OC Hire

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow

slugboy

Staff member
I know there are a bunch of rumors swirling around. I’ll be somewhat surprised if the staff comes together like we’ve seen rumored on the internet.

This is not an inside opinion, just an observation of the differences between rumor and what tends to occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
I know there are a bunch of rumors swirling around. I’ll be somewhat surprised if the staff comes together like we’ve seen rumored on the internet.

This is not an inside opinion, just an observation of the differences between rumor and what tends to occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no joke. i'm still hoping the delay is a positive and that we'll pluck some folks who aren't coming from mid-majors

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My sources at Tennessee said they didn't want him when Pruitt was hired. May have been mentioned for head coach but not a fan favorite there.

You've got sources!!? I always wanted some of those...or, if not those, a posse. I've got a dog whom I love a lot and i'm equally sure he loves me too...but it just doesn't really impress people when you tell them you have a dog. But, if you have sources and/or a posse, people just sort of recognize you as a playa and give you a different kind of respect that us dog owners just can't get.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You've got sources!!? I always wanted some of those...or, if not those, a posse. I've got a dog whom I love a lot and i'm equally sure he loves me too...but it just doesn't really impress people when you tell them you have a dog. But, if you have sources and/or a posse, people just sort of recognize you as a playa and give you a different kind of respect that us dog owners just can't get.
Let's just say he was not being seriously considered even though he had a great career there as a plsyer. That whole hiring situation was a hot mess and a lot of fingers in the fire. Not sure what he did after getting into coaching that may have scorched some Vols but it must have hurt his chances and I do have close friends that played there. One was all SEC and on a SEC championship team there. Another played for the Dolphins as a DB. These assist coaches move around so much it is easy to step on some toes along the recruiting trail.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Wondering how the Temple fiasco with Manny Diaz affects our coaching staff. If they decide to promote from within I can see a lot of current coaches staying behind. If so, that's not great. We are no longer the best open gig like we were before.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m getting resigned to Key coming back but Im not liking it at all unless it’s a lateral transfer to our OL coach. That would show he has love for his alma mater over even mighty Bama and that would mend some fences.

If he’s announced as our OC.....gag. That will harden my heart against the new regime unless his negative recruiting against GT academics and degrees gets debunked.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m getting resigned to Key coming back but Im not liking it at all unless it’s a lateral transfer to our OL coach. That would show he has love for his alma mater over even mighty Bama and that would mend some fences.

If he’s announced as our OC.....gag. That will harden my heart against the new regime unless his negative recruiting against GT academics and degrees gets debunked.
The somewhat confirmed rumor by a paid website writer is that Key will come aboard as a co-OC / AHC / Running Game Coordinator / OL Coach. It’s a mouthful, but it’s the right role for him and it’s enticing enough for him to leave a better program.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The somewhat confirmed rumor by a paid website writer is that Key will come aboard as a co-OC / AHC / Running Game Coordinator / OL Coach. It’s a mouthful, but it’s the right role for him and it’s enticing enough for him to leave a better program.

If he’s the signal caller for the O I think I’m done with this regime. He has no resume to warrant getting the nod as Tech’s signal caller. I won’t pull against Tech over this but I won’t be investing anymore time, effort, or money either I think.

Loyalty and integrity matter. They should at Tech more than most places. I hate a hypocrite. If Key is the OC...Tech is no longer any better than any factory out there. Well better than some like UNCheat but not enough to financially or emotionally invest in.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If he’s the signal caller for the O I think I’m done with this regime. He has no resume to warrant getting the nod as Tech’s signal caller. I won’t pull against Tech over this but I won’t be investing anymore time, effort, or money either I think.

Loyalty and integrity matter. They should at Tech more than most places. I hate a hypocrite. If Key is the OC...Tech is no longer any better than any factory out there. Well better than some like UNCheat but not enough to financially or emotionally invest in.
What year did key negative recruit against gt? What was our NCAA grad rate at that time? Site Source u trust?

Tech is as a bad as any factory. U and Animal are tough.

Hundred ata boys and one aw sxxx, and ...... no soup for u!

Last edited:

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck

upload_2018-12-31_1-54-13.jpeg

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What year did key negative recruit against gt? What was our NCAA grad rate at that time? Site Source u trust?

Tech is as a bad as any factory. U and Animal are tough.

Hundred ata boys and one aw sxxx, and ...... no soup for u!

If the stories weren’t true and are refuted I’ll take it all back. I’m doubtful that happens.

Few years ago, I don’t remember off hand but a search of the forum will probably give you the answer to when. You can look up grad rate for that year if you want. Matters not to me.

As bad as a factory? If the If happens...pretty much.

Chan didn’t lose me over 7 straight losses to the mutts...though that didn’t help. He lost me when he gave extensive playing time to a recently jailed drug dealer after an idiot judge ruled Tech had to suit him up. Judge couldn’t dictate playing time but Chan used that ruling as an excuse to give extensive pt to a player that should have been off the team. No soup for Chan.

Integrity matters. Or, it should.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
If the stories weren’t true and are refuted I’ll take it all back. I’m doubtful that happens.

Few years ago, I don’t remember off hand but a search of the forum will probably give you the answer to when. You can look up grad rate for that year if you want. Matters not to me.

Chan didn’t lose me over 7 straight losses to the mutts...though that didn’t help. He lost me when he gave extensive playing time to a recently jailed drug dealer after an idiot judge ruled Tech had to suit him up. Judge couldn’t dictate playing time but Chan used that ruling as an excuse to give extensive pt to a player that should have been off the team. No soup for Chan.

I don’t think calling out GT for the academics is an issue of integrity. I wouldn’t say any coach who comes to GT after employing this message at another school lacks integrity. If you hired a great sales-professional from a rival company...would you say that person lacks integrity? No, it’s good business.

Forest from the trees: Brent Key is a good OL coach and recruiter. He’s a relevant CFB coach with tremendous value. IMO - The previous staff had very few individuals who were good at coaching a position group or recruiting, much less both.

We’ve gone from a staff full of no name TO guys and under-qualified coaches (mostly because the TO college bench isn’t very deep) to Key, Dixon, Choice. Two established recruiters and an up & comer with strong GT / ATL ties.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t think calling out GT for the academics is an issue of integrity. I wouldn’t say any coach who comes to GT after employing this message at another school lacks integrity. If you hired a great sales-professional from a rival company...would you say that person lacks integrity? No, it’s good business.

Forest from the trees: Brent Key is a good OL coach and recruiter. He’s a relevant CFB coach with tremendous value. IMO - The previous staff had very few individuals who were good at coaching a position group or recruiting, much less both.

We’ve gone from a staff full of no name TO guys and under-qualified coaches (mostly because the TO college bench isn’t very deep) to Key, Dixon, Choice. Two established recruiters and an up & comer with strong GT / ATL ties.

If Key wasn’t a Tech grad I’d agree. But he is. That’s what made his statements so damning. And it will no doubt be used to great affect against him by our recruiting rivals.

He’s a backstabber to his alma mater. That completely negates any bonus he’d have for “being a Tech man.” No thanks. Embracing that now is an indictment on the current HC if it happens. Slimey.

Did I forget to mention again that he has no resume to call plays at this level?

techfan4

Georgia Tech Fan

You have no direct knowledge yourself, just stories you heard from people behind usernames and recruiting pay wall sites?

Take a small step back and consider that:

1) the pay wall sites have a financial incentive to push anything juicy that is new information, even if it’s hearsay or totally false

2) if Key beat us out to get a recruit, the GT coach that was beaten has a financial incentive to push a negative narrative (I.e. excuse) for why he wasn’t able to reel the recruit in

3) if Key simply pointed to our academic stats, who is to blame for that? Since we don’t have direct knowledge of the incident, let’s play a hypothetical: possibly Key was telling a kid who struggled to make it through high school that he would have a better chance at finishing school at Bama. That’s best for the kid. Key gets points in my book for that.

4) lastly, being “done” with a new regime over an OC hire (or run game coordinator or whatever) is silly. We ALL need to be getting on board with the new vision in hopes of seeing a better program. Being negative from the get go gets us absolutely nowhere.