OC Hire

vpjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Tee Martin- NO!NO!NO!
I simply do not understand bobongo and others infatuation with Tee Martin as a possible OC. There was absolutely nothing impressive about his track record at USC, and old school (Tenn) didn't seek him out. He might be able to recruit but we need a solid play caller. I'll gladly pass on Tee and take the Temple OC to call the plays and Brent Key for the OL, run game & recruiting.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We never "offered" Tee Martin. No clue where that is coming from. If it came from his camp, however, I respect him a ton less
LOL at Tee trying to be Cush. Shoulda hired Jerry Maguire.
iu

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this thread is going downhill fast. None of us know anything - I mean anything at all - about the coaching ability of any of the guys mentioned in this thread as possible OC candidates. We do not even know if they are candidates.

We just celebrated (??) the retirement of the best OC we have had in a very long time. If punching the right buttons on game day was the key talent required for this job, GT would be playing Alabama for the championship next weekend.

slugboy

Staff member
Yomanser has a coaching search update thread. Maybe we should sticky it (again). It’s limited to more news and less speculation.

The lack of announcements is making the board a little more antsy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Dave P is the obvious choice based on his relationship with CGC. Not sure if it is just speculation or something more, but if it is him then we will still run some option. I see him as a copy cat of a lot of spread coaches. I don’t really see him as a great X and O mind. His success will depend more on the Jimmies and Joes that we get more so than his ability to out scheme opponents.

All that is okay, but we will need elite talent in all the skill positions to be competitive for ACC championships IMO.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I hope we don’t hire Patenwhatever. I’d like to see someone a little better. Who, I don’t know. But I haven’t been overly impressed with what I’ve seen.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
Notwithstanding coaches current roles/responsibilities, I think we are seeing a more media savvy approach to these announcements that keeps GT in the news with relevant updates on a periodic basis - even the way we are seeing position coaches before OC/DC as teasers

vpjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It sounds like he'll be the QB coach, not the OC. But of course that's still speculation.
What have you read that leads you to believe he would not be the OC? Every indication is that he'll indeed be the OC, at worst a co-OC and would be the play caller. While I might have been more awed by a bigger name, this guys style at Coastal Carolina would seem to be the perfect offensive system as a transition from the 3op.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Key coming in and playing a part in our offense is true the longer this plays out because he's currently on Alabama's playoff run.

From a recruiting standpoint, that's HUGE. CGC is putting together a formidable recruiting staff for recruiting. Key is one of the best recruiters in the country, and his recruiting reputation goes back before 'Bama. Personally, I don't like what he did to recruit against GT, but that's life and he'll have to live with it. I doubt he had to use it against GT recently as the "Alabama" on his shirt probably didn't need to have too much negative recruiting versus GT.

In terms of X's and O's, it'll be interesting. Not sure how it'll play out, but hopefully the too many cooks in the kitchen issue won't backfire.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Key coming in and playing a part in our offense is true the longer this plays out because he's currently on Alabama's playoff run.

From a recruiting standpoint, that's HUGE. CGC is putting together a formidable recruiting staff for recruiting. Key is one of the best recruiters in the country, and his recruiting reputation goes back before 'Bama. Personally, I don't like what he did to recruit against GT, but that's life and he'll have to live with it. I doubt he had to use it against GT recently as the "Alabama" on his shirt probably didn't need to have too much negative recruiting versus GT.

In terms of X's and O's, it'll be interesting. Not sure how it'll play out, but hopefully the too many cooks in the kitchen issue won't backfire.

It mean GT is in the business of college football.