OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
For everyone asking for coordinators to come from lower level schools (like Coastal Carolina or Kent St), you guys are aware that D-Pad was coastal Carolina OC for five years and set most every offensive school record at the time?

Success at the lower levels of football doesn't always equal success at upper levels. And I don't think either Stansbury or Collins wants someone to learn on the job when immediate results are needed next year.
I think what most people are looking at, at least from what I’ve seen, is creativity in playcalling. Someone willing to take risks. That’s what succeeds long term.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think what most people are looking at, at least from what I’ve seen, is creativity in playcalling. Someone willing to take risks. That’s what succeeds long term.
Right, I would argue that Tenuta was our biggest risk-taking coordinator besides CPJ as a playcaller in the last 20 years.

Risky at Tech does considerably better than vanilla and passive (see Al Groh, CDP, Gailey, Nix)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
For everyone asking for coordinators to come from lower level schools (like Coastal Carolina or Kent St), you guys are aware that D-Pad was coastal Carolina OC for five years and set most every offensive school record at the time?

Success at the lower levels of football doesn't always equal success at upper levels. And I don't think either Stansbury or Collins wants someone to learn on the job when immediate results are needed next year.

When Pat was at Costal he ran the triple. Honestly that's the most saddening thing with him. I feel he should have been the perfect guy to come up with a scheme that utilized our talent and transitioned but i also think he might have been hamstrung. When you are calling games using a system you yourself don't' really know how the hell are you suppose to teach it. Everywhere he was before temple he ran a bit of option even at temple they did more veer option than we did here.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow

When CDP went to Coastal Carolina, the program had been in existence for 9 whole years. To say he set all kinds of school records there is pretty meaningless.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Ken Whisenhunt would be a great OC. He has NFL Experience as a head coach and OC. That would go a long way in recruiting. He is also unemployed. What say you?

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
When Pat was at Costal he ran the triple. Honestly that's the most saddening thing with him. I feel he should have been the perfect guy to come up with a scheme that utilized our talent and transitioned but i also think he might have been hamstrung. When you are calling games using a system you yourself don't' really know how the hell are you suppose to teach it. Everywhere he was before temple he ran a bit of option even at temple they did more veer option than we did here.
Collins is all about perception, and image, and brand. If he sold recruits on the "New GT" I can definitely see him telling Pat "we're transitioning AWAY from the option, run something else."

Note: this is not meant to be ***ting on CGC. It's just a thought.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Collins is all about perception, and image, and brand. If he sold recruits on the "New GT" I can definitely see him telling Pat "we're transitioning AWAY from the option, run something else."

Note: this is not meant to be ***ting on CGC. It's just a thought.

This is exactly what happened. There’s no other reason why we couldn’t have made it a true transition instead of ripping it off like a band-aid.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow

He was at coastal when they were at the fcs level. Left for temple and was mediocre there and ran a vanilla offense. People should have realized he was a bad hire since he never broke into the D1 level until damn near 50.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
This is exactly what happened. There’s no other reason why we couldn’t have made it a true transition instead of ripping it off like a band-aid.
This - a real football coach would have built his system around the available athletes(the Rumsfeld doctrine), not shoved them into a system that they weren't recruited for. That's a big reason why the Citadel game sticks in my throat. It was obvious then that this bunch couldn't coach, even when playing a team that was below the level that they had previously coached. They haven't improved since then. Can't coach and can't learn from their mistakes....

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This - a real football coach would have built his system around the available athletes(the Rumsfeld doctrine), not shoved them into a system that they weren't recruited for. That's a big reason why the Citadel game sticks in my throat. It was obvious then that this bunch couldn't coach, even when playing a team that was below the level that they had previously coached. They haven't improved since then. Can't coach and can't learn from their mistakes....

Not to mention had he not ****talked the past system and instead simply said " This team was won an orange bowl in 2014 and beat kentucky in 2016 we want to build upon that success while taking us in a different direction, I am not an option coach so I am not going to try to replace johnson and be worse at it (gives credit while stating an intention to move in a different direction) Johnson would have likely helped him with citadel. I mean imagine if Collins said " well we brought in coach johnson to help us game plan" After dominating that team (because theres no way in hell CPJ would say " yeah your alley plan should be to play it from center field." ) Instead his arrogance lost him that game.

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
Right, I would argue that Tenuta was our biggest risk-taking coordinator besides CPJ as a playcaller in the last 20 years.

Risky at Tech does considerably better than vanilla and passive (see Al Groh, CDP, Gailey, Nix)
Listening to the cover 3 podcast (which I'm sure everyone will agree will make me an expert), I heard them talk about how a lot of the hot name coaches (Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Kingsbury), all demonstrated success as playcallers and were willing to roll the dice on big plays. As time goes on, you begin to hit on more of those big plays and it develops a more successful offense. I think we saw flashes of DP experimenting, but he would immediately revert to vanilla play calling when he inevitably got burned by penalty or turnover.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The few times we ran an option this year it was a disaster. Never saw a 3O but it was more like the pros run occasionally. I felt like he ran a very generic offense and no imagination. We ran one play under center with a rocket toss that went for good yardage (maybe a TD). Never saw that again. Was Collins holding some plays/formations back?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The few times we ran an option this year it was a disaster. Never saw a 3O but it was more like the pros run occasionally. I felt like he ran a very generic offense and no imagination. We ran one play under center with a rocket toss that went for good yardage (maybe a TD). Never saw that again. Was Collins holding some plays/formations back?
Honestly, in year 1 of CGC, I thought he was literally holding EVERYTHING back :wtf: . Now after year 3, I realize that's just the best he's got. It's called unrealized potential,
underachieving, missed opportunities, an hour late and a dollar short, whiffing,............well you get the idea. I am hoping with some good assistants and change in mindset, he can get this moving in the right direction. He has 1 year to do it, IMO.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
One trait of a CPJ option offense is that it moves quickly. The modern "pro" RPO is a slow developing offense that we just don't have the OL for. I know it's a hangover from the CPJ years, but the slow mesh with RB would have me yelling at the TV. You can't hold the ball that long when your OL leaks live a sieve...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One trait of a CPJ option offense is that it moves quickly. The modern "pro" RPO is a slow developing offense that we just don't have the OL for. I know it's a hangover from the CPJ years, but the slow mesh with RB would have me yelling at the TV. You can't hold the ball that long when your OL leaks live a sieve...
We never really made the MLB react either. It was poorly executed which I blame on coaching. We did not have much success running it. WF runs it with the QB riding the belly of the RB and pulling at the last possible moment.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Learned what actually? An early indicator will be no more Waffle House Wednesdays with extreme gluttony followed by skinny suits. I don't thinks its just about winning, its about representing the institute. Again and unfortunately I've lived in Nebraska for 20 years. Pelini went 9-4 or 10-4 every year. And you know what happened, nobody liked him, didn't represent the university well. And yet again as an old GT alum, I can. deal better with 3-9 than having a clown represent the institute.

I would prefer not to deal with 3-9 seasons or having a close represent the institute. 🙂

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think Ken Whisenhunt would be a great OC. He has NFL Experience as a head coach and OC. That would go a long way in recruiting. He is also unemployed. What say you?

Has he ever coached in college? Would he want to recruit? If he wasn't a GT alum, would we think he is the best hire for our program? I appreciate someone's familiarity with GT and how we work. We are different, so glad having someone like Todd as AD (as long as someone else does the contract negotiating from now on) and that can lower the learning curve period, but I don't think we should hire a GT just to hire him if no one else is calling them.