OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This - a real football coach would have built his system around the available athletes(the Rumsfeld doctrine), not shoved them into a system that they weren't recruited for.

So I take it you don't think Johnson is a real football coach then, because he certainly ran his system day one with players not recruited for it.

Of course in reality what you suggested is the opposite. You hire a coach to coach what he knows, not re-invent the wheel at every stop.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
So I take it you don't think Johnson is a real football coach then, because he certainly ran his system day one with players not recruited for it.
Quite the opposite - Johnson was the master of making the most of what you're given. I seem to recall many here claimed his early success at GT was due to "Chan Gailey's" recruits.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Quite the opposite - Johnson was the master of making the most of what you're given. I seem to recall many here claimed his early success at GT was due to "Chan Gailey's" recruits.

So, just so we're clear, Johnson didn't come here and just install his offense game one? Is that what you're saying?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
So, just so we're clear, Johnson didn't come here and just install his offense game one? Is that what you're saying?
I'm not quite sure what your point is. IIRC, Johnson's first year was quite a bit more successful than our recent experience. Johnson put his system in with the players he had and it seemed to work pretty well for a first year effort. If you want to debate angels on the head of a pin, I'm not your man...

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Checked out some of Tulane's offensive performances this year...started off strong then really tailed off as the season progressed. Points were hard to come by for them. The OU game looks like it was an aberration, not the norm. Can't say I would want Lindsey here over someone like Korn, but that's assuming that we would even show interest in Korn (although I think he should be high on the list)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The few times we ran an option this year it was a disaster. Never saw a 3O but it was more like the pros run occasionally. I felt like he ran a very generic offense and no imagination. We ran one play under center with a rocket toss that went for good yardage (maybe a TD). Never saw that again. Was Collins holding some plays/formations back?

Yeha we only really ran zone option concepts and we look like we never practiced them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Actually no he didn't, Roddy has talked about it in the past. in 08 we did a lot of things like delayed handoffs to dwyer, leaned a bit more on the run and shoot than the option side of things until about midway through the season. Which by then we were starting to run ALOT more option mainly because of nesbitt's nack for it and him coming back after injury. The limitation of the playbook really showed at the gardner webb game with booker in there. But the offense johnson ran in 08 was different than 09 and later. He relied on a lot of motion to I concepts a lot more dives and power run with dwyer and even lined up in the power I at times. Not to mention lining up a converted full back at A back to block on power pitch plays.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Learned what actually? An early indicator will be no more Waffle House Wednesdays with extreme gluttony followed by skinny suits. I don't thinks its just about winning, its about representing the institute. Again and unfortunately I've lived in Nebraska for 20 years. Pelini went 9-4 or 10-4 every year. And you know what happened, nobody liked him, didn't represent the university well. And yet again as an old GT alum, I can. deal better with 3-9 than having a clown represent the institute.
That clothing bother's you says more about you than CGC. The team stinks no doubt, but to be bothered by what he wears, really, what century do you live in.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not quite sure what your point is. IIRC, Johnson's first year was quite a bit more successful than our recent experience. Johnson put his system in with the players he had and it seemed to work pretty well for a first year effort. If you want to debate angels on the head of a pin, I'm not your man...

My point is you said a real football coach builds his offense around the players and wouldn't put players in a system they weren't recruited for. Installing a system and playing the players recruited for a different system into it is exactly what Johnson did when he got here. And we struggled on offense a decent bit to start the year.

And nor should he have run a different system. You don't hire Johnson to run anything but his offense. Same as any OC. You hire OCs and Coaches to coach what they know, not to build from the ground up at every stop.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Lindsey is the most accomplished of the trio, and also the oldest. Looks like the other two are good recruiters.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually like the idea of Chip Long with his experience with TE's. I would love to see him take the OC/TE (sorry Wiesenhan) and then bring in Corey Dennis for QB's.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
These all seem pretty underwhelming, honestly. We need innovation, not coaching retreads. I suppose this is the best we can do with a lame duck head coach.
Yep when your big money donors are quoted in the media as saying it is 8 wins or fired for Collins the OC search becomes a lot harder.