OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
There is a stripper at the Cheetah who has a neighbor who knows a guy that heard another guy talking on the phone to CGC. TIM CRAMSEY at Marshall will be the next OC. If you would like more inside info ask for Diamond.
So not the Nevada OC, but the guy that got replaced as the Nevada OC. It's really tough to keep up with Diamond's intel between sets :cool:

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
After watching some film, Zach Kittley would be a very high upside hire. Go look at the offensive ranks of WKU and the film of their offense. Also worked with Patrick mahomes at Texas Tech. He’s a very young and fast rising name. I would love the hire

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Kittley is the best choice, give him the bag...

Because we all know after that it just drops off and then your best choice is some retread or young guy like Corey Dennis getting a shot.

At this point Geoff is fighting for his job so why not try and shoot for the best to help you save.. that means grabbing the best stats guys with something innovative. Not some retread.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Because we all know after that it just drops off and then your best choice is some retread or young guy like Corey Dennis getting a shot.

At this point Geoff is fighting for his job so why not try and shoot for the best to help you save.. that means grabbing the best stats guys with something innovative. Not some retread.

This is a good point that folks need to remember. He can't afford to give an unproven guy a shot. You only get to push the 'fire the coordinators' button once.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
A few random thoughts:

If Stansbury is smart, he’s using this time to vet possible replacements at HC as well.

I’m also wondering if a smart guy like Goose listens to our offer, then surmises that he doesn’t have to outrun the tiger, he just has to outrun Collins. If he is interested in the HC job(which is debatable), why wouldn’t he stay at Miami until Collins is let go instead of hitching his wagon to him.

Collins isn’t a dumb guy. Does he have any veto power on OC pick? I could see him wanting a younger guy like Dennis vs. a older guy with HC experience( Mullen, Cutcliffe, Bobo, Rich rod). At the very least he could hope to be held until the end of the season and have a chance at redemption vs. getting fired and an easy pick interim coach.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
A few random thoughts:

If Stansbury is smart, he’s using this time to vet possible replacements at HC as well.

I’m also wondering if a smart guy like Goose listens to our offer, then surmises that he doesn’t have to outrun the tiger, he just has to outrun Collins. If he is interested in the HC job(which is debatable), why wouldn’t he stay at Miami until Collins is let go instead of hitching his wagon to him.

Collins isn’t a dumb guy. Does he have any veto power on OC pick? I could see him wanting a younger guy like Dennis vs. a older guy with HC experience( Mullen, Cutcliffe, Bobo, Rich rod). At the very least he could hope to be held until the end of the season and have a chance at redemption vs. getting fired and an easy pick interim coach.
Pretty sure Stansbury is not dumb, maybe more than a little egocentric.

Understand your point re:Godsey, but there was no offer. KQ got that wrong. Just an initial contact with an "I'm good" response.

Nobody, but Collins and Stansbury(and maybe their spouses) know the answer to your last question. I would guess that Geoff is on a short leash here; involved in the search, but possibly not the final decision make. He's already shown that he doesn't make great hiring decisions either....

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck

If Collins is on a short leash like we all believe. Not sure we have the jimmies and Joe’s to implement kittleys offense quick enough to save Collins job. If I’m him, I don’t make that hire with my job on the line.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Collins is on a short leash like we all believe. Not sure we have the jimmies and Joe’s to implement kittleys offense quick enough to save Collins job. If I’m him, I don’t make that hire with my job on the line.

Well, in CGC's defense, Godsey was the obvious answer to running his "Pro Style Spread Offense". There's only 32 NFL teams, and thus 32 NFL OCs, that run a "Pro Style Spread Offense". I guess we're going to have to knock on the Kansas City Chief's door and see if we can hire Eric Bienemy now that Godsey turned us down.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
A few random thoughts:

Tom Herman sitting in Chicago waiting on a call. Hire him as OC. We suck next year, but maybe the O shows improvement, can goofball and make Herman HC. The recruiting class will most likely stay together. We show vast improvement, and keep Collins, then hold on to Herman as long as possible but he'll have repaired his rep by then and would be in line for a HC job somewhere. That's how I'd sell it if I were tstan. In the meantime he can help us land some TX cruits. Or if he's HC have a pipeline to there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tom Herman sitting in Chicago waiting on a call. Hire him as OC. We suck next year, but maybe the O shows improvement, can goofball and make Herman HC. The recruiting class will most likely stay together. We show vast improvement, and keep Collins, then hold on to Herman as long as possible but he'll have repaired his rep by then and would be in line for a HC job somewhere. That's how I'd sell it if I were tstan. In the meantime he can help us land some TX cruits. Or if he's HC have a pipeline to there.

Herman is a REALLY good coach. His problem was he thought he could conquer the beast that is Texas Football. If you think GT has issues with big money guys getting too involved, GT is like a high school locker room and Texas Football is like the US Senate with all the backstabbing and undercutting that goes on in that program. Donors there have ego the size of the state of Texas, and they would rather the program sink than not get their way. There's only a handful of coaches that can walk into UT football and make all those big money guys shut up and fall in line...and they haven't been able to convince those handful of coaches to take the job.

Jmonty71

Banned
I am really wondering if TStan and Collins will have to reach to the FCS level? Reason why? I am not sure which FBS coaches will be willing to bet their career on Collins. An FCS coach, will more than likely take that chance to move up in the program, so to speak. I can't say I am overly versed in any FCS coordinators. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see us resorting to that.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I am really wondering if TStan and Collins will have to reach to the FCS level? Reason why? I am not sure which FBS coaches will be willing to bet their career on Collins. An FCS coach, will more than likely take that chance to move up in the program, so to speak. I can't say I am overly versed in any FCS coordinators. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see us resorting to that.

As long as its a 2 year contract it will be fine. Nate woody made 650k from us while doing a defensive analyst gig at michigan then landed his army gig.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

LOTS of really good coaches started out outside of P5 and FBS levels (CPJ, Chip Kelly, Ryan Day, Joe Moorhead, etc). A good coach is a good coach...CGC would do well to see the FCS OFEI equivalent and find a good OC that can take the talent on our roster and turn us into an offensive juggernaut.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On this note, this off-season coaching carousel is absolutely crazy. These highly thought of coordinators will likely get swallowed up with the bigger programs all looking. This is not a good off-season to be looking for a coach if you’re not a blue blood.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Herman is a REALLY good coach. His problem was he thought he could conquer the beast that is Texas Football. If you think GT has issues with big money guys getting too involved, GT is like a high school locker room and Texas Football is like the US Senate with all the backstabbing and undercutting that goes on in that program. Donors there have ego the size of the state of Texas, and they would rather the program sink than not get their way. There's only a handful of coaches that can walk into UT football and make all those big money guys shut up and fall in line...and they haven't been able to convince those handful of coaches to take the job.
Yep I agree. Winning at ut is harder than it looks. All those donors trying to get involved and having their say, the extra time commitment to the longhorn network, etc. You've gotta be more of a politician and delegator than any other job in the country, including bama and ND. It's not like he did bad there either, just not great. He was the hottest name in the country when he was hired.

He's being mentioned for the Auburn OC job, and was mentioned for the Washington HC job. So there doesn't seem to be tons of interest. Seems like folks just forgot about him. If any of our money men are reading this, make tstan give him a call.