giving him Asst. HC/Co-OC/OL coach makes it work optically for him in terms of career progression. It also gives us a BIG hitter in the recruiting lineup.

I've been as vocal as anyone about Key as OC, and what he did to his own alma mater on the recruiting trail. It'll be his cross to bear when/if he comes back and has to look at all the GT alumni and ex players in the eye. I wouldn't be able to look at anyone else in the eye the minute I step foot on campus, but that's just me. As long as Key doesn't have play calling veto power and isn't running the overall offense, I'm OK with him coming in coaching the OL, having a fancy hyphenated title, and recruiting guys for GT. I may have to hold my nose, but it's one of those times you don't want to know how the sausage is made...
K so he’s qualified for Recruiting Coordinator.

Not Offensive Coordinator.