OC Hire

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I decided to break down the ACC teams based roughly on the offenses they run, as well as some local SEC teams. There are obviously overlaps between between a spread and pro-style and each pro-style and spread is different (Clemson and Louisville for example are very different but I still classify both as spread offenses)

Coastal:
UNC - Spread based on the new OC
Duke - Pro style
Miami - Pro style
Pitt - Pro style
UVA - Spread
VT - Spread

Atlantic:
Clemson - Spread
BC - Pro style
Wake - Tough to pin down, but Pro style with spread concepts
NCSt - Pro style
Louisville - Spread
FSU - Veer and shoot (based on the Briles Jr rumor)
Syracuse - Veer and shoot

Some SEC teams:

UGA - Pro style
Auburn - Spread
Tennessee - who knows right now
UF - Spread
Alabama - Spread
USC - Pro style

Notre Dame - Spread

Maybe we are getting to the point that an old school West Coast Offense would be considered a "gimmick" and help us punch above our weight class.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
I decided to break down the ACC teams based roughly on the offenses they run, as well as some local SEC teams. There are obviously overlaps between between a spread and pro-style and each pro-style and spread is different (Clemson and Louisville for example are very different but I still classify both as spread offenses)

Coastal:
Duke - Pro style
Miami - Pro style
Pitt - Pro style
UVA - Spread
VT - Spread

Atlantic:
Clemson - Spread
BC - Pro style
NCSt - Pro style
Louisville - Spread

Some SEC teams:

UGA - Pro style
Auburn - Spread
UF - Spread
Alabama - Spread
USC - Pro style

Notre Dame - Spread

Maybe we are getting to the point that an old school West Coast Offense would be considered a "gimmick" and help us punch above our weight class.
The word going around is Coach Jeremy Pruitt is looking for an offensive coordinator to bring in the spread offense to Tennessee:cigar:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Coastal:
Duke - Pro style
Miami - Pro style
Pitt - Pro style
UVA - Spread
VT - Spread

Atlantic:
Clemson - Spread
BC - Pro style
NCSt - Pro style
Louisville - Spread

Some SEC teams:

UGA - Pro style
Auburn - Spread
UF - Spread
Alabama - Spread
USC - Pro style

Notre Dame - Spread

You left off the best offense in the country in Oklahoma
They run a modified version of the Air Raid with a different emphasis on running than other Air Raid schemes.

If we wanted to punch above our weight class, look what Washington State did this year. Air Raid would be a big transition, but it is a scheme built on working with less talent.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Ok now that we know it's a total house cleaning of the coaching staff. I wonder why it's still advantageous to not go ahead and name the OC and DC that are going to replace them? I also wonder what kind of effect it will have on morale headed into the bowl game where every one of the staff is a "lame duck" kind of role. Why not just come forward with the name and stop pretending like it's not disruptive to the Temple staff as well.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I was only posting about ACC teams (+our half brother ND) and the local SEC teams that raid GA for talent.
When I saw SEC and Notre Dame I just assumed you were picking randomly =)
The way I see it. In the playoffs:
AL: Spread option
Clemson: Spread option
ND: Spread option
Oklahoma: Air Raid

Of those teams, only Oklahoma is the only team without a top 10 defense as well.

Versions of the spread seem to be consistently in the top 10 for offenses but that is probably due to how many teams run it now. I think in the top 10 only UGA runs a pro set, and they have the talent to run over everyone. When you consider what GT and Army are able to do with less talent it's impressive. Same can be said for Washington State though. If people want a dramatic shift that still gave us a schematic advantage I'd go Air Raid.

Deleted member 2897

When I saw SEC and Notre Dame I just assumed you were picking randomly =)
The way I see it. In the playoffs:
AL: Spread option
Clemson: Spread option
ND: Spread option
Oklahoma: Air Raid

Of those teams, only Oklahoma is the only team without a top 10 defense as well.

Versions of the spread seem to be consistently in the top 10 for offenses but that is probably due to how many teams run it now. I think in the top 10 only UGA runs a pro set, and they have the talent to run over everyone. When you consider what GT and Army are able to do with less talent it's impressive. Same can be said for Washington State though. If people want a dramatic shift that still gave us a schematic advantage I'd go Air Raid.

The hard part would be we would need like 10-12 WRs and 4-5 RBs. We’re the inverse of that right now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is it too late to hope for Tee Martin? It would be a shame to pass up the opportunity to get a coach on board who can recruit Atlanta and the southeast like he can, IMO. And I think he's a pretty decent OC as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tee Martin as OC at USC:

2016 - 477 yards per game
2017 - 485 yards per game
2018 - 385 yards per game

So, two very good years and one injury-ridden clunker. And he's this phenomenal recruiter in our area. I hope we get a big surprise when the OC is announced, and it's Tee Martin.

Even including the clunker year, as OC he averaged around 450 yards per game total offense in three years. Couple that with his recruiting acumen in Atl. and his hire is a no-brainer, IMHO.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Tee Martin as OC at USC:

2016 - 477 yards per game
2017 - 485 yards per game
2018 - 385 yards per game

So, two very good years and one injury-ridden clunker. And he's this phenomenal recruiter in our area. I hope we get a big surprise when the OC is announced, and it's Tee Martin.

Even including the clunker year, ha averaged around 450 yards per game total offense in three years.
I believe he would be a very good OC but I don't see CGC even talking to him. I believe he had his mind up when he took the job. Good or bad I hope good

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach has talked about having an NFL offense and a system that prepares kids for the NFL and even mentions NFL teams by name a few times (Chiefs, Rams, Bears). I really think he is going to bring an NFL guy in, probably not an OC since I'm not sure we can pay more than an NFL team, but a QB coach or a position coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach has talked about having an NFL offense and a system that prepares kids for the NFL and even mentions NFL teams by name a few times (Chiefs, Rams, Bears). I really think he is going to bring an NFL guy in, probably not an OC since I'm not sure we can pay more than an NFL team, but a QB coach or a position coach.

Its a sales pitch and branding. You have to say and do this coming from the option as he tries to implement his program and immediately overcome negative recruiting

The oc will be a college guy imo

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Goose!
In all seriousness, even without him being a Tech guy, he wouldn’t be a bad hire. He was the sacrificial lamb in Houston but he was fired because he had Brock frickin Osweiller as the QB, and really only had Lamar Miller and Hopkins as weapons. 2015 was better but he had Hoyer at QB and Arian Foster was always hurt. Can’t make chicken soufflé out of chicken ****.
He has years of experience at the college level with O’Leary at UCF.
He is honestly the only NFL guy I would want to hire.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
Goose!
In all seriousness, even without him being a Tech guy, he wouldn’t be a bad hire. He was the sacrificial lamb in Houston but he was fired because he had Brock frickin Osweiller as the QB, and really only had Lamar Miller and Hopkins as weapons. 2015 was better but he had Hoyer at QB and Arian Foster was always hurt. Can’t make chicken soufflé out of chicken ****.
He has years of experience at the college level with O’Leary at UCF.
He is honestly the only NFL guy I would want to hire.
I wouldn't put much stock in an NFL guy or a true "NFL system" since we really don't know what that means anymore with NFL teams actually evolving their offenses. Coach Collins had said in his interviews that we're going to be multiple on both O and D.

That said, if Coach believes Goose is a fit for a position on the staff (OC, position coach, etc.) and can help execute what it is Tech needs to do to be successful offensively, I'm all for it. I do believe that George Godsey is a good football coach (Belichick hired him on staff and IIRC what I had read, he blocked Goose following Bill O'Brien to penn state...he wouldn't do that if he was arse as a coach), but I'm not sold on hiring him solely because he's a Tech man (and a near-legendary former player at that). He would have to be a home run fit.