Notre Dame will not be a cake walk . . .

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
. . . like I originally thought. Their defense is good and showed an ability to penetrate which can create havoc for any offense especially ours. Our offensive line better eat a lot beans and cornbread between now and then. Our D line will be challenged as well by ND's offensive line.

We will have to hang in there and slug it out with them. I still like our chances but believe we will absolutely have to wear them out and win it at the end. I think our offense is slightly better than theirs and hopefully our defense will play up to their full potential. Butker will probably be the difference.

Go Jackets!
It is going to be tough. On the road, against a team returning most of their players, with all the hoopla associated with the Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus, and everything else. My advice? Run the damn bone down their throats and play good defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Make no mistake, CPJ is looking forward to this game. So many times he's played ND (and all that comes with it) at Navy without a full deck and almost beat them...though he did beat them once. When he left Navy, the AD there mentioned that CPJ wanted to go to a school like GT so he can play a team like ND, and have a full deck.

Well, CPJ has a full deck at GT, and he has one of the best QBs in the college game. He's probably fielding his best defense since he's been at GT (though it's still to be determined fully). He's got skill guys and an OL he could only dream of while at Navy.

ND is a good team. Maybe not as good as they're ranked, but they have a very talented DL, and their LB Jaylon Smith is a top 5 pick in the NFL draft. There's talent on that defense. Their offense is a typical Brian Kelly offense...spread the field, attack vertically and horizontally via the pass, and now Malik Zaire looks to have taken the next step at QB. We could easily go in there and win...or get embarrassed. Guys, ND has a lot of talent on that team...despite what amount of credence you give to recruiting rankings, ND has recruited very well lately. Lots of interesting matchups in this game. Our OL versus their talented DL, JeT versus Jaylon Smith, Our secondary versus an emerging WR Will Fuller (7 catches, 142 yards, 2TDs). Their OL is pretty talented as well with a couple of NFL type guys blocking.

Going to be a fun game.

First, let's take care business with Tulane!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Cool. I was reading "No Different" perhaps too literally. Also, in the context of others putting down Tx to lessen the significance of ND's performance, I inferred you were doing the same.

So, to be clear, you'e saying that you considered ND a legit top 10/15 team, and nothing's changed by that game?

More or less. I'd put them in the 15-20 range because of a new QB, but I think they certainly have top 10 potential.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Look, people are going to find reasons why they should be confident heading into any contest. Personally (this is the coach in me coming out), I think it is never wise to underestimate the enemy. It is the first step towards defeat. I expect ND to be very good. They have given me no reason to think otherwise. We can rationalize all we want about TEX ( I don't happen to think they are very good), but what ND did in that game is indicative of a very formidable opponent. That is fine with me, because I also happen to think we are really good. That makes my excitement factor heading into the game that much better. The threat of a possible loss gives me no pause whatsoever. It is time we raised our sights as a program and looked at such battles as the place we were meant to be, without fear or reservation. This is the arena we belong in, going against the best. If we are who we think we are, we don't need to slip into national contention because of a wussy schedule. The biggest memories from my playing days are always about the days we met our match (in a formidable and possibly superior opponent) and came out on top. It is never how I had a good day against an inferior team.
Thanks I needed that,but quickly because of that reply i've got to pull my esophagus out of my bottom!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Defensively, I expect us to play ND similarly to MSU in the Orange bowl, focus on containing their explosive qb, stopping their running game and limit their passing to between the 20's. They will get a ton of passing yards most likely but hopefully will also make some costly mistakes and at other times be trading field goals for our touchdowns.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Notre Dame, might I remind everyone that at this very this time last year, the Irish had just blownout Michigan 31-0, which was the beginning to a 6-0 start and a top-five ranking in the AP poll by mid-October.

From there, they proceeded to lose five of their last six to close the regular season.

At its peak, Notre Dame was ranked as many as nine spots ahead of eventual champ Ohio State, and it came in six spots in front of the Buckeyes in the first Top 25 released by the Playoff Selection Committee. Notre Dame ended the season unranked, playing in the Music City Bowl.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Regarding Notre Dame, might I remind everyone that at this very this time last year, the Irish had just blownout Michigan 31-0, which was the beginning to a 6-0 start and a top-five ranking in the AP poll by mid-October.

From there, they proceeded to lose five of their last six to close the regular season.

At its peak, Notre Dame was ranked as many as nine spots ahead of eventual champ Ohio State, and it came in six spots in front of the Buckeyes in the first Top 25 released by the Playoff Selection Committee. Notre Dame ended the season unranked, playing in the Music City Bowl.
Those are all facts, no doubt. I don't wan't to become on of their first 5 for this season. Can't take them lightly. Have to expect a tough contest. I love our guys.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As I said on another site, Tech is perhaps as good a team as the one that beat Mississippi State to end the season last year and Notre Dame is certainly a better team than the one that beat LSU to end the season last year.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow

By no means take my comment as being an Irish sympathizer, but their precipitous slide was predicated by a cavalcade of injuries to important players.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I would not say we have all our chips on the table for the ND game. As long as we play with great effort and compete well, even a loss will not take us out of the conversation for the national championship. We will have several other huge opportunities down the road to state our case, including Clemson, FSU and UGA. All of these games will have the feel of Championship games. In reality, every game is a playoff game. So we just need to buckle up and enjoy the ride to the extent possible. I think our team will represent us well this season.

Go Jackets!